Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Kyle J.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Northern, CA
Votes |
Success stories from 2012 AND what do you plan on doing in 2013

Kyle J.
  • Northern, CA
Posted

I went to a REI club meeting earlier this week, and the vast majority of the meeting was spent listening to other members' success stories from throughout the year. We were able to hear what other investors have done and/or are doing, as well as some of the actual numbers from their deals. It was very motivating and informative.

Additionally, with the changes in the market that we've seen over this past year (i.e. hedge funds buying more aggressively, increasing home prices, lower inventory, etc), there was also some discussion on if/how investors plan on altering their investment strategy in the coming year.

I think we could all benefit and get inspired from hearing what other BP'ers are doing. So...who would like to share?

User Stats

Votes
Andy Bankston
  • Investor
  • Kennesaw, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Kennesaw, GA
Replied
Originally posted by Will Barnard:
Unfortunately, per Josh, Vegas is out of the question (no idea why) so no worries on the craps budget! :)

Guess that means I'll just have to plan a separate trip for Vegas. It might be better that way anyway. Every time I've gone to Vegas for a conference I ended up doing lots of things besides attending the conference! I didn't get to go to Vegas last year so I'm getting the itch.

Account Closed
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Replied

In our club, we have a time at each monthly meeting to share successes. Amazing to hear what people are able to accomplish.

Personally, I run things in Quarters. So in Q4 of 2012 acquired, rehabbed 17 units. (3 units still being finished up). All have tenants moved in, (except the 3) but have a tenant moving in to one on Feb 1.

For Q1 of 2013, Goal is 12 units for rents. 3 Flips acquired and sold.

I will finish up a new PPM for real estate funding including the first round of subscription filled.

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
John McCombs
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Riverside, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Riverside, CA
Replied

Humble highlights from 2012:
HARP 2.0 refinances lowered my payments and terms. (Thank you President Obama!)
Rising rents increased cash flow significantly.
A modification reduced the term on one loan.
Foundation repairs plagued my rentals during the Texas drought.
Carpet, paint, rinse and repeat.

User Stats

Votes
Shaun Reilly
  • Landlord and Rehabber
  • Newton, MA
Votes |
  • Landlord and Rehabber
  • Newton, MA
Replied

2012 was the year my RE business really took off.
Sold 5 flips for profits ranging from $34K to $63K each also wholesaled one deal since it was the 2nd one I had gotten under contract THAT DAY and 3rd in 4 days (THAT was a nice week!:) ).
I also aquired one new local rental and also started investing in out of state rentals in PA and had one place rent ready by the end of the year.

So far in 2013 I have sold my first carry over flip, have 2 others on the market with lots of interest and the last carry over about 1-2 weeks from completion.
I have rented out the place in PA and will be aquiring 3 more doors in 2 properties at the end of the month.
All these rentals are expected to bring in >20% returns.

Flip inventory has been tight recently and I do not have anything in the pipline so 2013 will be a year of expanded marketing to get deals here.

User Stats

Votes
Will Barnard
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Santa Clarita, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Santa Clarita, CA
ModeratorReplied
Flip inventory has been tight recently and I do not have anything in the pipline so 2013 will be a year of expanded marketing to get deals here.
That is the case in many areas,including mine. Must work harder and smarter to find deals to flip.

User Stats

Votes
Manuel A.
  • Rehabber
  • Albuquerque, NM - New Mexico
Votes |
  • Rehabber
  • Albuquerque, NM - New Mexico
Replied
no worries on the craps budget! :)

Will Barnard Craps!? Everyone know's it's all about Texas Hold'em ;)

User Stats

Votes
Will Barnard
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Santa Clarita, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Santa Clarita, CA
ModeratorReplied
Originally posted by Manuel Acuna:
Craps!? Everyone know's it's all about Texas Hold'em ;)
Very true, that is my game, although I am starting to love ande do well at Backarat.

User Stats

Votes
Andy Bankston
  • Investor
  • Kennesaw, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Kennesaw, GA
Replied
Originally posted by Manuel Acuna:
no worries on the craps budget! :)

Will Barnard Craps!? Everyone know's it's all about Texas Hold'em ;)

Ha, You are correct. I've been playing Hold'Em since before TV made it popular. I started playing craps to pass the time while waiting on a seat to open up at the poker table and got hooked on that too.

User Stats

Votes
Ben Leybovich
  • Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH
Votes |
  • Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH
Replied

Brandon Turner Are you sure that we are not related – we think so much alike... In 2012 I purchased 1 building, the 10-unit that I’ve told you about. With this purchase my passive CF exceeded my earned income and thus I no longer have a job.

In 2012 I became a better father. I realized that the focus of everything I do is my family, everything else is just the means. So, I chose to stay home with my kids a lot more in lieu of hiring a babysitter. I worked at home and completed the Cash Flow Freedom University, which I am proud of – I mostly worked during nap-times and at night. Finally, I’ve had a pretty good year as a real estate agent selling residences and long-term holds to like-minded investors.

Also, in 2012 I realized something that all of us need to learn at one point:

I am NOT in control. We can have a plan, and we should. But, ultimately we are not in control.

User Stats

Votes
Dell Schlabach
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Canton-Akron, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Canton-Akron, OH
Replied

2011 Hired two guys, started building a rehab team. By the end of the year I had for guys. We rehabbed and sold 6 houses that year.

2012 I took 1 of those trained guys and started the second crew, we rehabbed and sold 12 houses.

2013 Took another trained guy and started a third crew, also just hired the best Lowes pro guy to run another crew, subbing out most of the work. I want to compare the two, see which method is most profitable and easiest to run
We get 90% of our deals from the mls, i think well be good for at least another year with this method. We are expanding our area and also adding hire priced homes. Its getting a lot more difficult but well ramp up the offer machine.

Planning on doing one rehab in fla this winter and start one crew there for 2015, using a bit different strategy as the market changes.

Most of our rehabs are in the 110-140 range. Profits per house last year 12,000-26,000. Working on lining up cheaper money so I can add an extra 5,000-7,000 per deal. Also working higher priced homes should help with the margin. Just bought a 240k arv that should double my upper end profit and take the same amount of time to time to rehab.