Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Chris Noles
  • Investor
  • Jasper, ga
Votes |
Will my current home cashflow well?

Chris Noles
  • Investor
  • Jasper, ga
Posted May 20 2020, 07:32

Hi! My wife and I are new to real estate investing. Since we are planning to purchase and move into a new home for our primary residence, we are trying to figure out if our current home will cashflow well. Our situation is complicated, so I am having a really hard time getting any calculators to give us a good assessment. Here is what we have going on - Our current home is a 1969 brick ranch home. 3BR/3 Bath. 2 small finished rooms in the basement (no bed or bath in the basement). We took out a $50K personal loan (not a HELOC) to remodel both bathrooms, replace kitchen tile floors, install new breaker box/electrical, install a new french drain, and replace some older copper pipes with PEX. We have a balance of $47,000 on this loan with a remaining term of 76 months at an interest rate of 12.87%. The home could sell for between $195K and $205K, and homes like this are selling fast in this area. We have 23 months remaining on our home mortgage, and our balance is $146,000 at an interest rate of 4.25%. Our property taxes are $2,208.00 annually, and our monthly mortgage payment with taxes and insurance is $1,221.62 monthly.

The mortgage broker that I am working with says we could keep and refi this house on a 30 year term at 3.75% when we close on a new house.  This would bring the mortgage payment down to about $1050.00 per month including taxes & insurance.  

We see other homes like ours rent for around $1,500 to $1,700 per month without finishing the basement to add more rooms.  The good news is that we have covered most of the major capex replacement in the last five years (HVAC, plumbing, electrical, etc.) 

We are trying to decide what might be the best thing to do considering the pandemic:

A.) Sell the home and get the $40K to $55K cash equity and invest somewhere else before home values drop again.

B.) Sell the home, get the equity and househack a new home.

C.) Buy a new home and rent the old home while getting some cashflow and slowly build capital gains.

D.) Buy a new home and seek out a multi-plex home or REIT investment.

Unfortunately, this particular area in Atlanta has been slow to recover since 2008, and home values have not appreciated like other areas of Atlanta. 

I know that we could finish the basement for another $45K, and that would add 3 more bedrooms and 2 bathrooms that could cashflow at around $1200/mo but we are concerned about dumping more money into this home while still trying to payoff the personal loan for other home improvements.

On a personal note, my mother in law is currently living here with us, and if we keep the home she can pay us rent and bring in other "golden girl" tenants.  On the other hand, we could just get a new home with an in law suite.

I am really struggling to figure out if keeping this home makes sense at all.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Loading replies...