House Hacking

User Stats

Votes
Jake Kid
Votes |
SFH house hacking property management

Jake Kid
Posted Feb 2 2024, 12:46

Looking to house hack a SFH in the Virginia beach area, however I will be leaving on deployment with the next couple months. Do property management companies deal with scenarios where they rent by the room? Would like to rent out my room when I would leave.

User Stats

Votes
Clayton Silva
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • California
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • California
Replied Feb 2 2024, 13:53

He Jake, do you already have a property in mind that you own? Or are you looking to purchase one?  Not sure how much computer availability you'll have but I have started to self manage my properties (even from CA to NC) and it is not nearly as difficult as I thought it would be.  I personally use Turbotenant and it has been awesome so far with very supportive customer service!

Atlas Mortgage Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Sean Hudgins
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chesapeake Va
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chesapeake Va
Replied Feb 2 2024, 17:58
Quote from @Jake Kid:

Looking to house hack a SFH in the Virginia beach area, however I will be leaving on deployment with the next couple months. Do property management companies deal with scenarios where they rent by the room? Would like to rent out my room when I would leave.

Jake firstly Thank You for your service. I personally did this strategy back when I was active duty. I self managed the property though I also had people in it that I knew pretty well and I made sure to have some other trusted agents in the area that could check on things for me when I was out to sea. 

Most management companies are not going to be chomping at the bit to take on a rent by the room property. But as long as you have at least one person in the house that you can count on to communicate properly with you then you should be more than fine. 

You may want to build out a handbook with some SOPs that way if simple stuff like a plumbing leak or something comes up they know who to call. And determine how the payment and approval for work will be take care of before hand. 

Feel free to reach out if you have questions or need some guidance on who to have at the ready to take care of repairs while you are gone. 

Tier One Coastal Realty | KW Chesapeake Logo
BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Patti Robertson
  • Property Manager
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Replied Feb 2 2024, 18:47

Hi there.  I don't know any property managers who are willing to do room rents.  Honestly, in all the properties I have managed for military members, the very worst take overs have been homes where the military member was a roommate, and left before the others.  The remaining tenants never take care of the house the way they say they will and they tend to leave a lot of property behind when they leave.  I had one situation recently where the owner had all the room rent leases staggered so we were stuck with only one tenant for 7 months, with the owner paying all utilities.  The advice I have is to have all the leases end when YOU deploy and if you ignore this, at least have all the other leases end on the same day.

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas L.
Pro Member
#4 Guru, Book, & Course Reviews Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 Guru, Book, & Course Reviews Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Replied Feb 3 2024, 05:53

@Jake Kid

call all of them and ask

User Stats

Votes
Michael Smythe
Property Manager
#1 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Votes |
Property Manager
#1 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Replied Feb 5 2024, 13:02

@Jake Kid if you find a PMC willing to manage room-by-room, plan on paying them more for the extra headaches involved!