• Rental Property Investor
  • Frisco, TX
Votes |
5th property under contract year ONE

Douglas Rice
  • Frisco, TX
Posted Nov 11 2018, 17:55
I am not sure any of this would be possible without bigger pockets. Last October I bought my first SFR and rehabbed it in 2 months. Added a 4th bedroom with extra space after hearing strategy on a podcast. Rented it and tenant is coming up on 1year. I March I acquired a triplex out of state. Inherited 3 long term tenants and property has needed a little maintenance this year. Getting ready to raise rents to market value and add another $300 in monthly income. This month I closed on a 3/2 SFR from a wholesaler and am putting 20k into rehab. Paid 99k and will list for 175K or rent for $1400. I also have a 4/2 under contract for $230k. Close in 2 weeks. Bought from a wholesaler and expect a small rehab and quick flip to make 30k. This will put me back in acquisition mode to start 2019. I DID THIS ALL WITH A FULL TIME JOB. IF I CAN DO IT ANYONE CAN. THE KEY IS TO JUST GET STARTED.

User Stats

Votes
Troy Welch
Pro Member
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Houston, TX
Replied Nov 11 2018, 18:06

That is pretty amazing. Congrats. I bought my 1st in September. Rehab is taking longer than expected due to me not hiring a project manager and not being able to pull the trigger like I should have. I understand this now so it has been a learning experience. I really want to get this one rented and start on the next one. 

How are you handling the finances of 5 properties?

User Stats

Votes
Brian Charles
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • New York, NY
Replied Nov 12 2018, 04:45
@Douglas Rice - great quick start!
BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Douglas Rice
  • Frisco, TX
Votes |
  • Frisco, TX
Replied Nov 12 2018, 04:47

@Troy Welch I used traditional financing on the first 2 as they were deals off the MLS. The last three I used hard money.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Nov 12 2018, 05:08

@Douglas Rice thanks for sharing your journey with us. It's good to see you're experiencing such great success early on. Can you tell us what your greatest mistake or difficulty has been so far?

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Douglas Rice
  • Frisco, TX
Votes |
  • Frisco, TX
Replied Nov 12 2018, 05:52

@Nathan Gesner the biggest difficulty has been estimating rehab costs. I have underestimated every project. It all worked out OK so far, but I need to get better at this aspect. 

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Nov 12 2018, 06:22

@Douglas Rice have you looked at the BiggerPockets book store? They have a book specifically on the subject of estimating rehab costs. 

Another option: take a couple contractors to lunch or pay them for an hour of time and have them educate you on how to estimate rehab costs.

Third option: check out this web site that gives estimated costs for certain projects based on your region. It's probably not accurate enough to budget with but can give you a rough idea of cost and estimated return on investment.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Douglas Rice
  • Frisco, TX
Votes |
  • Frisco, TX
Replied Nov 12 2018, 06:24

@Nathan Gesner thanks so much. I have the rehab book, also have been taking my contractors with me as much as possible. I’ll check out the website. 

User Stats

Votes
Amul Sutaria
  • Montville, NJ
Votes |
  • Montville, NJ
Replied Nov 13 2018, 05:04
@Douglas Rice great!!! Thanks for sharing! What’s your monthly cash flow, if you don’t mind me asking...

User Stats

Votes
Douglas Rice
  • Frisco, TX
Votes |
  • Frisco, TX
Replied Nov 13 2018, 05:07

@Amul Sutaria I will be about $1100 between the 5 doors when I get a renter in the current rehabbed single family. $500 on the triplex, $400 on one SFR and $200 on the other.