Votes
Mitchell Catoe
Pro Member
Votes |
What is going on with HOI in FL

Mitchell Catoe
Pro Member
Posted Jan 13 2023, 08:01

My wife and I are purchasing a STR in bay county. I got a great deal on the property which is why we moved forward, however I have recently been floored by HOI, the lowest quote I've gotten is 6k, is anybody having this issue. Any referrals would be helpful…….I also wonder if existing homeowners are seeing this influx across the board

User Stats

Votes
Randall Alan
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Lakeland, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Lakeland, FL
Replied Jan 13 2023, 09:26
Quote from @Mitchell Catoe:

My wife and I are purchasing a STR in bay county. I got a great deal on the property which is why we moved forward, however I have recently been floored by HOI, the lowest quote I've gotten is 6k, is anybody having this issue. Any referrals would be helpful…….I also wonder if existing homeowners are seeing this influx across the board

Without knowing the value of your house the $6,000 value is out of context.  I can tell you for smaller rentals we pay $1,000 to $1,500 per year - those homes probably are worth $125-175,000.

We have medium size house in the $250-300,000 that run in the mid 2,000 per year for insurance, and up at the $700-800,000 range we pay around $5,000.   

If you aren’t  familiar with the Florida insurance situation, there’s been a huge amount of litigation from roofing companies that have forced the insurance companies to pay for new roofs. This caused the insurance companies to jack up their rates severely. Many insurance companies up and completely left the Florida market. Citizens insurance is usually the cheapest insurance company available these days, which is the insurance of last resort in Florida. Citizens will make you go to a regular insurer if their rates are within 20% of what citizens rates are - as they have taken on way too much risk.

The legislature has tried  to solve the insurance crisis a couple times, but I haven’t seen rates  start to come down at all. At this point, they’re just trying to keep the insurance companies that are still here from leaving.

Randy 

User Stats

Votes
Mitchell Catoe
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jan 13 2023, 14:59
Quote from @Randall Alan:

Without knowing the value of your house the $6,000 value is out of context.  I can tell you for smaller rentals we pay $1,000 to $1,500 per year - those homes probably are worth $125-175,000.

We have medium size house in the $250-300,000 that run in the mid 2,000 per year for insurance, and up at the $700-800,000 range we pay around $5,000.   

If you aren’t  familiar with the Florida insurance situation, there’s been a huge amount of litigation from roofing companies that have forced the insurance companies to pay for new roofs. This caused the insurance companies to jack up their rates severely. Many insurance companies up and completely left the Florida market. Citizens insurance is usually the cheapest insurance company available these days, which is the insurance of last resort in Florida. Citizens will make you go to a regular insurer if their rates are within 20% of what citizens rates are - as they have taken on way too much risk.

The legislature has tried  to solve the insurance crisis a couple times, but I haven’t seen rates  start to come down at all. At this point, they’re just trying to keep the insurance companies that are still here from leaving.

Randy 

We paid 303k for the property, that still doesn’t add up for what your saying, I’ll try to give the citizens company a call, thank you for the response 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Randall Alan
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Lakeland, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Lakeland, FL
Replied Jan 13 2023, 20:07

Randy 

We paid 303k for the property, that still doesn’t add up for what your saying, I’ll try to give the citizens company a call, thank you for the response 

@Mitchell Catoe

Be sure to have a 4 point inspection conducted and submit it to your insurance companies.  It can literally save you thousands of dollars.  It looks at the roof, plumbing, electrical and A/C of your property.  Costs under $200, but will save you WAY more year after year.  We have literally seen $2,000 reductions in our rates… but a lot will depend on how well your property is constructed. 

Randy 

User Stats

Votes
Mitchell Catoe
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jan 14 2023, 11:03

Yeah I mean we have had a wind mit and the 4 point inspection and it’s still 6k

User Stats

Votes
V.G Jason
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jan 14 2023, 11:17

It's the reason I haven't looked at Florida in my short list for REI. The HOI issues are widespread with people being fraudulent and insurance companies not providing liquidity in that market anymore due to the roofing scam. It'll take policy changes, that I think are taking place now. I live there personally, and remember hearing about all these issues.

With that said, everybody needs to look at their HOI. With the price to build more expensive, everyone's HOI is outdated. If your house burned, you likely wouldn't be able to build anywhere near what you have.

User Stats

Votes
Billy Daniel
Pro Member
  • Russellville, AR
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Russellville, AR
Replied Jan 14 2023, 11:59

It's happening in several markets.  I've heard from other brokers that certain areas are not only seeing much higher rates, but are given fewer options as companies leave areas prone to natural disasters.  The gulf coast (hurricanes) and the West (wildfires) are getting hit particularly hard.  I heard from one LA broker that their area only has about 5 insurance companies to choose from for their properties.  

This is an unspoken risk of climate change as these events become larger and more costly.  

User Stats

Votes
V.G Jason
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jan 15 2023, 16:24
Quote from @Billy Daniel:

It's happening in several markets.  I've heard from other brokers that certain areas are not only seeing much higher rates, but are given fewer options as companies leave areas prone to natural disasters.  The gulf coast (hurricanes) and the West (wildfires) are getting hit particularly hard.  I heard from one LA broker that their area only has about 5 insurance companies to choose from for their properties.  

This is an unspoken risk of climate change as these events become larger and more costly.  

My Austin HOI skyrocketed 60% more. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 15 2023, 17:21
Quote from @V.G Jason:

Your property taxes are also up that much lol. 

User Stats

Votes
V.G Jason
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jan 15 2023, 18:49
Quote from @Galen Ikonomov:
Quote from @V.G Jason:

Your property taxes are also up that much lol. 

Fortunately, they are not. 

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied Jan 15 2023, 18:52

Is it in a flood zone?

District Invest Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jared Townsend
  • Insurance Agent
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Insurance Agent
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Jan 17 2023, 06:50

@Mitchell Catoe A quick heads up that Citizens does not allow for short term rental use. There are other markets out there, but for a coastal property $6,000 may be the best there is. In the next 12-18 months we should see new carriers to the market and old markets open back up more. This will allow for more competition and push rates back down - so you may only have that astronomical cost for a few years. 

User Stats

Votes
January Johnson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Emerald Coast, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Emerald Coast, FL
Replied Jan 17 2023, 09:01

I'm so sorry that your agent didn't warn you! This is one of the FIRST things I let my investor clients know. One thing that can help GREATLY with the cost of insurance is by purchasing a newer property. I sold a 5/3, built in 2018, to be used as an STR, and the insurance was $3,500. If you are buying an older property, your cost will definitely be more.

User Stats

Votes
January Johnson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Emerald Coast, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Emerald Coast, FL
Replied Jan 17 2023, 09:02
Quote from @Russell Brazil:

Is it in a flood zone?

Flood insurance is a separate policy and most are assumable by new buyers at the current rate.  

User Stats

Votes
January Johnson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Emerald Coast, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Emerald Coast, FL
Replied Jan 17 2023, 09:04

Randy 

Additionally, over 75% of all claims recently have been "attorney-attached", which meant insurers paid out WAY MORE than they would have normally.  This is also driving rates up.

User Stats

Votes
Mitchell Catoe
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jan 17 2023, 13:21

If anyone has a contact that would be awesome