• San Francisco, CA
Votes |
Qualifying for FHA for MultiFamily unit

Jalpan Jangiani
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Francisco, CA
Posted Aug 10 2022, 20:28

Hello Fellow House Hackers,

This is a follow up post to my previous one. I got a really good response from all of you, which motivated me to proceed to the next step.

So I reached out to my lender regarding my interest for Primary Residence Multi Family Property (preferably 3-4 units) with 5% down. She told me that the rents of all units have to be pretty high to qualify for 3-4 units with 5% down. They only consider 70% of the rental income towards the mortgage payment. 

1) Have any of you had troubles qualifying with this strict requirements? (My location is Alameda, CA)

2) Do you advice me to go with FHA or find some jumbo option?

3) Any of you familiar with DSCR type loan? She says we still require 20-25% down for this as well.

User Stats

Votes
Erik Browning
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • CO CA TX WA ID OR
Votes |
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • CO CA TX WA ID OR
Replied Aug 10 2022, 22:42

@Jalpan Jangiani I see you are trying your hardest to get into a deal however there are many technically wrong details in this post that do not satisfy lender requirements. I don’t think this is your fault, but instead the source of information that you are reading or listening to.

In a nutshell, you need to pass the self sufficiency test for an FHA

FHA is 3.5% down but you can do 5%. But if you do 5%, you might as well go conventional.

Alameda is expensive, you likely can't get an FHA that high.

70% is inaccurate, it’s 75% for Fannie Mae and that’s if you already have history as a landlord.

You have other inaccuracies, again not your fault, but you should really understand this before jumping into financing that doesn’t make sense, it will cost you.

Feel free to send a message and We can set up a time for a phone call

• Lender

• (707) 595-7574

User Stats

Votes
Anastasia G.
  • Lender
  • NJ NY PA CT GA FL, Puerto Rico
Votes |
  • Lender
  • NJ NY PA CT GA FL, Puerto Rico
Replied Aug 11 2022, 06:04

@Jalpan Jangiani Hello!

If you were to live in the property and rent out units - then FHA is a go..However you have to be mindful on the following when it comes to 3-4 units using FHA:

❇️ Net Self-sufficiency test: rental income produced must cover mortgage payment, if rental income does not cover mortgage payment then you are not able to use FHA with 3.5% down, you would need to either increase down payment or explore conventional/non traditional financing
❇️"Net Self-Sufficiency Rental Income is calculated by using the Appraiser’s estimate of fair market rent from all units, including the unit the Borrower chooses for occupancy, and subtracting the greater of the Appraiser’s estimate for vacancies and maintenance, or 25 percent of the fair market rent." (from guidelines)
❇️ If you need rental income to qualify, you cannot just use 75% of market rent (assuming units are vacant); Effective rental is  the LESSER of 75% of Fair Market Rent/lease rent or the Net Operating income reported on Fannie Mae Form 216/Freddie 998 - this is where a lot can go wrong..you are literally at the mercy of the appraiser and underwriter..

In high cost areas like CA,NY, NJ it becomes challenging to finance 3-4 Unit property using FHA due to this self-sufficiency test.

It is important to work with lender that understands this and has experience with fha multifamily; Sometime we have to challenge appraiser and underwriter when it comes to the test & rental income. I highly recommend to run calculations before you even see the property. We empower our clients with all types of calculators, including with FHA Self-sufficiency worksheet.

Hope this helps! Feel free to reach out with any questions. 

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Katherine Serrell
  • Investor
  • Raleigh
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Raleigh
Replied Aug 15 2022, 11:01

For starters, you can find a lender that will allow you to go above that 70% of rental income. If you can shop around and get a lower interest rate that will lower your monthly payment that would help alleviate your risk of not qualifying.

1) I am in NC so cant speak for CA

2) I would 110% go with an FHA loan instead of a jumbo loan. Rates are lower, down payment is lower, can leverage your remaining cash on hand to buy other properties after the fact

3) DSCR loans are commercial loans so you would have to buy it with an LLC and wouldnt be able to owner-occupy it unless you rented from your LLC and lenders often dont like this (from what I have heard at least) plus 25% down on a multifam is A LOT more than 5% down and you would likely be able to leverage that amount of cash better elsewhere if you can swing a 3.5%-5% down FHA