Tenant lost job due to Corona layoff

9 Replies

First tenant called today with a Corona virus related lay-off. She worked for a service that placed nursing and medical personnel in nursing homes and related businesses. Apparently they all cut off outside vendors like her company and are just making due with in-house personnel for now.

Baltimore has halted all evictions and we basically are stuck because the rent courts aren’t taking cases either we recommended she file for unemployment benefits immediately and reach out to church, friends, family and local united way for any assistance they can get to pay her rent. Hoping the other 12 units we have keep paying. Thankfully we have 50% section 8 subsidized rents.

I'd give her a break if you can afford it. There's no such thing as a free lunch obviously, but if she's busting her butt trying to get a temporary replacement job, offer to defer her rent one month. 

Amazon, UPS, and local grocery stores are hiring, so she should be able to rebound relatively quickly. It will go a long way for your name as a landlord and your apartment complex if you work with your tenants. 

The thing is how are you going to find a tenant these days anyway

This does not seem getting any better soon, tough situation but they don't have much option and we don't have either.

Originally posted by @Ozzy Sirimsi :

The thing is how are you going to find a tenant these days anyway

This does not seem getting any better soon, tough situation but they don't have much option and we don't have either.

Agreed. I had another unit vacant for 2 months and I just placed a tenant yesterday. I had it listed on FB marketplace, Craigslist, Zillow, hot pads, and at least 4 other major sites. We go the most inquiries from GB Marketplace but the pickings were slim and Ended up having to Offer half  off 1st months rent to get some call activity. At least we are full up now and not bleeding out $1000 month.

Originally posted by @Wyatt Franta :

I'd give her a break if you can afford it. There's no such thing as a free lunch obviously, but if she's busting her butt trying to get a temporary replacement job, offer to defer her rent one month. 

Amazon, UPS, and local grocery stores are hiring, so she should be able to rebound relatively quickly. It will go a long way for your name as a landlord and your apartment complex if you work with your tenants. 

At this point I can’t get rid of her if I tried and she knows that. Doubt she would leave voluntarily since she is out of work and wouldn’t qualify for another place. Certainly not one of the scenarios I can plan for. Thankfully I have some reserves and can hold out 6 months or so before it’s real trouble.

Hospitals are begging nurses and doctors to come out of retirement (so is the Army, but those guys are probably already working full time in hospitals). One big health care place here is hiring all positions, not just nurses, as home health care is no doubt going up in use.