Skip to content
Marketing Your Property

User Stats

Votes
Dane Hamilton
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
Deal Marketing in Orlando? What actually works?

Dane Hamilton
  • Orlando, FL
Posted Sep 13 2018, 10:29
EXPERIENCED INVESTORS IN ORLANDO, FLORIDA: How have you guys been finding your deals? I‘ve read all the books, I’ve read all the blogs... I’m tired of the theory! What has ACTUALLY been working in Orlando? Listsource? Is direct mail really dead? Is there anything good on the MLS anymore? Unconventional media? Tell me about your projects! I’d love to hear the wisdom of experienced investors! I’m new to the game and striving to put an effective marketing strategy together. Thank you in advance!

User Stats

Votes
David Wright
  • Lender
  • USA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • USA
Replied Sep 13 2018, 12:06

OK Dane, my advice is to  first determine your monthly budget for marketing and make sure it is long term focused. The key is consistency in marketing regardless of the strategy.

From the investors I work with auctions have been working, consistent direct mail campaigns, and driving for dollars.  

But it's really not the strategy, it is the consistency in the strategy and if you have the money to maintain the correct marketing course to get the motivated sellers.

I hope this helps.

User Stats

Votes
Dane Hamilton
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Sep 13 2018, 12:15

@David Wright thanks for your reply! There’s a lot of good stuff in there.

Auctions seem pretty daunting for a new investor... so I’m thinking that might not be the best place for me right now.

I’ve heard similar things about direct mail. The big question then is where does the list come from, and how big should be scope be? I could be wrong, but targeted marketing seems to be much more cost-effective. Driving for dollars is an excellent way to build a direct mail list. Do you know of other lists have proven to be consistently productive?

Regarding direct mail, what should my letter look like? Handwritten or typed? Long or short? What should the content be? Everyone has a different opinion because everyone has a different market. What is proven to work in Orlando? I’d love to hear some thoughts.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
David Wright
  • Lender
  • USA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • USA
Replied Sep 13 2018, 12:45

I agree you definitely do not want to start with the Auctions.

Regarding Direct Mail Google "Direct Mail for Real Estate Investors"  and search right here in Bigger Pockets for reviews on direct mail vendors.  There are many to choose from.

Regarding the list, what are you trying to do?  Fix and flips, buy and holds, etc...this will determine your list selection.  Good lists are vacant homes, distressed properties, divorcee's, and homes with a lot of equity.  But again, the list decision is based on the real estate strategy you want to work on in my opinion.

I hope this makes sense.  Let me know.

User Stats

Votes
Cristian Aviles-Morales
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |

@Dane Hamilton Pick 2-3 areas you know and start their for your direct mail marketing. As for the content of your direct mail, definitely look up examples online. Alot of Blogs state the hand written ones work, and I remember when I first purchased my home I received letters like that and I'll admit I was actually quite perplexed about the junk mail and read through it. But soon after, I was used to it and threw it away. 

And for the content it should really be quick to the point about what you are trying to do. If its to buy properties for CASH then advertise that part and hone in on the CASH aspect. 

Hope to see you out here making moves! I'm getting ready myself to pull triggers. 

User Stats

Votes
Dane Hamilton
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Sep 13 2018, 12:57
Originally posted by @David Wright:

I agree you definitely do not want to start with the Auctions.

Regarding Direct Mail Google "Direct Mail for Real Estate Investors"  and search right here in Bigger Pockets for reviews on direct mail vendors.  There are many to choose from.

Regarding the list, what are you trying to do?  Fix and flips, buy and holds, etc...this will determine your list selection.  Good lists are vacant homes, distressed properties, divorcee's, and homes with a lot of equity.  But again, the list decision is based on the real estate strategy you want to work on in my opinion.

I hope this makes sense.  Let me know.

How about SFR BRRRRs? If you were looking for an off-market SFR BRRRR deal, where would you start?

User Stats

Votes
David Wright
  • Lender
  • USA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • USA
Replied Sep 13 2018, 13:03

Its the same concept for BRRRR's .