Looking for advice : Bank appraisal lower than tax assessed value

Looking for advice : Bank appraisal lower than tax assessed value

San Francisco, CA · Member since 2016 · 56 posts · 10 votes

I'm under contract to purchase a SFH 3/2 in Milwaukee in the 53215 zipcode. It's a nice property in a decent area with shopping, and transportation nearby. I've had 6 interested parties reaching out to rent after a recent Craig's List post, so it looks like tenants won't be difficult to find. Monthly rent is advertised at $1,200. I've crunched the numbers, and it looks like monthly cash flow will be around $100 after saving for repairs, and all expenses etc. I discovered that the tax assessed value is $20k higher than the purchase price, which initially had me excited about the property.

However, the bank appraisal came back at just above the purchase price. Initially, I was fine with low cash flow because I figured with built in equity, I could refinance down the road, get my downpayment out, and reinvest the capital in another property. With appreciation somewhat flat in this market, and low cash flow, and a purchase price at just below the bank appraised value, I'm wondering if this is still worth pursuing.

This house doesn't really need work done before the tenants move in either. I've started to consider getting a property that needs more work, investing in a light rehab, and then flipping, so I'd be renting with better cash flow, and equity in place should I want to refinance down the road. Would love to hear any ideas that I could implement with this current property that could increase the value. 

I'd love to hear advice from anyone who's familiar with this type of scenario, this market, or any insight into investment strategy in a scenario like this one. This is my first property. I'd like to get off on the right foot. 

0Reply
60 views

Most Popular Reply

Russell BrazilBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
9y

Sounds like the appraisal price came in right where it does 99.99% of the time. Right at or slightly above the sales price. You shouldn't expect anything different.

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Brownville, ME · Member since 2017 · 83 posts · 35 votes
    9y

    Do you know why the appraisal came in so low? Did you personally look at comps in the area to get an idea of the true value of the house? An appraiser is generally going to base the value on the most recent sale of the property if it was recently sold, then comps. 

    I've run across this problem working in rural areas where comps are hard to come by and the appraiser wants to value it just above purchase price.

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2016 · 56 posts · 10 votes
    9y

    @Sean Cassidy I looked it over again, and I it looks like the appraiser incorrectly read the contract price, and then used it in his appraisal to appraise the property at the sales price using what he calls 'the sales method' to arrive at the appraisal value. There is a comp nearby that is less square footage, and over $40k over the contract price listed in the appraisal. I'm glad I took another look. If this property is indeed worth more than the contract price, how can I have it appraised so that there is the potential to recoup my downpayment in the future with a refinance? What are your thoughts on this scenario in general?

  • Johnson City, TN · Member since 2014 · 586 posts · 705 votes
    9y

    An appraisal done today has no effect upon an appraisal done 6 months from now. Also, a tax value appraisal is often unrelated to market value. 

  • Investor · Columbus, GA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    The tax appraisal has absolutely nothing to do with value.  Next year,  the county should adjust the tax appraisal value to the price you purchased it for this year. 

    The real issue is only $100 of net cash flow. One hot water heater could eat up months of profit. You are paying too much. I would renegotiate the price with the seller or walk away.

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2016 · 56 posts · 10 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed True, but I've found the tax assessed value is usually under  the fair market value. Not the opposite.  Have you found this to be the case as well?

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    9y

    Sounds like the appraisal price came in right where it does 99.99% of the time. Right at or slightly above the sales price. You shouldn't expect anything different.

  • Investor · Columbus, GA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    The current appraisal is valid for 6 months. 

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2016 · 56 posts · 10 votes
    9y

    @Russell Brazil The property was listed for sale below this appraised value. There were a lot of interested buyers, and my offer was accepted, which drove up the price. The appraiser determined the value using what he called the 'sales method', which means he based it off my accepted offer price. That number made sense to me, but that doesn't make me qualified to assess the value of the home. I made it low to get a good deal. 

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Jackson Sandland:

    @Russell Brazil The property was listed for sale below this appraised value. There were a lot of interested buyers, and my offer was accepted, which drove up the price. The appraiser determined the value using what he called the 'sales method', which means he based it off my accepted offer price. That number made sense to me, but that doesn't make me qualified to assess the value of the home. I made it low to get a good deal. 

     If you had paid less for it....the appraisal would have come in lower. If you had paid more for it, the appraisal would have come in higher. The appraiser is using the sales price as the starting point and finding the data to support that price.

