Outperforming in South Georgia!!!

Outperforming in South Georgia!!!

Mike TerryPro Member
Investor · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2015 · 292 posts · 278 votes

I bought three duplexes in south Georgia in November 2020.  They have been solid cash flow plays as was the projection for them.  I didn't think they would appreciate much.  A identical building on the same street just sold for 300k.  Now I don't know if their were significant seller concessions or not that may impact value as a comp, but unadjusted these properties will have doubled in value in under 5 years.  Now there have been challenges in my portfolio and with these properties, including two hurricances and 6 insurance claims ( still unsettled), but the upside and surprise growth is a great example of what investing in real estate can do. The total return is off the chart! You have to take action and be invested to get surprises to the upside.  How do I find more like these?

6Reply
212 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Hinton, WV · Member since 2025 · 128 posts · 53 votes
1y

That’s awesome — congrats on the win! 👏 South Georgia has been a sneaky strong cash flow + appreciation play these last few years, and your story is a great reminder of why holding through storms (literally in your case) pays off.

On the “how do I find more like these?” side, a few approaches:

  • Track investor-friendly agents & wholesalers in secondary markets. A lot of duplex/triplex deals in South GA never hit the MLS — they move off-market through wholesalers and small brokerages who know landlords.
  • Look for landlord fatigue. Storms + insurance claims = stress. There are plenty of owners who went through the same hurricanes you did but don’t have your patience. Reaching out directly or through property managers can uncover opportunities.
  • Follow rent-to-price ratios. Focus on zip codes where rents haven’t “caught up” to values yet. Tools like Rentometer, PropStream, or even public tax records help you spot areas where duplexes still trade under replacement cost.
  • Leverage lending. If you’ve proven you can cash flow through hurricanes, lenders (bridge, DSCR, or portfolio loans) will line up for your next acquisition. That leverage is what allows you to buy 2–3 more at a time instead of waiting for one at a time.

The real gem is repeating your model in other overlooked, steady cash flow markets — think Macon, Albany, Valdosta, Columbus — where you can still find small multis under the radar before they pop.

Curious — are you looking to rinse-and-repeat in South GA specifically, or open to similar “quiet growth” markets nearby?

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Hinton, WV · Member since 2025 · 128 posts · 53 votes
    1y

    That’s awesome — congrats on the win! 👏 South Georgia has been a sneaky strong cash flow + appreciation play these last few years, and your story is a great reminder of why holding through storms (literally in your case) pays off.

    On the “how do I find more like these?” side, a few approaches:

    • Track investor-friendly agents & wholesalers in secondary markets. A lot of duplex/triplex deals in South GA never hit the MLS — they move off-market through wholesalers and small brokerages who know landlords.
    • Look for landlord fatigue. Storms + insurance claims = stress. There are plenty of owners who went through the same hurricanes you did but don’t have your patience. Reaching out directly or through property managers can uncover opportunities.
    • Follow rent-to-price ratios. Focus on zip codes where rents haven’t “caught up” to values yet. Tools like Rentometer, PropStream, or even public tax records help you spot areas where duplexes still trade under replacement cost.
    • Leverage lending. If you’ve proven you can cash flow through hurricanes, lenders (bridge, DSCR, or portfolio loans) will line up for your next acquisition. That leverage is what allows you to buy 2–3 more at a time instead of waiting for one at a time.

    The real gem is repeating your model in other overlooked, steady cash flow markets — think Macon, Albany, Valdosta, Columbus — where you can still find small multis under the radar before they pop.

    Curious — are you looking to rinse-and-repeat in South GA specifically, or open to similar “quiet growth” markets nearby?

    • Mike TerryPro Member
      OP
      Investor · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2015 · 292 posts · 278 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Jackie Carmichael:

      That’s awesome — congrats on the win! 👏 South Georgia has been a sneaky strong cash flow + appreciation play these last few years, and your story is a great reminder of why holding through storms (literally in your case) pays off.

      On the “how do I find more like these?” side, a few approaches:

      • Track investor-friendly agents & wholesalers in secondary markets. A lot of duplex/triplex deals in South GA never hit the MLS — they move off-market through wholesalers and small brokerages who know landlords.
      • Look for landlord fatigue. Storms + insurance claims = stress. There are plenty of owners who went through the same hurricanes you did but don’t have your patience. Reaching out directly or through property managers can uncover opportunities.
      • Follow rent-to-price ratios. Focus on zip codes where rents haven’t “caught up” to values yet. Tools like Rentometer, PropStream, or even public tax records help you spot areas where duplexes still trade under replacement cost.
      • Leverage lending. If you've proven you can cash flow through hurricanes, lenders (bridge, DSCR, or portfolio loans) will line up for your next acquisition. That leverage is what allows you to buy 2–3 more at a time instead of waiting for one at a time.

