Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Dec 30 2013, 07:36

@Antonio Bodley I use RocketLawyer with no issues. Why do you think it is a scam?

User Stats

Votes
Antonio Bodley
  • Alabama
Votes |
  • Alabama
Replied Jan 3 2014, 18:47

@Sean H. I didn't say it was a scam. I am asking if it is a scam because of the complaints I read from other people who uses them said it was a scam. I just wanted to know if this is true or not.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Wade Sikkink
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Lincoln, NE
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Lincoln, NE
Replied Jan 5 2014, 06:29

I've used Legalzoom to set up an LLC and it was easy. They try to upsell you on tons of stuff, but other than that it was a good process. Quick and affordable.

User Stats

Votes
Lynn Currie
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jan 5 2014, 07:15

I have a subscription with, and use RocketLawyer, mostly for basic contracts like leases and walk-through checklists. I've been really happy with the service and particularly appreciate the step-by-step instructions and explanations while filling out the contracts. I haven't used it to create an LLC, but would use their service for this if I was doing a basic, small company setup.

Anytime I'm creating legal docs for an entity that has a substantial amount of money involved or potential liability issues (i.e. pretty much any real estate venture I'm involved in), I use a lawyer.

Lynn

User Stats

Votes
Alex Stanier
  • Oxford, Oxon
Votes |
  • Oxford, Oxon
Replied Aug 27 2014, 05:29

I realise this might now be too late, but don't use Rocket Lawyer. Their T's and C's make it clear that the advice and content you get from them is generic and not tailored to you. They specifically advise instructing a lawyer if you want advice on your own situation. But most importantly, they limit their liability to a maximum of 12 months worth of fees (if you have actually paid for the 12 months prior to needing to claim - if your claim comes to light years after using the service, their liability to you is $0!!). So you may as well draft your own legal documents from scratch for all the protection you are getting from Rocket Lawyer and save yourself the cost of joining them. Better yet, just pay a bit extra up front and get tailored, advice from a trained, insured, professional. 

User Stats

Votes
Rob C.
  • Investor
  • Oceanside, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Oceanside, CA
Replied May 16 2018, 22:33

Thanks Alex for the catch in their terms and conditions, and for posting here! I'm surprised to see the biggerpockets site endorsing it in spite of this. 

I am considering going with legalzoom instead in light of this. I skimmed the terms and conditions of legalzoom, and although they have similar limits of liability at least they do not appear to suggest external counsel for one's unique situation. That makes me think that at least the advice I get by setting up an appointment with an attorney included in legalzoom's service would in fact be legal advice tailored to my own situation (and therefore come along with the same kind of liability and hopefully E&O that a regular real estate attorney would). Am I wrong in that thinking?

Thanks

Rob 

User Stats

Votes
Marian Smith
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Williamson County, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Williamson County, TX
Replied May 17 2018, 00:21

You can diy or consult a lawyer. Nolo press books at the library, gale databases at the library, the online sites are all basically diy. If you do not want to read up on forming an llc prior to filling out forms then you need a service that asks questions as you go...like turbotax for taxes. If your situation is complicated or out of the norm for whatever reason, you need to research ( read up...you know, “Dummy guide to LLC” etc) or hire a lawyer. Diy or not.