• Granite City, IL
Votes |
Probate marketing with surviving spouse

Ronald Perich
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Granite City, IL
Posted Dec 19 2014, 21:19

I am building my first marketing campaign looking to provide solutions to the remaining family or others in the estate. Would anyone who does this as a course of their regular business take a looksee at this and provide feedback?

Picking up:

- Any probate listings in several counties. Focusing on the first county, then I plan to move to the second, etc.

- Will mail until it is sold. Thanks Sharon Vorholt for this advice!

- Mail every 4-5 weeks (TBD)

- 750 a month. I am working a full time "secure" job.

I have been filtering the following from the results: 

- No Property or the property has already been sold

- Properties listed with an agent.

- Properties where there is a spouse remaining.

What do you think? Am I totally off the mark? Thanks in advance for all of your help!

User Stats

Votes
Rick H.#4 Marketing Your Property Contributor
  • Lender
  • Greater LA/Orange County area, CA
Votes |
Rick H.#4 Marketing Your Property Contributor
  • Lender
  • Greater LA/Orange County area, CA
Replied Dec 20 2014, 08:11

Good for you! Just remember that you are marketing "to" not marketing "with".

Beyond your plan above, suggest you consider two things beyond the obvious probate process and documents required to transfer real property:

Learn to filter your records and be able to scrub the undesirables both up front and during successive mailings as well as a way to identify the high probability records for possible different treatment.

Have a Lead sheet ready for all callers so that you can have a productive conversation. Mine is one-page that reminds me to ask questions concerning the caller's issues and helps me organize the property type, liens, equity and other relevant information so that I can better guide the conversation and keep the facts and circumstances for later reference.

User Stats

Votes
Ronald Perich
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Granite City, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Granite City, IL
Replied Dec 21 2014, 03:21

@Rick H. Thanks so much for replying and, quite frankly, for spending a lot of your time and energy on answering posts on BP. I really appreciate it.

I used "with" as a way to ask the community if I should market to those probate listings that have a surviving spouse. I did a little more research and found most do not. I didn't feel comfortable adding this as a valid lead to my probate campaign, but I might add them to a different campaign.

The only cases where I do include them as part of the probate campaign is when I find multiple properties listed. There may be an opportunity to help them solve a liquidation problem, especially if the other properties are rentals with deferred maintenance.

So far, I have performed a good scrubbing of the list as a way to reduce costs and target those who are most likely in need of a solution. The majority of those moving to the "no" side are those with no property. I know you like and work other areas of probate, but I'm just not that settled yet.

A few were removed because of the surviving spouse. A few more removed because the property is listed with an agent. But I did set a task up to revisit them after I get my initial list built out.

As I move into out-months, I'll go back to the list to continue scrubbing. Most likely, the only thing that takes them off my list is a sale or request from them. 

I will say it takes a while to build this list. I guess that's what makes a probate marketing campaign so difficult and expensive to start up. Once I am able to solve a problem (and get compensation for it), I plan to reinvest that profit into hiring a VA to do the work for me.

Again, thanks to you for all of your time and dedication to answering posts. I seem to pull some nugget out of nearly one.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes