• Germany and Jacksonville, FL
Votes |
[Calc Review] Help me analyze this deal

Dolly La Salle
Pro Member
Posted Oct 14 2019, 20:12

View report

*This link comes directly from our calculators, based on information input by the member who posted.

User Stats

Votes
Tim Herman
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Oct 15 2019, 03:40

@Dolly La Salle I assume the rent is after the 12 month lease. It's $150 more than you are currently getting. 5% vacancy is 1 month out of 20. I use 8%. Repairs of $600 per year might be okay. Capex is way low. I use a minimum of 10%. Floors have a lifespan of 8 years. Let's assume you have 1200 sf of hardwood floors. In my area it is $3.50 to sand and refinish, 1200 sf *$3.50=$4200/8 year life span/12 months in a year =$44 per month. You still need to budget for a roof 25 year life span, appliances and hot water heater 12 year life span, hvac 20 year life span, driveway 20 year life span, and others i could name.

User Stats

Votes
Dolly La Salle
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Oct 18 2019, 02:18

@Tim 

@Tim Herman Thank you very much for your feedback. I truly appreciate it. I decided not to buy this property. I have learned to make my calculations more accurate. For a house that has been recently updated, do you still charge a minimum of 10%? The numbers that I need to account for that is mentioned in your feeback has been very helpful. I've added it to my notes! Thank you.

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Tim Herman
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Oct 20 2019, 17:03

@Dolly La Salle It's more accurate to use numbers instead of a percentage. I use a minimum of 10% capex  for sfh. There is a spreadsheet that @ sam tato created that has the capex and the amount of time before it needs to be replaced.  It is located in the files section of BP. 

User Stats

Votes
Dolly La Salle
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Oct 21 2019, 05:59

@Tim 

@Tim Herman Thank you. I tried searching for Sam Tato's spreadsheet here in BP, but was unable to find it. Can you please provide the URL where it is posted? I appreciate it. Thank you! Do you use this spreadsheet every time you analyze a deal?

User Stats

Votes
Dolly La Salle
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Oct 25 2019, 02:46

@Tim Herman Thank you very much for the CapEx spreadsheet. Much appreciated!