I am new to this, so I hope I am doing this right... I feel like most people start their discussions with a brief intro, so I figure I will do the same... I believe I am in a unique situation, and am primed to jump into real estate investing. I worked part time at a Real Estate company, and as a realtor while going to college, mostly just did deals for Friends & Family. I graduated in Construction Management, and have been in the construction industry for the last 10 years, working for a large and mid-sized GC. With a growing family, and being in the construction industry, I have moved around CA quite a bit for the last decade, and am now in my 5th house in 14 years. Even without the investment mentality, I was able to make pretty good money on all the transactions, including my last sale where we didn't use a realtor. My last purchase I did a major renovation that took about 7 months to complete. With my experience working in a Real Estate office, my "multiple" personal home transactions, as well as working in the construction industry, I feel I more prepared than most to get started in Real Estate Investing, specifically buying, renovating, and holding for the long term (See Brandon Turner's BRRR approach). However, having said all that, I don't want to assume I know everything, I know I don't, and am trying to soak up all I can to make sure I am truly prepared for my first real investment property. Now that I have set the stage, here is my first of many questions:
I know there are many benefits to going in with an all cash offer, and that often times if you do go in with an all cash offer you may be able to get a better deal. The question is, would it make sense to use a majority of my investment cash to go in with an all cash offer to get the better deal, then a few months down the line (maybe after Reno is done to avoid some carrying costs) get a mortgage at that point, and pull most of the cash back out for the next deal? (I was exploring something similar to this on one of my personal houses a few years back, and I believe in CA you have to wait 6 months to pull the cash out). Or would I be better off getting a mortgage right at purchase, then use the remaining cash for other deals I may miss out on while waiting for my cash to free up? I can think of some pros (better deal, quicker deal, less carrying costs, etc.) and cons (interest rates possibly going up, all my eggs in one basket, etc.) to both, but I am curious to hear from others to get their perspective. Thanks!
Instead of putting all your eggs in the basket you should consider leveraging the cash out for the rehab and carri g costs of the subject. typically lenders take issue with the cash out after closing however Hml lenders do not have that restriction. Without knowing your financial situation it is also hard to recommend and approach.
you can do delayed financing to get your cash out... wait till after the reno is done then you can get it at the new ARV.... and you'd skip some the fees.
This is exactly what the BRRRR method is.
Delayed financing is a good option, look into it. This can alleviate seasoning annoyances, but there are stips.
Also, paying cash 'sometimes' gets you a better deal depending on the market, but what it really allows you to do is move swiftly and without headache, and that is valuable to nearly everyone involved in the process. Putting a loan on later is usually much easier as well rather than trying to line up the loan with the purchase.
Make sure to talk to the lender before you purchase so you know how things need to get lined up for easy underwriting later. I've saved so much headache by including my lender before I purchased rather than just showing up later and asking for money.
There are perm lenders who will do up to 75% LTV cash out refi with less than 6 months of seasoning.
@Tyler Blodgett welcome to BP!
Here is something I found here on BP that I copied and will paste it for your information. I think your in a prime position for delayed financing. Here goes:
1. The Conventional Rules For a Cash Out Loan
Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are the Government Agencies that sponsor conventional lending. Most banks will have these loans as an option. There are other loan types as well but for brevity we will limit this post to the “Conventional” lending (Fannie/Freddie).
Value” on a Single-Family home (70% on a 2-4 unit home). This is also the same percentage that you need for a non-cash out refinance (more on why that is important later).
• If you purchased the investment property with a loan,then conventional loans will require you to wait 6 month to take cash out.
If you purchased a property with a 15% down conventional loan (85% loan to value) and you wanted to get cash out, you wouldn’t be able to do so since the cash out limit is 75% of the “Loan to Value”. The MAXIMUM cash out you can receive is 75% of the value of the property.
If you purchased a property with a loan, but did the rehab on with your own cash, then you would need to wait 6 months to get that cash back. Keep in mind you could only receive 75% back of the After Repair Value.
So if you bought a home with a loan of $50k, it required $30k in renovations, and it appraised for $100k after the repair work was complete then....
You would refinance the $50k loan, receive back $25k in cash...since
$75k would be 75% of the After Repair Value.
2. Buying a home with Cash
Buying a home with cash has become increasingly popular for many investors but often an investor will be caught with the restrictions to cash out loans if they need to get their money back. There is a plan to avoid this entire section (In section 3) but it is important for us to know about these restrictions. If an investor is buying with cash and flipping they get their money back when they sell the property. But if they are seeking to hold a property for any length of time and want their cash investment back there are some important rules to understand with conventional loan:
If you buy a property with cash (or with a HELOC) you can receive a cash out loan on Day 1.
There is not a 6 month waiting period with receiving a cash out loan if you purchased a home with cash or with a HELOC
BUT you will be limited to the amount of....
Your purchase price + closing costs (costs when you purchased the home)
75% of the “After Repair Value”...
WHICHEVER IS THE LOWER AMOUNT (super important)
These rules are important to understand so here are two examples:
Example 1: If you purchased a home with $50k of cash, and put $30k of renovations into the loan, and the home was worth $100k. 75% is $75k and $50k is your purchase
price. So you could only receive $50k in your first 6 months of ownership since the
LOWER amount is your purchase price. After 6 months you could receive the full 75% of the ARV.
Example 2: If you purchased a home with $80k of cash, put $5k into the home, and the home was worth $100k. 75% would be $75k and your purchase price is $80k...so the lower amount is $75k.
When buying a home with cash you can absolutely get cash back right away but you will be limited to the lower of those two amounts.
3. HOW TO PROPERLY STRUCTURE BUYING A HOME WITH CASH
With these rules, you can see how it can be confusing to get conventional lending when buying a home with cash but there is absolutely a proper method to structuring your deals when buying cash. Here’s the secret:
Create an LLC and have the LLC lend you a mortgage on the property you are
The reason why this works is because instead of you needing cash or receiving a cash out loan, we are now refinancing a loan – your loan. There no reason to wait any time or have any “whichever is lower” rule come into play. We are just refinancing a loan.
Here’s how it works:
You create an LLC
You buy a home
Your LLC gives you a loan for the home
You file the deed for that loan at the county courthouse
You use the money from the LLC to buy and fix up the property
Once the property is completed, your conventional lender comes to refinance the loan Your conventional lender runs title and sees there is a loan.
Your conventional lender refinances you into a new loan, and cuts a check to your LLC in the amount of 75% of the value.
Please don't confuse this 75% with a "cash out" amount. The non-cash out LTV on a refinance is also 75%. We are refinancing a mortgage. Your LLC's mortgage. Essentially your LLC has become the bank/hard money lender/etc. However you want to think about it. You get to set the interest rate (it can be 0%) and you get your investment amount back sooner.
Some things to think of:
To file a deed at the county courthouse is $100-$150 in cost (depending on which county)
And you want that note to be pretty close to 70% of the ARV for the property if you don't want to bring any money to closing. 70% will allow you to roll in your closing costs. If you want it to be at 75% just keep in mind you would need to bring your closing costs out of your pocket to complete the refinance.
Hope this helps. All the best to you