Skip to content
Wholesaling

User Stats

Votes
Burt L.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Steamboat, CO
Votes |
How Can I Avoid a Bidding War When a Second Investor Appears Before I Have a Contract?

Burt L.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Steamboat, CO
Posted Jan 4 2015, 11:23

I have been working with a seller about a house that has had their relative living in without paying rent, and the relative has treated the house badly. The owner would like to sell and I haven't been able to see the house as the resident is away and the owner doesn't live locally.

In speaking with the seller, I was told quite happily that now there is someone else  interested in buying the property due likely to more direct mail and that both parties can see the property at the same time; I cringe with each passing mail day at how many more may appear.   

What might be some approaches others use to position themselves better and avoid a bidding war? Some ideas might be not being the first offer, showing solid proof of funds in my own name, a larger earnest money deposit, short closing date, asking if the other offer has an assignment clause whereas mine doesn't,  or not sending a signed offer - as Sean Terry suggests. He explains that when one has a signed offer, its easy to go back and forth getting higher offers. But if its not signed and you agree to sign when agreement is reached you wont be upsold so much.

Any other suggestions on how to better your negotiating position and avoid bidding wars?

Loading replies...