Rental Investment for newbies in Ottawa

9 Replies

I live in GTA and looking to invest in Ottawa. I started with working with a Mortgage broker and a local Real Estate Agent in Ottawa.
I want to connect with local Ottawa investors to know about the sub-markets in Ottawa better to make better decisions. 

Thanks,

Ramesh

Hi Ramesh,

Have you done any research into what kind of investment you're looking to make? Commercial, Mixed Use, Conversions, SDUs, Infill, Purpose Built, SFH, Multi's?

With a little bit more information the group here may be able to help you narrow down suburbs and areas to look for and avoid.

Paul

Originally posted by @Paul Hanchard :

Hi Ramesh,

Have you done any research into what kind of investment you're looking to make? Commercial, Mixed Use, Conversions, SDUs, Infill, Purpose Built, SFH, Multi's?

With a little bit more information the group here may be able to help you narrow down suburbs and areas to look for and avoid.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your response. I am looking to invest primarily into SFH, and also open to doing BRRRR strategy if I can land on a really good deal by creating a secondary dwelling unit in the basement. With my little knowledge on Ottawa and basic research, I have shortlisted few neighborhoods like Kanata,Barrhaven, Stittsville, Centrepointe, Nepean, Vanier North and Arnprior as my target areas. My criteria is to get around 3% to 5% of Cash flow (since it's difficult with the current sellers' market) and achieve appreciation since it will a be "Buy and Hold" from a long term plan for me. Also, I am not sure if renovating as part of the BRRRR strategy is possible from a long distance given the current market since I live in the GTA.

Regards,
Ramesh

Another newbie, from Toronto.  Still exploring but leaning toward multi family, likely duplex or triplex, with some potential for enhancement and appreciation, long term rental.  I have family in Kanata and would like a property no more than 30 minutes distant.  Any advice.

Hello, Everyone. I highly recommend you look into Peterborough. It's closer than Ottawa and the Purchase Price to Rents ratio is one of the highest I've seen in Ontario. I've been investing there for the last few years and Peterborough is a growing city. With the recent 407 Extension, you will see more commuters calling Peterborough their home.

Thanks Paul, for responding.  I am at that stage of not knowing what I don’t know.  Also finding a disconnect between purchase prices and rents that can be asked.  I will contact you when I can be more specific.