• Rental Property Investor
  • Sedona, AZ
Votes |
Property Manager For Medium-Term (i.e. more than 30-day) Rental

Richie Thomas
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Sedona, AZ
Posted Feb 23 2021, 13:14

I'm considering the purchase of my first investment property (in the Raleigh, NC area), to rent out for medium-term periods (i.e. greater than 30 days but less than 3 months) to nurses and other traveling professionals. Since I'm an out-of-state investor, I'll need a PM to act as my boots-on-the-ground. The marketing and tenant selection would be taken care of by the online housing platform I'll be using, so I mostly need someone to be available in case of tenant emergencies, and to coordinate change-overs in between reservations.

I'm guessing this is outside the job description of a typical property manager, and that most PMs wouldn't be interested? I thought about looking for a short-term rental manager since it might be more in their wheelhouse, but Raleigh has pretty stringent STR laws, including that hosts must live on-site if the rental is less than 30 days, so I'm guessing an STR-specific property manager is not too common in the area. Any recommendations for which type of professional I can use for such a specialty job?

I already posted this in the Raleigh forum as well, but I imagine other people in other regions might have faced and solved a similar problem in the past.