Skip to content
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice

User Stats

Votes
David Sienema
Votes |
Question about the time value of money (Frank Gallinelli)

David Sienema
Posted Apr 21 2021, 07:00

Hello all,

This is my first post on BP and I am excited to dive in. Thanks in advance to anyone who reads this or replies.

I've been reading Frank Gallinelli's book What Every Real Estate Investor Needs to Know About Cash Flow, and I have a slightly technical question that I thought I'd put out to this community.

In this book, he talks quite a lot about money having a time element to its value, therefore, he reasons, in future projections, it becomes useful to discount money you will receive in the future to determine its 'Present Value' (PV). Future money is discounted by the rate of return you could expect to earn on that money had you been free to invest it elsewhere TODAY. My confusion is this: if you only have a certain amount of money to invest, why would it be assumed that you could invest that money or its gains elsewhere in the meantime, therefore netting another return, therefore justifying the discount of dollars received in the future? It's not like you can invest the same money in multiple places, and it's additionally very rare that you can get an immediate payout on an investment, so why would we discount future money by the rate of return, when there seems to be no reasonable scenario where we could actually have that money today, or any sooner at all?

I'm sure I've made my point about as clear as mud. I'll give a quick example from the book. If you were to receive $21,000 of profit in year 5 of an investment, the PV of that money, when it is discounted at 11%, is $12,462. But unless there is some magical way to actually have that $21k in hand at the beginning of year 1, rather than in year 5, why would assume that we might have been able to make a return on that money in the intervening years, when in order to make a return on it, it would have to be OURS, but in order to be ours, we (as investors) have to wait for our investment to earn that return?

Many thanks everyone! Glad to be part of this community, I will be participating more beginning TODAY!

David.

Loading replies...