Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Managing Your Property
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
James Nix
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
Tenant has Mushrooms growing in bathroom

James Nix
  • Philadelphia, PA
Posted

Hey everyone,

So I got sent a picture of what seems to be mushrooms growing in the ceiling of my tenant bathroom. I sent the picture out to my contractor already waiting for feedback but I wanted to share it here also to get some feedback on what it might be & the actions that need to be taken to correct the problem.

I attached the picture so everyone can get a look at it. I appreciate any feedback or opinions given on the situation. 

User Stats

Votes
Richard F.#1 Tenant Screening Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Honolulu, HI
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Honolulu, HI
Replied Aug 10 2022, 21:31
Aloha,

Pretty sure sign of a leak...is there another floor above with a bathroom? or just the roof? Follow the water.

User Stats

Votes
James Nix
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied
@Richard F. thank you for your reply 

so there is a bathroom the same identical way above this unit. The tenant in the upstairs unit didn’t reach out about any problems tho. 

Should that be the first thing I do tomorrow is reach out to her about any issues?

Also the bathroom is sort of in the middle of both units so do you think this is most likely a roof leak that’s dripping down? 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
  • Property Manager
  • Honolulu, HI
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Honolulu, HI
Replied Aug 10 2022, 23:49

With a bathroom above, a roof leak is less likely, but certainly possible depending on type of construction and location of various elements. It looks like it is probably a sheetrock, ceiling/wall, so the quickest thing to do is carefully cut an opening in the ceiling (between two joists for easy sheetrock patching) to see exactly what is above.

If there are pipes in the wall, the water may be following one of them, collecting at the bottom plate (of the floor above you), or you may see the actual leak source. Since it is a bathroom, the toilet drain may be crossing your ceiling to the wall, so it may also just be a wax ring for the upstairs toilet that is seeping. If your neighbor is friendly, you may be able to get a better idea looking up there before cutting a hole in your ceiling, but you really want to be sure there is only ONE source for any leak. Just changing a wax ring with no further investigation might allow a slow leak to continue causing unseen damage. If the supply pipes in the wall are old, especially iron pipes, you may have bad threads at a joint that are leaking slightly. If this is in the area of a tub/shower, look for loose or missing tiles, poor caulking at the tub / wall joint. You should look closely above your ceiling and your upper wall area for long term damage caused by the leak. Follow the signs of water...usually a white residue/deposit, black stained or soft wood, or actual moisture.

If you are in a multi-story building, with yet another bathroom or apartment above your neighbors, the leak could be coming from ANY upper floor. Again, someone needs to follow the water trail if that is the case.

User Stats

Votes
James Nix
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied

@Richard F. thank so much for your response I really appreciate it. I will be getting my repair guy on this asap 

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied

Fungus requires water to grow. You've either got a leak coming from above or your tenants are not ventilating the bathroom when they shower.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#1 General Real Estate Investing Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 General Real Estate Investing Contributor
Replied

I agree with the others.  Chances are something is happening in the unit above causing moisture to build up.  It is more than moisture in the room itself, but if the bathrooms are in the middle of the unit with no windows, I'd also make sure tenants are running the fans for 15-20 min after showers.

User Stats

Votes
James Nix
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied

@Nathan Gesner @Theresa Harris 

I know it's late but I just wanted to say thank you both for your input. I hired someone that fixed it said it was the caulk around the tube on the upstairs unit above where the mushroom was growing.

User Stats

Votes
Caroline Gerardo
  • Lender
  • Laguna Niguel, CA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Laguna Niguel, CA
Replied Sep 9 2022, 16:27

I don't think the grout leaking and re-caulking will fix this problem. Cut the hole about 4 inches and have a plumber who owns a leak inspection camera to look up there and elsewhere. After you fix the leak 3% hydrogen peroxide and water in a spray bottle and wipe down with paper towels that you throw away. (it may stain) 5% beach and water also works. The spores are in the walls, drywall, studs so you need to treat a couple times and keep it dry.

User Stats

Votes
James Nix
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied

@Caroline Gerardo 

Thanks Caroline, Sending this message to my plumber to get this taking care. Thanks for you input I appreciate it. 

User Stats

Votes
Caroline Gerardo
  • Lender
  • Laguna Niguel, CA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Laguna Niguel, CA
Replied Sep 16 2022, 08:10

@James Nix I love Philly, have family there.

User Stats

Votes
Kristine Prall
  • Lender
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Aug 21 2023, 14:27

Hi everyone! After searching this sight for "mushrooms" I came upon this thread. I have the worst tenants I've had in 20 years. They are demanding, irrational and contentious. I'm usually better at picking them, honest! They were in HOA Violation for 3 months, due to underwatering, and per the Lease Addendum, I invoked my right to take over the landscaping and have them pay me, instead of their landscaper, who they weren't delegating to, or didn't want to pay extra for more than "mowing" since the rates doubled here in Vegas. Since I've taken over, they send me "demand emails" for silly things like the sprinklers pointing in the wrong direction (which can be adjusted when and if they see this/ and could be from their dogs or children), emergency texts - requests for ME to pay the "excessive water usage" charge on their water bill - in Vegas, now unavoidable for homes that haven't yet been converted to desert landscaping, and the latest one - "have your landscaper address the mushroom growth" problem, which just sprouted up due to heavy rains and the property being in the shade. I am converting to turf, but not until they are about to leave, I won't be inviting them to renew their lease. Just wonderiing if anyone here knows of any "liability" issues I may have if these "so called" poisonous mushrooms (which they haven't yet identified to be) in the yard are cause for them to "sue" me for not taking immediate action to remove. I sent them a link with a non-chemical alternative method to use a less harmful way to get rid of them, and suggested they take one to a nursery to see if they actually ARE dangerous, advised to supervise their child and dogs, just like they would in a local park, but I'm not about to run back and forth to the property everytime a naturally-occuring plant pops up on the lawn.