House Hacking

User Stats

Votes
Shawn C.
Votes |
Expense deductions for 1 Bed/1 Bath in Single-Family but for only 6 months

Shawn C.
Posted Jan 30 2024, 18:28

I've calculated the tenant-occupied vs. owner-occupied ratio and understand that for expenses that are for shared areas, that ratio would be applied at tax time to deduct. 

However, if it's only for 6 months out of the year, could anyone advise how that would work?  Using this as an example:

Fixing plumbing that impacts shared /common areas = $1,000.

Tenant-occupied area is 40% so deduct $400?  But since it's only 6 months, does this then have to be divided by 2 for the entire tax year?

Is it the same for depreciation? Hoping to get an idea before appointment with CPA.

Thank you.

User Stats

Votes
Vitaliy Volpov
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Albany, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Albany, NY
Replied Jan 30 2024, 20:18

Hey @Shawn C.

I'm not a CPA and I will defer to others on the platform who are who know better.  But, as I understand it, the answer to your question may depend in part on whether the property is "available for rent" (even though not actually being rented) for the other 6 months of the year.  If it's not, and it is 100% personal use during those months, then you would need to factor that into the calculation of the deductions and reduce how much you can deduct proportionately. 

Vitaliy

User Stats

Votes
Shawn C.
Votes |
Replied Jan 30 2024, 21:38

I see, I wasn't aware of that. Thank you @Vitaliy Volpov! It looks like I'll have to bring up that point specifically with a CPA.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Vitaliy Volpov
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Albany, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Albany, NY
Replied Jan 30 2024, 22:10

For sure! Good luck!