Getting US citizenship through RE

4 Replies

Hi BP family

I was recently approached to invest in the US so I could get a US citizenship through the EB5/E2 visa process. Has any one done this? What benefits and shortfall are there in doing this? Being Canadian and not really planning on working in the US, not sure this would be worth it due to the cost to set this up and the continued double taxation. 

Thanks in advance.

You can get an E2 investor visa, however it won't lead to citizenship.  It takes anywhere from 3 to 12 months, and up to $10K depending on how good an attorney you have and your business plan.  

Originally posted by @Huong Luu :

Hi BP family

I was recently approached to invest in the US so I could get a US citizenship through the EB5/E2 visa process. Has any one done this? What benefits and shortfall are there in doing this? Being Canadian and not really planning on working in the US, not sure this would be worth it due to the cost to set this up and the continued double taxation. 

Thanks in advance.

Canadian Medical Insurance will be gone.

The USA does not offer Free Medical Insurance unless you are on some kind of public assistance.

Promotion
RentRedi
Smart Tech For The Smart Landlord
The Smart Way To Manage Your Rentals
Enjoy growing your portfolio without paying more for it. Unlimited units & easy-to-use apps.
Get Unlimited Units

@Huong Luu I moved down to Orlando from Ontario 3 years ago on an E2 Visa.  Like @Chad U. said it doesn't lead to citizenship but you can renew indefinitely.  You must be running an active business though, so I purchased a HomeVestors franchise.  EB5 was also an option but much more costly... however I believe it does get you a green card.  

@Huong Luu We are currently going through the process for an E2 VISA. The benefit of doing so is we want the SSN in order to be able to qualify for the same financing as a US citizen. Right now we are considered "foreign nationals" and this reduces the LTV and increases the interest rates for acquisitions.