Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
House Hacking
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
James Hardie
Votes |
Opportunities in Michigan

James Hardie
Posted Nov 29 2022, 15:15

Hey all, currently reading Craig Curelop's House Hacking Strategy, articles, and listening to podcasts. As someone who doesn't know the markets too well in Michigan and even though the markets aren't too hot right now it hasn't stopped me from continuing my education and goal. Any agents or investors in the metro-detroit area have a place to start or have any tips/recommendations. I would like to talk or email with anyone. I'le be doing some research on the side but I thought I would get some feedback.

User Stats

Votes
Josie Brown
Pro Member
  • Detroit, MI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Detroit, MI
Replied Nov 30 2022, 14:06

Hi James! There are some great places to invest here in metro Detroit. I'd be happy to connect and chat with you about some areas to consider.

User Stats

Votes
Jack Mawer
  • Lender
Votes |
  • Lender
Replied Nov 30 2022, 15:19

Podcasts and articles are most definitely the way to get started within hacking as well as talking to people with experience (even better if they are local to you). Best of luck!

BiggerPockets logo
Time to Refi? Get the Best Loan
|
BiggerPockets
Lender Finder helps secure the best loan for your strategy. Easily connect with top investor-friendly lenders now to lock in lowered rates. 🔒

User Stats

Votes
Scott Mac
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 30 2022, 17:45

The way I view Michigan in a macro sense is (a Rabbit jumping over a Mitten made up of):

D-Town proper-- Dangerous are with fixup areas inside the border. Lots of Vibe, and lots of old buildings and homes awaiting fixers. But you have to know where to be and where not to be to avoid personal danger.

Metro-Detroit--(outside D-Town Proper) Lots of Pro's in there touting this area, again you need to know the turf.

Eastern Michigan--above Metro Detroit. Up to Bay City. Not so hot due to not so many jobs coming in as western Mich.

Includes Flint (Crime), home of the Lead in the water issue, and Saginaw (less crime than Flint). 

Central Michigan--around the Capital. It's the State Capital and a HUGE College.

Western Michigan--Has been the hot area for a while, but turns into "The Stix" above and below it. You need to know the turf.

Northern Michigan--Deer hunting, fishing, ducks. It's a water, winter wonderland, a sportsman's dream. Above Western and Eastern Michigan to Mackinac and the BIG Bridge.

The U.P.--So beautiful, waterfalls, tourist areas, and psudo Wisconsin. 

And inside each of these areas will be cities and towns and within them will be NEIGHBORHOODS, class A, B C and D.

Knowing which neighborhoods are good for investing is a helpful thing.

Good Luck!

In case you have never heard of these guys: https://www.jameshardie.com/?loc=refresh

User Stats

Votes
James Hardie
Votes |
Replied Nov 30 2022, 17:54
Quote from @Jack Mawer:

Podcasts and articles are most definitely the way to get started within hacking as well as talking to people with experience (even better if they are local to you). Best of luck!

Thank you Jack

User Stats

Votes
James Hardie
Votes |
Replied Nov 30 2022, 18:01
Quote from @Scott Mac:

The way I view Michigan in a macro sense is (a Rabbit jumping over a Mitten made up of):

D-Town proper-- Dangerous are with fixup areas inside the border. Lots of Vibe, and lots of old buildings and homes awaiting fixers. But you have to know where to be and where not to be to avoid personal danger.

Metro-Detroit--(outside D-Town Proper) Lots of Pro's in there touting this area, again you need to know the turf.

Eastern Michigan--above Metro Detroit. Up to Bay City. Not so hot due to not so many jobs coming in as western Mich.

Includes Flint (Crime), home of the Lead in the water issue, and Saginaw (less crime than Flint). 

Central Michigan--around the Capital. It's the State Capital and a HUGE College.

Western Michigan--Has been the hot area for a while, but turns into "The Stix" above and below it. You need to know the turf.

Northern Michigan--Deer hunting, fishing, ducks. It's a water, winter wonderland, a sportsman's dream. Above Western and Eastern Michigan to Mackinac and the BIG Bridge.

And inside each of these areas will be cities and towns and within them will be NEIGHBORHOODS, class A, B C and D.

Good Luck!

In case you have never heard of these guys: https://www.jameshardie.com/?loc=refresh

Appreciate the feedback not so looking into D-Town and Eastern Michigan as a start by what you have to say and working in those areas but looking someone in central or western like you said may be something I'le look into. I've lived in Brighton my whole life north of Ann Arbor and all the areas around are nice. Finding opportunities not too far though from hometown but may be a risk I'le have to consider

User Stats

Votes
Drew Brown
  • Property Manager
  • Lansing, MI
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Lansing, MI
Replied Dec 1 2022, 06:30
Quote from @James Hardie:
Quote from @Scott Mac:

Good Luck!

Appreciate the feedback not so looking into D-Town and Eastern Michigan as a start by what you have to say and working in those areas but looking someone in central or western like you said may be something I'le look into. I've lived in Brighton my whole life north of Ann Arbor and all the areas around are nice. Finding opportunities not too far though from hometown but may be a risk I'le have to consider
Lansing and central michigan is a great and still valuable market area. I would be happy to talk about those areas? 

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit
Property Manager
Agent
#1 Innovative Strategies Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent
#1 Innovative Strategies Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Dec 1 2022, 16:52

@James Hardie

You might want to follow the "Deep Dive" series we're doing on our BiggerPockets blog about Metro Detroit cities, City of Detroit Neighborhoods and comparing Metro Detroit to other hotspots investors usually consider:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/...
(BP search feature can be problematic, so we’ve also added links @ our website under View Cities & Neighborhoods We Service)

Please send us any feedback via email, as we do not use the DM feature here.

User Stats

Votes
Joe Hammel
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Metro Detroit, MI
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Metro Detroit, MI
Replied Dec 6 2022, 18:49

@James Hardie

Check out FIRE Realty Team on here and google

User Stats

Votes
Joe Hammel
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Metro Detroit, MI
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Metro Detroit, MI
Replied Dec 6 2022, 18:50

@James Hardie

Metro Detroit

(my rental portfolio is here)

Purchase: $80k-$130k

Rent: $1200-$1500

ROI: 10-14%

Cash flow: $250-$350/door

Appreciation: Double digit (for past 10 years, will gladly send data)

We have over a dozen Fortune 500 companies just in Metro Detroit with huge Healthcare, Auto, and mortgage industry National footprints. Ever hear of Ford, Rocket mortgage, or Beaumont hospitals? All complimented with Amazon fulfillment centers, google, and more tech manufacturing jobs.

The bad reputation comes from OOS investors wanting $20k D market properties. We don’t buy those lol.