Skip to content
Market Trends & Data

User Stats

Votes
Colby Zeller
Votes |
How will market trends affect appreciation In Columbus area for 2023 ?

Colby Zeller
Posted Feb 28 2023, 06:21

Hi BP community, Ive been researching a-lot into the Columbus area, and plan on buying my first rental there once I graduate from college. I've been watching a-lot of podcasts, and each one has a different opinion on how appreciation will affect the market going into the next year. What I want to know is what the BP thinks about how market trends will affect the Columbus area in 2023, and will it still be a good year for a newbie in the space to buy his first property !

User Stats

Votes
David Ramirez
Pro Member
#1 Wholesaling Contributor
  • Wholesaler
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Wholesaling Contributor
  • Wholesaler
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Feb 28 2023, 07:25

Hey @Colby Zeller,  You make money when you buy, so be ready to recognize opportunities and act on them. Run the numbers, stay rational, and avoid making emotional decisions. Let me know if you need help or advice. Good luck with your investing!

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Styer
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Feb 28 2023, 07:56

Anything you hear from anyone is just a guess, no one knows the future. That being said, here's mine: 

Intel is going to have a crazy impact on Central Ohio, beyond just Columbus. The housing demand is only going to increase, and we are currently in a shortage. There may be a dip nationwide, I just don't see Columbus going anywhere but up, barring something majorly unforeseen. 

This Intel chip fab is going to be the biggest in the world, and the entire country needs it. It's funded by the federal government, so it's happening. We just don't have enough housing, and it's not being built fast enough, so prices are just going to go up. Again, this is just my opinion. If you're looking to buy in Columbus, now is the time, well, 

Feel free to reach out to me if you want more info on what's happening with Intel. 

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Remington Lyman
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Feb 28 2023, 08:26
Quote from @Colby Zeller:

Hi BP community, Ive been researching a-lot into the Columbus area, and plan on buying my first rental there once I graduate from college. I've been watching a-lot of podcasts, and each one has a different opinion on how appreciation will affect the market going into the next year. What I want to know is what the BP thinks about how market trends will affect the Columbus area in 2023, and will it still be a good year for a newbie in the space to buy his first property !

My philosophy is - It's better to invest in real estate with a long-term strategy at any point, then try to time the market.Why timing the real estate market rarely works

• Real Estate Agent Ohio (#2019003078)

Reafco Logo

User Stats

Votes
Randy Rodenhouse
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Charleston, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Charleston, SC
Replied Feb 28 2023, 08:51

Columbus is a good market since the values are moving up but not overheated like many other major metro areas.  There are house you can buy and still cash flow in many parts of Ohio and Columbus is one of them.  I am not sure what you are looking to do in real estate but always make sure the property will cash flow.  You can weather any market if the property brings in money each month even if the value drops because eventually the value will rebound.  

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 28 2023, 09:02

https://www.zillow.com/home-va... 

looks solid to me in term of chart, better than san francisco LOL

User Stats

Votes
Jimmy Lieu
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Feb 28 2023, 09:04

Columbus, Ohio is one of the best cities to invest in real estate in my opinion. It's the only city in the rust belt which the population is growing year-after-year. As a real estate investor, you want to find where people are headed and jobs are going - all signs are leading to Columbus! Also, Intel is building its gigafactory here in New Albany, which will mean massive growth in the next decade or two. As a local investor and agent here, if you have any questions about Columbus, I'd love to help!

User Stats

Votes
Austin Steed
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Feb 28 2023, 11:05
Quote from @Remington Lyman:

My philosophy is - It's better to invest in real estate with a long-term strategy at any point, then try to time the market.Why timing the real estate market rarely works

Yeah I'm with @Remington Lyman here. Dollar cost average Real Estate and you'll be good to go. Takes the exhausting market timing out of things. I've been buying in Columbus OH since 2019 and have bought at least 6 doors a year. 

My thought is maybe when debt service is expensive you acquire in cheaper areas but still my goal is to buy another 6 doors. Also keep in mind that many people look at year 1 COC returns. If your plan is to hold for the long term that year 5 will be there too.

User Stats

Votes
Hamp Lee III
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Feb 28 2023, 12:00

It's always a good time to buy. There are deals out there that make sense for you and your wallet. Keep educating yourself and take action. 

There are many programs for first-time buyers as well.

If you need an investor-friendly agent in your area, let me know. I'll get you connected.

I wish you all the best!

User Stats

Votes
Colby Zeller
Votes |
Replied Mar 1 2023, 06:35
Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:

https://www.zillow.com/home-va... 

looks solid to me in term of chart, better than san francisco LOL

LOL

User Stats

Votes
Tommy Parker
  • Property Manager
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Mar 10 2023, 08:10

Timing the market is hard. It's important to have a strategy and run the numbers on any property. If it makes sense long term then go for it. Hope this helps!

User Stats

Votes
Alfath Ahmed
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Mar 12 2023, 16:10

The Columbus market has been performing at a level much higher than many other cities in America. I've personally invested my entire portfolio in Columbus and have been very profitable. I am in the market searching and looking to buy again. 

Most of my clients from out-of-state and in-state are buying right now because they know what their properties will be worth in the up-coming 2-3 years with the new developments like (Intel, amazon, Honda giga-factory, whitehall development, etc..). 

Let me know if you want to connect and learn more about the Columbus market and where to invest for the high CoC returns.