• Rental Property Investor
  • Richmond, VA
Votes |
Property management lease only service?

Ryan Duphorn
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Richmond, VA
Posted Oct 20 2023, 13:24

I'm 25 and just closed on my 2nd property that I will be owner occupying / house hacking and moving out of my current house hack to rent out to a family/tenant. It's a 4 bed 2 bath house. I found a local property management company that offers a "lease only service" meaning that they will take pics, market/list the property for rent, handle showings, screenings, and paperwork to onboard the tenant and then hand it over to me to manage. I've decided that I want to manage it myself for at least a year to not only save costs but because the property is local to my next one, I've lived in it for over a year so I know the maintenance of the home, and I'm a PM for a home builder so I have all the handyman/tradesmen relationships that I can use for any repairs. The PM company charges a fee equal to first months rent for this lease only service. I would rent the property for $2000. Do you think it's worth $2000 to have a company handle the full tenant onboarding process?

Since I'm young and haven't done this leasing/renting out process before (my house hack roomates have been friends), I'm afraid of onboarding the wrong tenant or drafting up paperwork/leases that doesn't fully protect me as a landlord. Plus doing a bunch of showings and processing applications doesn't sound too fun either. Is the tenant onboarding process really that difficult or strenuous to where it's worth utilizing this lease only service despite the fairly hefty fee for a process that will probably take the PM company roughly 2-3 weeks to do?

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Oct 21 2023, 05:29
Quote from @Ryan Duphorn:

It depends. How much time do you have? Are you a good self-learner? Are you available to handle showings?

You can figure out how to market and screen with a few days of reading and taking notes. 

BiggerPockets Ultimate Tenant Screening Guide

A lot of people use a Property Manager. I don't like this service because the PM has little incentive to ensure you get a good tenant. Once the lease is signed and they collect payment, they walk away. If your Tenant turns out to be awful, the PM has no liability.

I recommend you learn to market and screen yourself. If you can't and have to hire a PM, I recommend you get some kind of "guarantee" from them that they will replace the tenant for free under certain conditions.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Kelly N.
  • NC
Votes |

We use a property management company for a 3br, 2 ba single family home. They charge 10% of rent each month along with a half a month's rent as a "finder's fee" for screening and finding a new tenant. For an annual lease at market rent, this would amount to $2720 per year. I'd suggest shopping around to see what companies would charge for full service and compare that to just the finder's fee.

I'm currently onboarding my first property. We've had a lot of interest and I'm using TurboTenant to screen applicants before showing the property (after making the mistake of showing it to one person who fell in love with it but was not close to qualified to rent it). It's taking a decent amount of time to respond to all of the inquiries, but a lot of them have dropped out after I send them the pre-screener. 

A solid lease is certainly important but you can probably use a standard lease agreement and pay an attorney less than $2000 to review it. If it were me, I'd either manage the process entirely myself at that price or pay for full management.

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 3.99% rates, 5% down loans, below market prices across the US! Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
Michael Smythe
Property Manager
#1 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Votes |
Property Manager
#1 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Replied Oct 23 2023, 14:09

Why don't you compare your lease to their lease to see how/if it's better?

User Stats

Votes
Laura Stayton
  • Property Manager
  • Delaware
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Delaware
Replied Oct 23 2023, 18:11

I'm 25 and just closed on my 2nd property that I will be owner occupying / house hacking and moving out of my current house hack to rent out to a family/tenant. It's a 4 bed 2 bath house. I found a local property management company that offers a "lease only service" meaning that they will take pics, market/list the property for rent, handle showings, screenings, and paperwork to onboard the tenant and then hand it over to me to manage. I've decided that I want to manage it myself for at least a year to not only save costs but because the property is local to my next one, I've lived in it for over a year so I know the maintenance of the home, and I'm a PM for a home builder so I have all the handyman/tradesmen relationships that I can use for any repairs. The PM company charges a fee equal to first months rent for this lease only service. I would rent the property for $2000. Do you think it's worth $2000 to have a company handle the full tenant onboarding process?

Since I'm young and haven't done this leasing/renting out process before (my house hack roomates have been friends), I'm afraid of onboarding the wrong tenant or drafting up paperwork/leases that doesn't fully protect me as a landlord. Plus doing a bunch of showings and processing applications doesn't sound too fun either. Is the tenant onboarding process really that difficult or strenuous to where it's worth utilizing this lease only service despite the fairly hefty fee for a process that will probably take the PM company roughly 2-3 weeks to do?

