Michelle Romano
  • Warminster, PA
Votes |
Sell or Hold Existing Rental Property

Michelle Romano
  • Warminster, PA
Posted Dec 13 2016, 20:33

Hello,

I posted this on the general forum but wanted to post this in PA Forum since the property is in PA. IO I am seeking advice or suggestions on two rental properties I own. To avoid confusion I prefer to post one at a time. The first is a townhome rental in Jamison, Bucks County, Pa. I originally purchased new in 1996 and lived there for 9 yrs. I moved out and rented to an elderly couple for 9 yrs. Last October the man took ill and left unexpectedly (they owned 1.5 month rent). I had to update the property and at the same time, pay the existing mortgage and line of credit loan, utilities plus contractor and materials. After 5 months empty, I rented the property in March 2016. The new tenants lease is 1 year (going through divorce), He pays on time and now wants to purchase my property. My question is, as an investment, should I continue to rent or sell and purchase another property? Here are the numbers:

Purchased Price: 137,000

Mortgage Balance: 67,000

Line of Credit 54,000

Current Sold Comps Approx, $310,000

Current rental income: 1800.00/mo

My concerns are:

1. Capital Gains would be approx 28,000.

2. There are only 1 or 2 rentals in the neighborhood. Should I continue to rent?

3. Uncertain of market in 2017

4. Will probably need a new roof, heater & AC since they have never been replaced and I don't have the money for the repairs.

5. Is a 1031 exchange a good idea to a duplex or triplex so there is always income.

6. just continue to rent.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as his lease is up end of February.Write your post

Loading replies...