  • Wholesaler · Myrtle Beach, SC · Member since 2017 · 276 posts · 80 votes
    9y

    @Jackson Sandland In order for you to have an increase in value based on an appraisal in the future you will have to rehab the property. You'll have to come up with a detailed scope of work and a licensed contractor with a legitimate bid. If you do this then you can go to your lender, give them a purchase and rehab cost and get your loan that way. The appraisal will be based on the ARV after the work is done and would be a lot higher than the sales price. Actually , depending on the lender, once you complete the work you can refinance with little or no seasoning period to get the lower rate and recoup some cash.

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2016 · 56 posts · 10 votes
    9y

    @Anthony Dooley Taxes are a little high. It would be great if the taxes reflect the sales price. Are you familiar with how to have the county tax assessor apply the new value? That would be very helpful. 

  • Investor · Brownville, ME · Member since 2017 · 83 posts · 35 votes
    9y

    I'd echo Russell and George here. In order to get a higher appraisal you'll need to give the lender a better reason than you under paid. The value of a property is based on what the market will reasonably yield. You're the high bidder, so that's the value of the property.

     In order to get more out of it you have to do something to increase the value. Look at comps in the area and see what they have that you don't. Curb appeal can work wonders and can be done cheaply. So can carpet/flooring and paint. Just a thought, but if you don't have the money or any solid plan to increase the value and the place isn't turning a decent profit I'd have to walk away. 

    This is why I don't hold turnkey SFH personally. I can't make it work and not lose sleep worrying that one little thing will wipe out a whole years profit.

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2016 · 56 posts · 10 votes
    9y

    @George Taylor Thanks. This sounds like a good strategy. The property could be updated. The only caveat there is that I'm sinking even more cash into the property. The neighborhood is typically more owners, than renters, so that may bode well for a re-sale at some point for a retail price. What updates do you find boost selling price in a substantial way?

  • Investor · Columbus, GA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Jackson Sandland. The county should do this automatically, but you can talk to them after the sale is completed. You can also show them the new appraisal. I still think you are either over paying or over calculating for caped and vacancies 

  • Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2014 · 180 posts · 114 votes
    9y

    @Jackson Sandland - The City of Milwaukee will send you a notification letter regarding reassessment after sale.  You have the option of allowing the assessor to go through the property or having them perform an exterior only inspection.  If the interior is rough, you may elect to bring them through to help keep the tax assessment reasonable but don't expect any miracles or drastic reductions.  The overall process can take almost a year.  I received a reassessment notice on Saturday for a property I purchased last May.

    $100 cashflow per month seems pretty tight for the zip code you referenced.  If you are in the southwest corner of it, you are into a more solid buy and hold area but if you are in the northern half of that zip code I would need to see a lot more $/mo because your appreciation is very limited.

    Good luck.

  • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    9y

    @Jackson Sandland i have done a lot of SFR BRRRRs in the last years and it is interesting to see how appraisals for pretty much identical properties come it at +/- 10%. Sometimes the refi comes in low and sometimes high - it averages out over time. My point is, it's not always an exact sience and when you are ready to refi, you may have better "luck" - sounds wrong, but a favorable appraisal can make up most of your equity.

    On a sale they will often use the sales price as a starting point, but on a rehab they don't have much to work off and have to establish value from scratch. I have had good success providing a list of improvements because it helps the appraiser looking for comps. I have once made the mistake to provide also a number of suggested comps, but that must have rubbed my appraiser the wrong way, as he used a completley different set of properties, none of which have been remodelled. It can be frustrating..

    A few words on appreciation. Milwaukee is much diverse than most out of state investors think at first. While 2016 values have gone up only 4.3% overall, that is a mix between huge increases on the east side near the lake and flat line in the inner city. Most of the suburbs have seen double digit increases and have now caught up to 2006 values. Rents are also much higher in these more desirable areas. Milwaukee comes in many different flavors and matching up your investment goals with the neighborhood is key.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Racine, WI · Member since 2016 · 41 posts · 26 votes
    9y

    My Triplex that I am house-hacking is in 53215.  Based on my experience, I am guessing that the tax assessment will be set to match the purchase price.  My cash flow, when I move out and rent the unit that I am, in will exceed yours by 5x.  Single Family in this zip code?  I dunno, man.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.