• Rental Property Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Due Diligence- What would you do?

Jorge Ruiz
  • Los Angeles, CA
Posted Jun 23 2017, 12:32
Hello BP! Need your help. In my attempt to build a team in order to invest out of state I have been reaching out to other investors, property managers- well you get the picture. So I did a check on a certain individual and his company. I checked the Secretary of State web page-nothing. They have a link on their webpage to the Better Business Bureau and it states that company is not registered with them. Checked the office address and it doesn't show up on the map apps or even the real estate apps??? Safe to say I shouldn't do business with this group... what do you think BP Nation? I say no. Thanks Jorge

User Stats

Votes
Tyler Libby
  • Investor
  • Georgetown, MA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Georgetown, MA
Replied Jun 23 2017, 12:47

The business address isn't real? That's a red flag of course.

BBB doesn't necessarily mean anything.  They are a self-regulated org with no authority so some business don't even bother with them.  

Are they calling themselves an LLC or a corp? Obviously, that would be illegal if they are not registered. They may not be listed with the Sec of state if they are not though, if they are like a DBA or something, I'm not sure of your state's laws on that.

User Stats

Votes
Tim Reavis
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Wilmington, NC
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Wilmington, NC
Replied Jun 23 2017, 19:11

Check the register of deeds in the county the company operates out of... if it's a DBA (sole proprietor) they'll have the assumed name registered...the SOS will only have records for corps and llc's

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jorge Ruiz
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jun 24 2017, 08:40

Tim Reavis on their website they claim to be an LLC.