      The real gem is repeating your model in other overlooked, steady cash flow markets — think Macon, Albany, Valdosta, Columbus — where you can still find small multis under the radar before they pop.

      Curious — are you looking to rinse-and-repeat in South GA specifically, or open to similar “quiet growth” markets nearby?


       Great response. Thank you! I am absolutely open to similar deals in similar markets. I like anything up I 75from Florida through Michigan.


      Mike

    • Lender · Hinton, WV · Member since 2025 · 128 posts · 53 votes
      1y

      @Mike Terry 

      Hey Mike, glad my response was helpful. Since you’re open to more deals up the I-75 corridor, I’d love to connect. I work with investors on sourcing quick, flexible capital for small multis and value-add deals — so if you come across something in South GA, Macon, Knoxville, or even up through Ohio/Michigan, I can help you move fast and structure the financing.

      No pressure, but I’d be happy to jump on a quick call and talk through what your ideal “next duplex/portfolio” looks like. That way, if the right deal pops up, you’ll already have financing lined up.

  • MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Do you anticipate the prices will hold and/or continue to rise? A few of the east coast beach areas near me are almost starting to feel like a bubble. 

  • Mike TerryPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2015 · 292 posts · 278 votes
    1y

    @jules Aton I have no real expectations on values beyond that I suspect they will keep up with or slightly out pace inflation. Rents and values are still below national averages and the local economy is supported by a large state university, an Air Force base that is growing in population and significance and a regional hospital. I’ll be holding!

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    1y

    @Mike Terry Metro Detroit still seems to be undervalued.

    What's your BuyBox?

    • Mike TerryPro Member
      OP
      Investor · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2015 · 292 posts · 278 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Drew Sygit:

      @Mike Terry Metro Detroit still seems to be undervalued.

      What's your BuyBox?


      Yes I have my eye on Detroit. We want to move someoperations there. I can work my W2 remotely and I have aging parents across the border in Canada that I want to attend to more frequently. I like BRRR, like homes built in the 1980's. Im not a C Class investor, been there and its good cashflow, but it's a struggle with the tenants and condition of homes. Solid B class is great, something that will attract solid long term tennants. Of course discounted properties, that will land the ARV in teh median price range. I won't do major foundation work, but minor structural and full interior rehabs are fine. We will be ramping up our search in the new year.

  • V.G JasonPro Member
    Investor · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Mike Terry:

    I bought three duplexes in south Georgia in November 2020.  They have been solid cash flow plays as was the projection for them.  I didn't think they would appreciate much.  A identical building on the same street just sold for 300k.  Now I don't know if their were significant seller concessions or not that may impact value as a comp, but unadjusted these properties will have doubled in value in under 5 years.  Now there have been challenges in my portfolio and with these properties, including two hurricances and 6 insurance claims ( still unsettled), but the upside and surprise growth is a great example of what investing in real estate can do. The total return is off the chart! You have to take action and be invested to get surprises to the upside.  How do I find more like these?


    Double in 5 years, but what's the total annual net cash flow? Not gross. And how much did those insurance claims cost you or bear more risk for? As in do you need increased insurance, does it limit your ability to re-sell it, etc.?

  • Mike TerryPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2015 · 292 posts · 278 votes
    1y

    Great Questions V.G. Jason:

    total annual net cash flow is 32,972.24 for 2024

    Insurance claims are in litigation currently.  I put on 2 new roofs. 1 to still to be replaced.  State Farm denied all claims, as seems to be their business practice.  After hiring an attorney on contingency basis.  We anticipate we will be made whole after expenses.  No additional risk.  I just sold a home that Hurricane Helene put a tree on the roof and had substantial structural damage and It sold quickly at market value.  I suspect people are little less concerned about a history or damage in these markets as there has been three hurricanes in 2 years. I am not anticipating having any issues when it is time to sell.  The most recent comp had similar damage and it set the market for these types of properties.

  • Lender · Southwest Georgia · Member since 2017 · 312 posts · 278 votes
    1y

    That is some killer growth!!! We have seen essentially the same thing across our portfolio. Cash flow has been good and steady. Not life changing money but enough to weather the storms and continue to buy, but the appreciation over the last 5 years is light years above what we expected. 

    Goes to show the old mantra is true, "Buy real estate and wait, don't wait to buy real estate"

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.