Investor · north Idaho · Member since 2017 · 24 posts · 8 votes
I've heard no evictions til end of April. The news story said HUD is suspending evictions and foreclosures - no info on private party restrictions. One of my property managers is telling me 'federal guidelines' aren't allowing them to evict any tenant through end of April. Has anyone heard what current law is?
West Bend, WI · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 13 votes
6y
Im betting the second many tenants see that they think they don't have to pay their rent. So how does one handle this? let it happen then need to evict once its allowed again? Offer discounted rent for a couple months to stay on good terms?
Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
6y
landlord/tenant laws are a state matter. HUD can say what they want, and S-8 tenants may have some limited protection because of their HAP contract, but evictions are up to state statutes.
Lawrenceville, GA · Member since 2015 · 5 posts · 2 votes
6y
I am in the same boat. I have a property in Ohio which so far at the state level, evictions have not been halted. However, the evictions courts are supposedly shut down. My question is, since my property management company has issued an in-house statement they personally are not starting any eviction process due to the Feds putting a halt to evictions on loans backed by Fannie or Freddie, which mine is not, does this constitute breach of contract between the property management company and myself? My loan is not Fannie or Freddie, so the Fed restriction does not apply to me. The contract states, the PM company is are to conduct evictions if a tenant doesn't pay. I understand a full eviction can't be processed right now, but I would at least like for them to follow the eviction process and put a pay or quit notice, so we can have proof we started the process in the right amount of time, if we ever get to that process (Of course the tenant has stated they can't pay). I have other workarounds, I am offering to try and avoid the eviction process, but I want to have my ducks in row, if it comes to that.