• Rental Property Investor
  • Norwalk, CA
Votes |
Real Estate agent in Bakersfield Ca

David Latham
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Norwalk, CA
Posted Jul 25 2016, 12:51

Does anybody know of or have any experience with a very good real estate agent in Bakersfield California? If not is anybody familiar with real estate in Bakersfield?

User Stats

Votes
Jeet Sangha
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Gilroy, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Gilroy, CA
Replied Jul 25 2016, 13:07

I think Max Gradowitz works with investors. He's regular here on BP and should be able to help you out.

Coldwell Banker Realty Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Guerrero
  • Bakersfield, CA
Votes |
  • Bakersfield, CA
Replied Jul 25 2016, 14:04

Hey David good afternoon, I am agent here in Bakersfield and I work with a team of Realtors.  We have extensive experience working with investors so please don't hesitate to message me and we can exchange contact info.  I'd be more than happy to work with you.  

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Max Gradowitz
  • Bakersfield, CA
Votes |
  • Bakersfield, CA
Replied Jul 25 2016, 20:57

Thanks for the shoutout @Jeet Sangha

I'd recommend myself, but that would just be weird.  Instead, I'd recommend browsing through the Bakersfield thread and looking around there so you can see good examples of my financial breakdowns of specific properties and other analyses regarding investment properties in Bakersfield.

Without going into too much detail, I'd highly recommend looking for a small scale multi-unit property (2 to 4 units) because in my experience they tend to cash flow much better here, far better than SFRs.  If you are looking solely to flip and not hold on to properties, then SFRs are a lot better for flips.  Most people here in BiggerPockets that buy in Bakersfield (and a lot of them do, its a great market for it) tend to be "buy and hold" type investors, so that's why I always recommend multi-unit properties for that.  Triplexes and fourplexes specifically.

Good luck with your investments, whatever route you take!

User Stats

Votes
Jeet Sangha
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Gilroy, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Gilroy, CA
Replied Jul 25 2016, 21:39

No problem Max Gradowitz
I've never dealt with a multifamily before. What is an ideal 4plex deal in your opinion based just on numbers? Specially here in Bakersfield?
I feel like the 4plex has to be around 200k to bring 150/door after accounting for vacancy, repairs, cap ex and management fees etc.

Coldwell Banker Realty Logo

User Stats

Votes
Max Gradowitz
  • Bakersfield, CA
Votes |
  • Bakersfield, CA
Replied Jul 26 2016, 18:26

@Jeet Sangha The thing is that fourplexes range so much in price, and usually the higher the listing price the more the rents.  The average inexpensive fourplex in a B or C class neighborhood is going to be around $200k to $300k.  I'll just take one example of one that I was pursuing for a recent client from San Diego that I met here on BiggerPockets:

It was a fourplex in a fairly rough area (Old Kern area of town) but where there are a lot of multi-units and lots of rentals.  It was listed at $299k and nets $595 a month for each unit in rent (totaling $2380 each month).  After making a proforma breakdown of the monthly expenses such as the mortgage payment, the taxes, repairs, vacancies, utilities, and management fees, I calculated a monthly profit of $700 a month.  Divided "per door", that's $175 a door.  I'd say between $150 and $180 per door is normal for a good fourplex.