which matters more; Mail piece or consistency?

14 Replies

Hello everyone,

I am in the midst of direct mail marketing journey and I would like some feedback from experienced marketers. From your experience, which would you say plays a bigger role in attracting leads; mail piece or consistency? I understand consistency is the butter that keeps the bread together but how important is it to send out multiple pieces of mail. The reason I am asking is because I am a simple person and would like nothing more than to send only postcards and receive leads vs mixing up my marketing piece which could complicate things. 

But on another note, I do not want to miss out on valuable leads because I chose not to mix up my marketing piece. I am targeting tax delinquencies if this helps. 

@Michael Q. 

@Sharon Vornholt  

Consistency for sure.  Over time you can refine your mail pieces but nothing beats being consistent and building momentum.  

Sending out a letter that says "I want to buy your house, call me" is 100% better then spending months refining your message.  

They both matter, but if you don't mail consistently no mail piece will do the job.  

-Consistency is #1.

Sharon

First you need to get your message out consistently to your prospects. 

However you also need to keep working on and improving your mailer. Until you know your mailer is getting every interested prospect, test different offers, headlines, phrases,  images/graphics (if any), envelope size, fonts and other elements of you mailer. Keep the overall feel of your mailer the same so those receiving letters can identify each came from you. However test each element above and see if it creates a better close rate in the end.  When your revised mailer beats your standard mailer, start using the new mailer and test it against new changes. Keep switching anytime the new mailer preforms better than the version before it.

Marketing has several aspects to consider:
- Offer
- Audience
- Brand/Identity

Consistency is how often we TOUCH our prospect (audience) with our message, which should position our offer in a compelling way.  Direct mail is one way (medium) that we use to touch people and it can be very effective because we can be very targeted (e.g., absentee owners of SFRs with 50%+ equity, etc.).  If you can do nothing else, I like postcards (due to the lower cost) delivered monthly at least 7 times (we call that the "rule of 7").  

But also think about other ways that you get your audience to become aware of and remember your identity (brand).  If you are posting Criaglist ads and running Facebook ads, etc. chances are you can touch some of your prospects a bunch of times via those means.  Our goal is repeated touches with a compelling message and a way to remember us and contact us when the need arises in their lives.  That takes time but it pays off for the investors that make the investments in those repeated touches...

P.S. I have some free videos on THE SEARCH for MOTIVATED SELLERS (covers those 5 topics above) and another on THE RULE of 7 on our Marketing Education page.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I really appreciate you guys

@Fitzgerald Hall  

IMHO when marketing it is vital that you deliver your message in a fashion which attracts as much opportunity as it can. In other words you want the largest volume of customers per dollar spent. 

Solution. Create a Marketing Cluster

Marketing Cluster  - which almost sounds counter intuitive.

However business clustering has been around for years and research supports the idea that like businesses who cluster will out perform those which don't.

Think about all of the different types of Business Clusters. 

On opposite corners of an intersection are different gas stations, Heck I have even seen the same brand on opposite corners. Then it is hard to find just one fast food company on a street or corner. If there is a McDonalds then typically you will find a few others as well.

It seems that Home Depot and Lowes build almost next door to each other.  

Auto Dealers have been clustering for years. In fact Cerritos Auto Square in California in the worlds largest has 29 different brands of automobiles. Crazy but not. 

And what about Shopping Malls? How can a Hundred Clothing Stores make more money being in the same building then separate buildings?

The answer is simple...

Consumers want choice.

Look at this picture.

What three things are consistent? 

1) They are all WATER

2) They are all in plastic bottles (not important)

Can you figure out the third?

3) They are all owned and sold by Coca-Cola. 

So one must ask why Coca-Cola needs to sell, in this picture, six different brands of water. Last time I checked water is water no one can make it. Couldn't Coca-Cola just have a single brand and save millions on marketing and tooling of production facilities?

Or did Coca-Cola figure out that multiple brands of the same product is better than one independent brand? Much like Business Clusters. Humm.

So the question is which matters more, the mail pieces or mail consistency? 

Since we are all consumers let me answer that question with a question.

Which is better, Choice or No Choice? 

And in the world of marketing when utilizing direct mail choice wins. But dont take my opinion for it ask yourself this question. 

If you were motivated to sell your home and you received six pieces of mail offering to buy your home and lets say that the mail pieces were six different types. You received a yellow letter, Text Postcard, Pictorial Postcard, Professional Letter, ZipLetter, and Greeting Card. 

Which sender would you decide was the best one to call upon? Maybe the most professional looking mail piece, or the one that was handwritten, even the nice greeting card with a personal message was attractive to you. Gosh but the postcard was direct and to the point and that zipletter offered a check that was really cool. 

All you have to do is decide. Who would you call. And this isnt a trick question and there are no wrong answers. You can call just one or you can call them all. It doesn't matter to me...

But why doesnt it matter? 

Because like Coca-Cola who owns 112 beverages I use all six to my advantage. I let the consume choose who they think has presented to them the best message in the most appropriate delivery vehicle. 

So here they sit on the day they decide to call and talk to a stranger about selling their home. 

They have 6 different types of mail from me all with different telephone numbers and a couple more pieces from two other people. The other two guys sent them the same thing over and over. Bored the crap out of them. In their case the consumer only keeps one of each of their marketing pieces since they're the same and throws away the rest. 

Here is what that looks like.

Different Perspective

Wouldn't you want the GREEN?

If you are spending the same amount of money as the other two guys and have 4:1 advantage wouldn't you want to Cluster Market. Wouldn't you want to give your consumer a choice? 

Thanks @Michael Q. , what a fantastic point you've made. I've always thought about this with GMC and Chevy trucks. They are the same thing just a different front end, both made by GM, some people just prefer a different look.

@Michael Q. excellent response and overview of marketing!

Originally posted by @Fitzgerald Hall :

Hello everyone,

I am in the midst of direct mail marketing journey and I would like some feedback from experienced marketers. From your experience, which would you say plays a bigger role in attracting leads; mail piece or consistency? I understand consistency is the butter that keeps the bread together but how important is it to send out multiple pieces of mail. The reason I am asking is because I am a simple person and would like nothing more than to send only postcards and receive leads vs mixing up my marketing piece which could complicate things. 

But on another note, I do not want to miss out on valuable leads because I chose not to mix up my marketing piece. I am targeting tax delinquencies if this helps. 

@Michael Q. 

@Sharon Vornholt  

I'm curious on how your direct mail campaign turned out. Did you start receiving calls?

@Jay Luke  yes. I use a combination of yellow letters, postcards, and typed letters depending on who I am mailing to. I have been slacking on keeping track of which calls come from which campaign so unfortunately I do not have a response rate for you at this time. 

@Jay Luke  -  A lot of marketers mix it up.  I think @Michael Quarles  will tell you that.  I also know folks that send the same mail piece out time and time again that have success.

The type of mail piece wont' matter a bit if you don't mail (it) consistently and that's really the bottom line.   It's critical that you mail consistently.  Michael's company is the one I use and they have choices when it comes to mail pieces if you want to test your market.n Good luck. 

Sharon 

Originally posted by @Fitzgerald Hall :

@Jay Luke yes. I use a combination of yellow letters, postcards, and typed letters depending on who I am mailing to. I have been slacking on keeping track of which calls come from which campaign so unfortunately I do not have a response rate for you at this time. 

Thanks for the reply. Have you closed any deals since you started wholesaling? How long did it take for your first deal to come? I'm just asking because I start my campaign tomorrow and I like to see how others faired in their campaigns. 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.