Votes
Kevin B. Kasper
  • Wentzville, MO
Votes |
Needing Help with Direct Mail

Kevin B. Kasper
  • Wentzville, MO
Posted Nov 8 2017, 15:19

I am new and this will be my second time sending letters.  I designed a direct mail campaign letter but was wanting feedback.  Is it too much?  Should I revert to postcards and yellow letters?  Thank you for your feedback!

User Stats

Votes
Kevin B. Kasper
  • Wentzville, MO
Votes |
  • Wentzville, MO
Replied Nov 8 2017, 16:56

It is a simple creation on Microsoft Word, I just figured it will stand out among other yellow letters. 

User Stats

Votes
Ray Lai
  • Investor / Vendor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Investor / Vendor
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Nov 8 2017, 17:10

@Kevin B. Kasper

Welcome to BP :) Not bad for your own design. Make sure that when you say you can buy with cash, you mean it and you don't plan on assigning it - a lot of gurus teach wholesalers to commit fraud.

Pro-tip: Use 1 batch of postcards with first class mail then and then switch to yellow letters. Why? The first class postcards will bounce and save you a lot of money from mailing a bad address from subsequent batches and you can skip-trace the bad addresses for very valuable leads. Also, switching to standard mail afterwards saves money.

There's a lot to your direct mail campaign other than mailing postcards. You need the contracts, follow-up system, and be available to answer the call right away. Have a checklist if you want. Also, you need to practice some scripts on how to talk to sellers and ask the right questions to listen to DMF.

I would split test your original picture with other pictures. Those leaves don't seem as big of hassle as some other parts of property maintenance.

Having a local area code and a landing capture page will boost your response rate as well.

Good luck!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jared Dison
  • Commercial Real Estate Broker
  • Hartselle, AL
Votes |
  • Commercial Real Estate Broker
  • Hartselle, AL
Replied Nov 8 2017, 17:12

Send it!  More importantly, measure your response success rate.  That will tell you what you need to know.  Mailers are a part of the game.  You can do a round of this template then do your yellow post cards and measure the difference.  You'll find what works.  Good luck.

User Stats

Votes
Kevin B. Kasper
  • Wentzville, MO
Votes |
  • Wentzville, MO
Replied Nov 8 2017, 17:20

Ray Lai,

I took the buy with cash part from other yellow letters.  I have a mentor who will assist me through my first process.  You suggest I should take the "buy in cash" part out since I will not be the actual person paying in cash?  

Thank you

User Stats

Votes
Kevin B. Kasper
  • Wentzville, MO
Votes |
  • Wentzville, MO
Replied Nov 8 2017, 17:22

Thank you Jared,

I created an excel spread sheet and tracked my first round.  I will do it with this, as well.  I just finished a marketing class and I am trying to use what I learned from that in my own marketing.  

User Stats

Votes
Tayler DeGrande
  • Real Estate Professional
  • Hoffman Estates, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Professional
  • Hoffman Estates, IL
Replied Nov 8 2017, 17:34

Good luck on your direct mailer campaign! 

What type of properties are you targeting to? 

Also, where did you purchase your list?

User Stats

Votes
Kevin B. Kasper
  • Wentzville, MO
Votes |
  • Wentzville, MO
Replied Nov 8 2017, 17:37

@Tayler DeGrande

I am focusing on out-of-town owners and those delinquent on their taxes.  I did not purchase a list.  I spent many nights looking at the County Assessors page, going from street to street.  I also did some driving for dollars.