Votes |
BRRRR Investing in Roanoke

Glenn Hastings
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Gainesville, VA
Posted Feb 17 2021, 11:24

Investment Info:

Single-family residence buy & hold investment.

Purchase price: $99,000
Cash invested: $10,000

BRRRR. 2/1 into 4/2. Refi'd out at 99k with only 10k left in the deal.

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

BRRRR Trial in new investment area. I wanted to see what the market held before investing more in the area.

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

Found it on the MLS and offered 75% of asking price of which they took it without negotiation.

How did you finance this deal?

HELOC of the purchase and then personal money to rehab. Then we refinanced.

How did you add value to the deal?

Finished the basement making it into a 4/2 from a 2/1. Added HVAC and legitimate plumbing. Increased square footage and made it an open floor plan. Added deck and parking to the back of the house.

What was the outcome?

Appraisal at 132k with 110k into it of which we took out 99k.

Lessons learned? Challenges?

Should have offered less for the property. We purposely bought the worst house we could find so we knew exactly what we would be up against if we wanted to do more.

Did you work with any real estate professionals (agents, lenders, etc.) that you'd recommend to others?

My brother, Kyle Hastings, is a lender whom I worked through. And I had an agent that is a close friend that I would recommend.

User Stats

Votes
Caleb Brown
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Blue Springs
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Blue Springs
Replied Feb 17 2021, 12:01

Nice start!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 17 2021, 12:08

@Glenn Hastings Where was the property? Just generally (Northeast, Southwest, etc), not looking for the address. Thanks. And this looks like a pretty good deal.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Dmitriy Fomichenko
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
#1 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Solo 401k Expert
  • Anaheim Hills, CA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
#1 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Solo 401k Expert
  • Anaheim Hills, CA
Replied Feb 17 2021, 17:02

Thanks for sharing Glenn, wish you much success with it! 

User Stats

Votes
Glenn Hastings
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Gainesville, VA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Gainesville, VA
Replied Feb 17 2021, 17:23

@Jason Davis it is in the SE area of Roanoke 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 17 2021, 17:28

Thanks very much. I thought it was probably SE. I've looked at several places over that way and just never pulled the trigger on anything.

User Stats

Votes
Brian Beck
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Fredericksburg, Va
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Fredericksburg, Va
Replied Feb 22 2021, 18:17

@Glenn Hastings  Congrats!   I've been looking at Roanoke recently as well, I have family friends who live in the area and price point is much more manageable than the DC area.  I'm currently working on flips but want to get into long-term buy and holds.  What made you look into Roanoke?

User Stats

Votes
Glenn Hastings
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Gainesville, VA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Gainesville, VA
Replied Feb 23 2021, 04:15

@Brian Beck I’m currently in the NOVA area not far from you actually. We should link up. I’ve been looking at doing some more flips but want to keep the Buy and Holds so I can eventually get out of my govt job. 

I went to Radford University not far from Roanoke. Had some friends that were from there and liked the area, then in my govt life, I had a classmate of mine that was a cop there and was an agent and a property management company. His mom and dad are really good friends of mine and they have been down there for over 40 years. They are agents, own a brokerage, lenders, and appraisers. So I figured I had part of a team In place down there so I should start doing some market research. There were a few things that peaked my interest... growing market, gentrification and jobs. VA Tech just launched a MD program with Carillon Hospitals in Roanoke, Breweries and Coffe Shops started opening up, flippers started coming in, Chick-fil-A, Lowe's and Starbucks all opened up shops and some luxury apartment complexes opened up as well. These are just some of the things I saw.

User Stats

Votes
Brian Beck
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Fredericksburg, Va
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Fredericksburg, Va
Replied Feb 24 2021, 14:57

@Glenn Hastings I have similar goals, utilizing the flips currently to try and build up capital for buy and holds.  I actually have a friend on the police force in Roanoke City also.   Having a built-in team is nice.   I was down there a year or so ago (right before Covid) and was surprised at how much there was there.  Not sure if it will be as stable as Northern Virginia but the price point is much more bearable and it looks like it'll cash flow a little easier.  Will you be buying more in the area?

User Stats

Votes
Glenn Hastings
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Gainesville, VA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Gainesville, VA
Replied Mar 1 2021, 05:59

@Brian Beck yes absolutely! Taking the refi money and I just put 3 triplexes and a duplex under contract. Cashflow is much easier but property value doesn’t increase much like it does up here. My current tenant is a cop down there. My buddy was one down there who sold me on investing down there.

User Stats

Votes
Rich Banks
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Silver Spring, MD
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Silver Spring, MD
Replied Mar 1 2021, 06:55

This was great to read! Nice deal! 

I'm in the Washington Metro Area and Roanoke, Va. was one of the places I have looked at to invest out-of-state. I have family there and the prices looked great. Your financing strategy was also something I have looked into trying for myself. 

Thanks for the post and good luck in the future!

Rich

User Stats

Votes
Brian Beck
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Fredericksburg, Va
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Fredericksburg, Va
Replied Mar 2 2021, 18:29

@Glenn Hastings Congrats, keep us posted on how you do down there.   I'm interested in it as a cash-flowing market, wouldn't really bank on the appreciation there as I would up here, I'm very interested in how you do down there!

User Stats

Votes
Glenn Hastings
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Gainesville, VA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Gainesville, VA
Replied Mar 3 2021, 03:05

@Rich Banks im in the DC area as well. Definitely a great market

User Stats

Votes
Mark Brogan
  • Investor
  • Roanoke, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Roanoke, VA
Replied Mar 4 2021, 11:08

@Glenn Hastings, message me if you do anymore in the Roanoke area, we would be glad to price some of the work for you 
thanks 

User Stats

Votes
Scott Welch
  • Alexandria, VA
Votes |
  • Alexandria, VA
Replied Mar 8 2021, 15:52

Looks like I am a few days late to the party but I am also from NOVA and invest in Roanoke. I'd love to link up with anyone who is interested.

User Stats

Votes
Glenn Hastings
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Gainesville, VA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Gainesville, VA
Replied Mar 8 2021, 18:05

@Scott Welch let’s link up 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 10 2021, 05:29

Does anyone know of any contracting companies that do rehab work in Roanoke Rapids?

User Stats

Votes
Glenn Hastings
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Gainesville, VA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Gainesville, VA
Replied Apr 10 2021, 05:54

@Ernie Gutierrez Roanoke Rapids is in NC. The city of Roanoke where this topic is located is in VA. Sadly I don't know any contractors in Roanoke Rapids.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 10 2021, 05:59

@Glenn Hastings

That's right.. I was reading to fast. Thanks for letting me know.

User Stats

Votes
Glenn Hastings
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Gainesville, VA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Gainesville, VA
Replied Apr 10 2021, 06:14

@Ernie Gutierrez if you got the the menu and click on ‘Networks’ you can scroll down to contractors and look for contractors that work with investors here on BP. I’m not sure if it’s a pro membership only tool but worth a shot!