When is bad news good news for interest rates?

When is bad news good news for interest rates?

Andrew PostellPro Member
Lender · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 6k+ votes

The bond market is surging this morning following a decisively weak August employment report, which showed just 22,000 jobs added—a far cry from the 80,000 economists had expected. The unemployment rate ticked up to 4.3%, and June’s payrolls were revised downward to a loss of 13,000, marking the first monthly decline since December 2020.

This data has sharpened the dovish tilt in rate expectations. Treasury yields are markedly lower, led by the 10-year note, which is trading at 4.06%, down from its summer range of 4.20% to 4.50%. Mortgage bonds are rallying in tandem, with UMBS 6s up 8 ticks, trading in the mid-102s, and 5.5s gaining traction as the new current coupon.

Fed Funds futures now reflect a near-certainty of a rate cut at the November or December FOMC meetings, with some strategists even floating the possibility of a half-point cut if labor softness deepens.

According to RBC Capital Markets, markets were already positioned for a soft print—but today’s report exceeded expectations for weakness, reinforcing the Fed’s pivot narrative. The Fed’s dual mandate is now in sharper focus. With inflation pressures easing and employment faltering, the central bank may shift its emphasis from price stability to labor market support. The latest Beige Book confirms that seven of twelve Fed districts are seeing hiring hesitancy due to weaker demand and economic uncertainty.

Strategists at ALM First note that the bond market has now priced in an additional 25 basis points of easing over the next 12–18 months, fully baking in a September cut and laying the groundwork for further accommodation.

0Reply
76 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • William ThompsonBusiness Member
    Accountant · Williamstown, NJ · Member since 2025 · 324 posts · 178 votes
    1y

    Big shifts like this in the bond market ripple fast into real estate—lower yields often mean better financing terms, but they also change how you should think about timing acquisitions, refis, and even tax planning. I’ve been walking clients through scenarios on how a potential rate cut could impact cash flow and strategy over the next 12–18 months. If anyone here wants to see how these shifts might affect their own deals, happy to chat through some numbers.

    RE Accounting and Tax Professionals LLC522 Reviews
  • Wholesaler, Rehabber and Landlord · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    So...if jobs are trickling down or unemployment is slightly up, does that mean that the economy is NOT doing as good as it should be?? That might mean that prices might get hit a little harder because there are less people looking for a place to purchase??

    Lower rates might be good for investors to finance a lower payment, but is the value going to be there if you can not rent the property or it takes 6 months to get a tenant??

  • Andrew PostellPro Member
    OP
    Lender · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    1y

    @Rick Pozos hmm, I guess "should" might be a little open to interpretation but yes, usually mortgage rates go down when the economy isn't doing so well.  Remember the shutdown?  The only saving grace in the economy was mortgage rates.  Everything else was in the gutter.  Now, there's an alternative thought as well.  Since mortgage rates are tied to the 10 year treasury (and not the federal reserve rate) the more risk people/funds are willing to take, the less demand for the 10 year treasury.  The 10 year treasury becomes in demand when there is a need for a safe place to harbor money.  That's why it did so well in the 70's - and that's why mortgage rates were so high then.

    Now, all that to say that buying real estate has NOT changed.  At least, the fundamental principles of it that have been around for decades have not changed.  Real estate is stable.  It's tangible.  Even if my houses went to a value of $0 - I still have a house.  When my stock goes to $0 - I'm out.  Don't get me wrong, I can buy a stock for $5.  I don't even need good credit to invest in the stock market.  But real estate gives me better returns on my money year in and year out.  Again, I'm speaking about residential real estate.  And we are speaking about INVESTING. That's the money that I have left over AFTER my bills. So, if I am choosing to invest in things...it's hard to beat the returns of using the BRRRR Method to acquire properties. It is certainly NOT hands off though.  I have to work really hard for it.  Sometimes people talk about real estate like it's really easy - it ain't.  

    This is my perspective of course, but I've been doing this for 25 years.  I invested during 9/11, I invested during the housing crises, I'm investing in whatever funky thing you want to call this period of time.  No other platform would have allowed me to take $4k and turn it in to over $1million.  This is STILL the best place to create financial independence and generational wealth.  I could keep going but I hope that makes sense how I am describing all of this.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.