What issues with a house will make you run from a wholsale deal?

What issues with a house will make you run from a wholsale deal?

Rental Property Investor · Stuart, FL · Member since 2014 · 280 posts · 68 votes

When checking out a house, are there some serious issues that should tell me that the deal is going to cost A LOT of money?

0Reply
43 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Riverview, FL · Member since 2014 · 114 posts · 33 votes
12y

Chinese drywall will definatly make me exit stage left!

See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 922 posts · 336 votes
    12y

    1.  Foundation issues

    2.  Code violations (illeagal additions)

    3.  easement issues

    etc..

    Make sure you do your due dilligence when buying a house and take it out on price.  the bigger the problem the better the price when it comes to you buying it.  Cash or Wholesale.    If you see a problem that is of huge concern, get a better price.

  • Rental Property Investor · Stuart, FL · Member since 2014 · 280 posts · 68 votes
    12y

    Thanks Gerald,

    How will I spot code violations?

  • Investor · Fairview Heights, IL · Member since 2008 · 189 posts · 62 votes
    12y

    To spot code violations, got to city hall and talk to builder inspectors about possible house violations.

  • Investor · Riverside, CA · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Depends, am I buying the wholesale deal or selling it? Those are two VERY different positions.

  • Involved In Real Estate · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 42 posts · 8 votes
    12y

    I'd say if it's a foundation issue i would run from it and that can be pricy and plus their tend to be surprises when construction begins with projects like that. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Stuart, FL · Member since 2014 · 280 posts · 68 votes
    12y

    @James Enright I'll definitely do that. Thanks for the tip!

    @Aaron Mazzrillo Ya I figured that was a big one. thanks!

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    12y

    The dreaded buried fuel oil tank ...

  • Rental Property Investor · Stuart, FL · Member since 2014 · 280 posts · 68 votes
    12y

    Haha Thanks @Steve Babiak 

    ...why do these cause problems?

    Thanks

    Jordan

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    12y

    Further reading on buried oil tanks:

    http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=site%3Abiggerpockets.com%...

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 12 posts · 5 votes
    12y

    @Steve Babiak Oh god, I've seen a buried oil tank found during a home renovation show on HGTV a number of years ago. Environmental engineers, heavy equipment, destroyed yards all the way around the house (because of course it's not buried where it's easy to yank out). And that was the good ending! They didn't find any leaks into the soil in the show I was watching, but I can't even begin to imagine how much that would cost. 

  • Real Estate Investor · austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 57 posts · 7 votes
    12y

    roof repairs are expensive

  • Real Estate Consultant · Brighton, MI · Member since 2013 · 607 posts · 251 votes
    12y

    Electrical and plumbing issues can ruin a budget.  Try to stay away from properties with well and/or septic.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Daniella Ortiz:

    roof repairs are expensive

    Sure, but the amounts are predictable - seems most everything I look at or buy has need for roof repairs, so I'm not deterred by that.  Just make a price adjustment on your offer to allow for that.

  • Real Estate Investor · Pompano Beach, FL · Member since 2014 · 38 posts · 14 votes
    12y

    I have a possible deal, but part of the kitchen is sinking.  @Steve Babiak  do you think this will scare cash buyers? 

    Steven

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    12y

    Ah, there is another thing I avoid - sinkholes.  @Steven Velez if that house is in an area known for sinkholes, you might have that.  So first check for propensity for sinkholes there.  If not a sinkhole ares, then you have a foundation expert give you an idea of what it would cost to fix.

  • Rental Property Investor · Stuart, FL · Member since 2014 · 280 posts · 68 votes
    12y

    @Annette Hibbler , @Steve Babiak , @Steven Velez , @Daniella Ortiz 

    Thanks for your input and suggestions!

    - Jordan

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 84 posts · 13 votes
    12y

    So I'm guessing a complete tear down & rebuild is not a good consideration on really bad damaged homes? But what if you get it dirt cheap? Say $10k on down.

  • Real Estate Investor · Richmond, TX · Member since 2014 · 48 posts · 22 votes
    12y

    Inspectors, and a great contractor that you can trust.  I bring my contractor with me when he can make it.  I also use a spreadsheet that my contractor and I went over, from kitchen to baseboards.  It is very detailed.  It gets me pretty dang close to the repair. I also always add 10% to my repair for the wth is that, repairs.  I was talking to another investor one time.  He was telling me that he bought this property and found that the water pipes were galvanized steel. The problem was back in the 80s when Houston was booming a lot of home builders was buying galvanized pipes, the outside was galvanized but the inside was not.  Which over time will rust.  It cost him 8k to replace all the plumbing on the property.  

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    12y

    A price that is too high. 

    Any problem can be fixed. 

  • Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2013 · 788 posts · 285 votes
    12y

    It needs to be in the right location for me.

  • Investor · Jackson, MS · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 769 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Daniella Ortiz:

    roof repairs are expensive

     Even worse, is a leaky roof might cause mold, something very difficult to get rid of and it can be dangerous to the health of those living there. 

  • Investor · Riverview, FL · Member since 2014 · 114 posts · 33 votes
    12y

    Chinese drywall will definatly make me exit stage left!

  • Real Estate Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 147 posts · 32 votes
    12y

    Hi @Jordan Archer ,

    There can be a ton of stuff that could cost you a good amount. It really is hard to tell until you start demo. Obvious things are roof, foundation which could usually include doing some plumbing, termites could be a problem because its hard to know the extant of their damage, lead paint. Again, it is always good to have a contractor with you when you are looking at these properties because they might be able to catch something you don't see.

    Good luck,

    Andres J.

  • Real Estate Broker · Berkshire County, MA · Member since 2014 · 81 posts · 23 votes
    12y
    Location and functional obsolescence. I recently passed up on a flip because the whole upstairs layout was odd and the ceiling height was 6' 6" and all the bedrooms were upstairs. I believe that would have drastically reduced my ARV and my pool of potential buyers. All the numbers made sense but I was worried it could have just sat on the market for too long, which I have seen before with odd featured properties.
  • Rental Property Investor · Stuart, FL · Member since 2014 · 280 posts · 68 votes
    12y

    @Cory E. Functional obsolescence is one that I hadn't considered. Thanks for the advice!

    @Thomas Weir So what is the problem with it, and how do you know if it's Chinese?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.