ARV on two story house with no two story comps

3 Replies

Hi BP

I am trying to estimate ARV on a house with 2 stories that has no comps in area without 2 stories. How much value would this second story add in Nor Cal or where would I find this out?

@Cody Evans

That is a tough one. You could do an ARV projection based off the price per square foot of the properties which are most comparable although without a second story

@Cody Evans if you are looking to flip I️t then you might have a problem selling I️t since I️t will be the most expensive home in that zip code.

@Cody Evans generally single story sells at a premium to two-story given equivalent square footage. So if there are no two-story comps try to find a single-story with similar square footage, bed/bath count, year built and lot size. Then deduct a little. How much to deduct?  That’s tough to answer...it depends on the market.  Could be $0. Could be $25K. In higher-priced product to could be more than $25K.  

You’ll be a test pilot here because without two-story comps the true answer is unproven.  If the subject has far more square footage than the single-story comp set you’ll really be flying blind. Price per square foot won’t work when there are large variances between the comp set square footage and the subject. 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.