5% Down on conventional loan on Multi-family offered?

5% Down on conventional loan on Multi-family offered?

Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 5 votes

Hi all! I've been reading a lot of forums on BP and saw many people say that 5% down conventional loans on a owner occupied fourplex is no longer existent. 3 out of 4 lenders I've reached out to also told me the same thing such that the lowest % down is 5% even if owner occupied for a multi-family. However, I spoke to one lender that said I was eligible for 5% down conventional loan OO fourplex because its still considered primary.

I'm feeling really uneasy about this and was hoping I can get some assistance! 3 lenders suggested I go to FHA route if I want little down but this ONE lender is saying I'm good for the conventional. Is this a red flag? I prefer a conventional loan on this fourplex but something isn't feeling right. Is the 5% conventional down on multifamily a rule across the board that all lenders need to follow or is it different for each lender? Please assist!

2Reply
183 views

Most Popular Reply

Aaron NelsonBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Seattle, WA · Member since 2016 · 307 posts · 191 votes
6y

@Jacqueline Nguyen - I believe 5% down conventional for an owner occupied quad is possible under certain loan programs but qualifying can be challenging. The "Freddie Mac Home Possible loan program" allows 5% down conventional on 1-4 units BUT to qualify you have be under the income threshold for your area (this includes the property's rental income). On top of that, you still must qualify from a DTI standpoint (which includes both the rental income AND the new mortgage payment). So yes, it is possible, but it is a puzzle and the pieces have to fit together perfectly for it to work.

See this reply in the discussion

37 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Northern New Jersey, NJ · Member since 2014 · 53 posts · 14 votes
    6y

    I purchased a multi family last year with 5% conventional. From what I read, that is harder these days.

  • Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac loans are 75% loan to value on 3-4 units. FHA can go as little as 3.5% for owner occupied 3-4 units.

  • Marc RiceBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    We closed with a 5% conventional owner occupied, my partner brought the W2 and my income was viewed as 0 because I did not have 2 years of 1099 income. This was a 5% conventional product with monthly PMI that drops off at 20%. I know of a few lenders in Ohio who still service these loans, although I know they did tighten the income limits so that the borrowers gross annual income can't be over about $52-55k. PM me if you have any questions!

    Marc Rice | Investor Friendly Agent at Reafco Tailwind Team574 Reviews
  • Lender · Bellevue WA & Orange County, CA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Brad Hammond:

    My lenders told me the Fanny/Freddy minimum is now 15% (I think it recently changed. You could always go FHA if that ends up falling through.

    15% down yes on owner occupied conventional duplex or 2 unit property. This is for regular conventional guidelines.

    Fannie or Freddie have a lot of niche programs like home one, home ready, home possible, and others that have different guidelines such as 5% down on 2-4 unit owner occ properties.
     

  • Lender · Bellevue WA & Orange County, CA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Jason Hines:

    I am going through this right now. Just had an offer accepted fortunately. It's just for a two unit, but I have had 2 brokers and several lenders say that I needed 15% down for conventional. Fortunately, I found one without PMI, so I went with that.

    The standard conventional guidelines for owner occupied 2 unit property is 15% down so is true if thats what they intended to use with their offer. The other options are FHA or VA which are 0-3.5% down payment if the buyer/borrower can qualify. Home possible conventional used to be 5% down on 2-4 unit properties but recently in the last 1 year they gimped that program so that it now it no longer offers lower down on 2-4 units anymore.

    Hope this deal went well Jason.

  • Lender · Bellevue WA & Orange County, CA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Brad Hammond:

    My lenders told me the Fanny/Freddy minimum is now 15% (I think it recently changed. You could always go FHA if that ends up falling through.

    HI Brad it was always 15% down on duplexes for owner occupied and 20% down on 3-4 unit owner occupied Freddie Mac conventional (vs 25% fannie mae for owner occ 3-4 unit).

    The only program that allowed 5% down on 2-4 unit owner occupied was freddie home possible which was a niche program within freddie's attache of products. However, recently Freddie has gimped their HP program and now no longer offers 5% down payment on 2-4 unit owner occupied any more plus on top of that there are tough income limits that would pretty much preclude you from any 2-4 units on the west or east coasts (unless you stole it via deep discount wholesale deal). The reason is because the price ranges on west & east coasts are so high that its almost impossible to qualify with the income limits that the program requires you to stay under (80% of AMI or area median income).

    Hope that helps.

