How many RE investors are Sales Professionals?

11 Replies

Following Adam Zach's lead [ https://www.biggerpockets.com/... ], is it just me or is a large portion of REI investors NOT sales professionals? By that I mean, your W2 is in Selling . Seems like the more I network, the less and less I find Sales Professionals are NOT real estate Investors. Am I wrong?

Adam - for some reason I can't tag you in the post, will try in the comments. Thanks for the great question!

I was in sales my whole career prior to leaving W-2 work.  B2B and med device/capital equipment.  You're always selling in real estate, whether you're selling property, selling a prospective tenant, selling a seller, or selling yourself.  A person with sales skills/training who enjoys finance is a natural fit for real estate I think.  

Professionals are NOT real estate Investors. Am I wrong

Am CRE Broker that does apartments. I run into a lot of brokers that own rentals. Mostly from seeing stuff come on market and realize it's a good value.

Originally posted by @Steve Morris :

Professionals are NOT real estate Investors. Am I wrong

Am CRE Broker that does apartments. I run into a lot of brokers that own rentals. Mostly from seeing stuff come on market and realize it's a good value.

Completely disagree with you. Where do you think most of the Passive Investment comes from? Non-professionals? 

Where do you think most of the Passive Investment comes from? Non-professionals?

Sure.  Get a lot of guys that daddy left them some money and they want a tax-sheltered return.  Syndicators rolls them all up and they buy a large apartment managed by the syndicator.  They want a regular check and half don't even show up on the asset mgmt updates.

As far as the original topic, I run into sales guys with good 1099s and they buy apartments.  Nice consistent income that's tax-sheltered and they hire a manager to make it passive on their part.  Then again, I run into doctors/dentists that invest like that and most are not getting the max return (being kind here) they could by being passive.

I am an investor and a Realtor.  I am in South Florida and many of my colleagues are investors however it is not the majority, nor do many agents even understand how to work with investors.  It's another branch of this business that many agents or realtors just don't take the time to learn. Nor do they want to..It's not for everyone, Thankfully!  Before becoming an investor myself I was working with a few investors, took many classes, networked with investors & agents, investigated and learned as much as I could for about 2 years before finally becoming an investor myself. I do prefer working with investors and other agents who are also or at least understand it. I do think at least here in our market we have a large share of professional (agent) investors who have multiple properties. I'm going to look into these numbers now.  

What does your W2 have to do with being a real estate investor? All kinds of people end up being real estate investors. It's hard to profile them like that. 

@Paul Shannon Do you miss the B2B sales? The reason why I ask, I have a similar background as you and I'm thinking of taking that leap to go into real estate full time. How was that transition for you? 

Originally posted by @Brandon Carlson :

@Paul Shannon Do you miss the B2B sales? The reason why I ask, I have a similar background as you and I'm thinking of taking that leap to go into real estate full time. How was that transition for you? 

Shoot me a PM.    

@Jay Helms

I think it's across the board. Depends on what kind of REI, too. I don't think it takes a salesman to do long term rentals. For example. My tenants have been doing 10+ years. I just received rent payments....

Many people are “investors” just because they could afford not to sell their home when they move. Many military folk end up that way having single family rentals all of the country.

REI is done by all walks of life.

Originally posted by @Sri L. :

What does your W2 have to do with being a real estate investor? All kinds of people end up being real estate investors. It's hard to profile them like that. 

oh lawd, (face palm). it was just a general question which is now led to social profiling. Give me a break.