Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Managing Your Property
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Paolo Ertreo
  • Homeowner
  • California
Votes |
Reducing lawn landscaping costs

Paolo Ertreo
  • Homeowner
  • California
Posted

Hi all, I'm a new owner of a multi family in Cleveland and am wondering how you all go about lawn maintenance. I've heard that the city if Cleveland has hefty fines for lawns that are overgrown. I'm thinking of reducing overhead and costs by removing my grassy lawn entirely in favor of low maintenance ground coverings. Has anyone done this? 

Furthermore, would the city give me grief for replacing grass with pebbles in the smaller plot of dirt adjacent to the street? I see it done often here in NorCal. Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Rodney Sums
  • Laveen, AZ
Votes |
  • Laveen, AZ
Replied
Quote from @Paolo Ertreo:

Hi all, I'm a new owner of a multi family in Cleveland and am wondering how you all go about lawn maintenance. I've heard that the city if Cleveland has hefty fines for lawns that are overgrown. I'm thinking of reducing overhead and costs by removing my grassy lawn entirely in favor of low maintenance ground coverings. Has anyone done this? 

Furthermore, would the city give me grief for replacing grass with pebbles in the smaller plot of dirt adjacent to the street? I see it done often here in NorCal. Thanks!

What's your lawn care been running? How often are they out there? 

User Stats

Votes
James Wise#1 Ask About A Real Estate Company Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Votes |
James Wise#1 Ask About A Real Estate Company Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Replied

Gonna be nothing but weeds if not maintained.

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#2 General Real Estate Investing Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 General Real Estate Investing Contributor
Replied

Why not include lawn maintenance as part of the rent (ie add in the cost of lawn care and hire someone to do it)?  So if a comparable place goes for $1000 and cutting the lawn costs $100 a month (and it is done for a max of 6 months), then charge $1050 and advertize it saying the price includes cutting grass.

Drive around and see what others have done or call the city and ask about other options. I can't see any city preventing you from doing a low maintenance yard.  But remember low maintenance isn't the same as no maintenance.  Also will it affect your ability to rent the property?

User Stats

Votes
Paolo Ertreo
  • Homeowner
  • California
Votes |
  • Homeowner
  • California
Replied
Quote from @Rodney Sums:

What's your lawn care been running? How often are they out there? 

I just closed on this property and have no record of past lawn care costs. Being my first property I didn’t know to ask. I’ve gotten quotes for weekly lawn cuts ranging $35-$50/cut.

The lawn is quite small (unders 250 sq ft) and not really of any use so might replace with hardscaping or artificial turf. I was more concerned with the strip of grass between the sidewalk and street (dunno if I can alter that)

User Stats

Votes
Henry T.
Pro Member
#4 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied

Gravel, or tree bark, and smother it every 6 months with Roundup. Not as nice as grass though.

User Stats

Votes
JD Martin
Pro Member
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
ModeratorReplied

Lets say you have 30 weeks of cuts in Cleveland (I think it's less but let's give climate change a nod) and you pay the most expensive, $50 per cut. That's $1500 per year.

My guess is that if you find a landscaper to do the work you're talking about you'll spend a couple of grand on the work. Then you will need to spend at least a few hundred - let's call it $500 - per year maintaining what you've done - pulling weeds, putting in mulch, replacing the occasional dead plant, etc.

I'd say your break even is at best 3 years away, at the risk of your place looking like a craphole because no one is maintaining the landscape. I love a nice landscape - planting beds, etc - but in virtually all of my rentals we take them out and replace with sod. Why? Because no one will maintain the garden beds. Cutting the grass is cheaper and easier than anything else you can do in the long run. 

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas Misch
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied

Artificial turf looks.....artificial. :) Also can get really jacked up with the heavy ice and snow here. 

Lokal Real Estate Logo

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#1 Contractors Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Contractors Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied

Rip it out and replace with DG (decomposed granite). Spray a weed killer and pre-emergent as required to control weeds. Put in some low water plants that are native to your area....

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Weiner
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Cleveland, Oh
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Cleveland, Oh
Replied

Is it a single family or a multi family?  If its a single family and you self manage you could try to get the tenant to do it for less or give them a small credit.  I'm not a fan of doing this because if they mess up and you get a fine then your in a fight with the tenant and trying to get back that money is never a good situation. 

User Stats

Votes
Alexander Szikla
  • Real Estate Agent
  • New York City
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • New York City
Replied

Why not deputize a tenant to take care of it and give them some special perk (i.e. BBQ area)? 

User Stats

Votes
Erin Dorsey Robinson
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied

I actually agree with the others who have cautioned you about the weeds. I think you're probably asking for trouble with putting pebbles in the lawn. We have had great success with having tenants take care of the lawn. They get a credit and we've had no problems. Feel free to reach out if you want to discuss further. I can give you some more pointers from our experience about how to get the tenants to be part of the solution.

User Stats

Votes
Caroline Gerardo
  • Lender
  • Laguna Niguel, CA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Laguna Niguel, CA
Replied

@Henry T. not roundup please.

Remove grass replace with clover only needs mowing monthly.

Remove grass replace with heuchera or creeping phlox which need no mowing but are colorful.

Replace with something native. Add some stepping stones to reduce the amount of dirt.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Henry T.
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied
Quote from @Caroline Gerardo:

@Henry T. not roundup please.

Remove grass replace with clover only needs mowing monthly.

Remove grass replace with heuchera or creeping phlox which need no mowing but are colorful.

Replace with something native. Add some stepping stones to reduce the amount of dirt.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan either.

User Stats

Votes
Jill F.
  • Investor
  • Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Akron, OH
Replied
 Most of the good lawn companies are pricey. Most tenants suck at lawn care. I still have tenant lawn care though because right now we are still growing and spending so much time on reno that I suck at lawn care too. <looking out window at my house> yup, my lawn needs cut too. On the bright side at least we can still have pretty lawns in Ohio usually without having to water.