  • Lender · Kirkland, WA · Member since 2018 · 19 posts · 20 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Albert Bui:
    Originally posted by @Brad Hammond:

    My lenders told me the Fanny/Freddy minimum is now 15% (I think it recently changed. You could always go FHA if that ends up falling through.

    HI Brad it was always 15% down on duplexes for owner occupied and 20% down on 3-4 unit owner occupied Freddie Mac conventional (vs 25% fannie mae for owner occ 3-4 unit).

    The only program that allowed 5% down on 2-4 unit owner occupied was freddie home possible which was a niche program within freddie's attache of products. However, recently Freddie has gimped their HP program and now no longer offers 5% down payment on 2-4 unit owner occupied any more plus on top of that there are tough income limits that would pretty much preclude you from any 2-4 units on the west or east coasts (unless you stole it via deep discount wholesale deal). The reason is because the price ranges on west & east coasts are so high that its almost impossible to qualify with the income limits that the program requires you to stay under (80% of AMI or area median income).

    Hope that helps.

    Actually, you can still take advantage of 95% LTV using Freddie's Home Possible program.

    See their latest agency guidance on this here: https://guide.freddiemac.com/a...

  • Lender · Bellevue WA & Orange County, CA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Tony P.:
    Originally posted by @Albert Bui:
    Originally posted by @Brad Hammond:

    My lenders told me the Fanny/Freddy minimum is now 15% (I think it recently changed. You could always go FHA if that ends up falling through.

    HI Brad it was always 15% down on duplexes for owner occupied and 20% down on 3-4 unit owner occupied Freddie Mac conventional (vs 25% fannie mae for owner occ 3-4 unit).

    The only program that allowed 5% down on 2-4 unit owner occupied was freddie home possible which was a niche program within freddie's attache of products. However, recently Freddie has gimped their HP program and now no longer offers 5% down payment on 2-4 unit owner occupied any more plus on top of that there are tough income limits that would pretty much preclude you from any 2-4 units on the west or east coasts (unless you stole it via deep discount wholesale deal). The reason is because the price ranges on west & east coasts are so high that its almost impossible to qualify with the income limits that the program requires you to stay under (80% of AMI or area median income).

    Hope that helps.

    Actually, you can still take advantage of 95% LTV using Freddie's Home Possible program.

    See their latest agency guidance on this here: https://guide.freddiemac.com/a...

    Yeah for 1 unit up to 95-97% plus there are income limits and requirement to stay under 80% of AMI.

    Prior Freddie HP could be used with no income limits in opportunity zone and certain zip codes allowing people of any income to buy owner occupied 2-4 unit property with 5% down. In 2019 they gimped it. 

  • Member since 2021 · 11 posts · 4 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Jason Hines:

    I am going through this right now. Just had an offer accepted fortunately. It's just for a two unit, but I have had 2 brokers and several lenders say that I needed 15% down for conventional. Fortunately, I found one without PMI, so I went with that.

    Willing to share who you went with?
  • Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    3y

    Is anyone aware of multi family loans available with 5% or less down that will NOT be owner occupied? I have been wanting to buy a bldg for YEARS but I’m in So Cal and the cheapest bldg that can get decent rents are all well over $1m - but putting several hundred thousand down is always my roadblock. If I could find a lender that would do 5% I’d buy immediately. Credit score 750. If you know of any such them my way! 

  • Member since 2023 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jacqueline Nguyen:

    Hi all! I've been reading a lot of forums on BP and saw many people say that 5% down conventional loans on a owner occupied fourplex is no longer existent. 3 out of 4 lenders I've reached out to also told me the same thing such that the lowest % down is 5% even if owner occupied for a multi-family. However, I spoke to one lender that said I was eligible for 5% down conventional loan OO fourplex because its still considered primary.

    I'm feeling really uneasy about this and was hoping I can get some assistance! 3 lenders suggested I go to FHA route if I want little down but this ONE lender is saying I'm good for the conventional. Is this a red flag? I prefer a conventional loan on this fourplex but something isn't feeling right. Is the 5% conventional down on multifamily a rule across the board that all lenders need to follow or is it different for each lender? Please assist!

    Well. Been a while. Now it's changed. Starting Nov. 18, 2023, Fannie Mae will be updating the maximum LTV/CLTV limits for 2-4 Unit Primary Residence properties to allow 95% LTV/CLTVs.

  • Kyle HendricksPro Member
    Lender · Member since 2021 · 170 posts · 74 votes
    3y

    Conventional will now allow 5% down on 2-4 units if you owner occupy starting November 18, 2023!

    Massive news. 😊

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.