Yes it's worth it if you have a reputable management company.  We market the home, handle the showings, application, credit and background checks, verify income etc and then submit to the owner for approval.  Once approved, we offer a lease to the tenants, collect first months rent (which we retain) and security deposit (payable to owner)  We also make sure they have utilities transferred and renter insurance in place before obtaining keys for move in.  We then turn everything over to the owner.

If you don't know what you're doing, there are so many missteps you can make along the way and believe me there are some sophisticated scammers out there these days.  Protect yourself.  You also need a binding lease that abides by the landlord tenant code of your state so it's enforceable.

Totally worth it and why we have the same owners come back to us time and time again as needed when the tenants we place move and they need us again.

Good luck

User Stats

Votes
Replied Oct 25 2023, 13:51

I did 3 evictions this year as tenants were non paying. The PM or realtor does not really care how good the tenant is. They will place them with minimal screening and they cause lots of maintenance issues and do not pay rent in time. I have started screening after the realtor screens them and tell the rules, setting expectations upfront.

User Stats

Votes
Ben Scott
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Oklahoma City, OK
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Oklahoma City, OK
Replied Oct 25 2023, 14:28

If you allow the PM to find and vet the tenant, I'd want a qualified reasons and/or background reports as to why the PM thinks this is your best tenant option. Largely to avoid the PM from throwing the first warm body in that fills out an app and you're stuff with a bozo. I'd see if the PM would accept 75% of first month's rent as a lease fee. I've done that for other clients who want to self manage but don't want the headache of taking calls, scheduling showings, etc

User Stats

Votes
Corby Goade
  • Investor
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Boise, ID
Replied Oct 25 2023, 15:01
Quote from @Harita Konjeti:

I did 3 evictions this year as tenants were non paying. The PM or realtor does not really care how good the tenant is. They will place them with minimal screening and they cause lots of maintenance issues and do not pay rent in time. I have started screening after the realtor screens them and tell the rules, setting expectations upfront.

I'm not sure this broad, sweeping statement is totally accurate. If the screening isn't stadardized, they are probably violating fair housing which would cause them all kinds of problems. 

User Stats

Votes
Angie Russell
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • South Florida
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • South Florida
Replied Oct 25 2023, 15:41

It is a shame that you feel this way and it's an even bigger shame if the PM/realtor really didn't care. I have been doing property management for 10 years and take pride in my work and having as close to a zero delinquency as possible. Good luck in the future.

DEFY Property Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Angie Russell
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • South Florida
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • South Florida
Replied Oct 25 2023, 15:55

Ryan, Screening is not that difficult. You just need to make sure you take your time and cover all of your basis. The basics are income which is typically 3 times the monthly rent. Do an employment check. That means collecting the last three pay stubs then calling to verify that they do actually work there (stubs are forged so much these days). If they look questionable, add a few numbers up (it's crazy how often they are wrong). You can also request their last bank statement and see if the deposits match up to the stubs. If they use tax returns, it is almost the end of the year don't just accept 2022's. They could have quit or gotten fired months ago. If they are a new business, ask for a letter from a CPA (make sure they are legit). Then look them up on your state website to make sure their a real business. Of course run their credit. I personally do not go by a credit score. I have approved people in the 500's because it's student loans that has brought their score down (I ignore medical and student loans). Do a rental verification. If they have a mortgage, I just use what it states on their credit report on if it's good or bad (do they have late payments). Take initiative and call previous landlords. If they don't answer, call back. Many credit checks come back with previous addresses. Google the addresses and make sure they aren't lying about where they lived.

I think those are the basics. And please don't do crappy things like go through their bank statements and deny because you don't like how they spend their money. That is not your business. I know a lot of people look at Debt to Income too, I also think that's crappy. I have been over extended many times in my past but never have I not paid a bill (well except some student loans back in the day :)).

Good luck and reach out if you need help. 847-275-3327

User Stats

Votes
Angie Russell
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • South Florida
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • South Florida
Replied Oct 25 2023, 15:56

Oh and OF COURSE a background check (which automatically comes with my rental check so I forgot to mention).

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 8 2023, 05:12

I used a PM for that once, never again. In my opinion, you either hire a PM or you don't. Maybe I used the wrong PM, but I had a bad experience doing that.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 24 2024, 12:29
I am not why I should fee shame, If someone takes money to find a good tenant and they do not do their job well. Do not pass such comments.

Angie Russell

Quote from @Angie Russell:

It is a shame that you feel this way and it's an even bigger shame if the PM/realtor really didn't care. I have been doing property management for 10 years and take pride in my work and having as close to a zero delinquency as possible. Good luck in the future.

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.