Drive by direct mail letter salutations?

3 Replies

I have been systematically driving for dollars and have collected a significant list.

Two things:

I can go online to the county assessors office to collect the owner's name, mailing address, etc. Do you think that this is a productive use of my time?

OR

I use a generic salutation, run the leads through a series of mailer campaigns and discard the leads that do not produce results. If you think this is a better use of my time, what salutation do you suggest that I use keeping in mind that I have no idea who the owners are?

Thanks, Chris

I've never done this before, but if it were me, I'd do the first option. It makes more sense to me to be contacting the actual decision makers to make the best use of my time! Again though, no experience with this :)

I think it is more productive to obtain names from Property Appraiser, unless house is occupied. If occupied, I suggest tape a letter to the door.

If all of this fails, if house is totally vacant, and has been vacant awhile, put a "For Sale" sign in the yard with your number. If you don't "Smoke Someone Out", at least you will get some new potential buyers for your buyers list. (I suggest "Google Voice" number.) I don't think this is unethical. You certainly aren't going to sell the house. You are just seeking the owner.

~If all of this fails, if house is totally vacant, and has been vacant awhile, put a "For Sale" sign in the yard with your number. If you don't "Smoke Someone Out", at least you will get some new potential buyers for your buyers list. (I suggest "Google Voice" number.) I don't think this is unethical. You certainly aren't going to sell the house. You are just seeking the owner.~

This technique is highly unethical and even illegal, just so you know. If the property is not yours and you are not licensed to sell real estate in the state then placing a for sale sign on someone else's property that is not your own is not the smartest thing to do. If you are licensed to sell real estate in the state then you must obtain the written approval of the owner before placing any signs in their yard advertising the property for sale or risk losing your real estate license and receiving hefty fines.  Even if you "certainly aren't going to sell the house".

Property owners are usually found in public records at the local courthouse. All you really need is the address.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.