Flagging in craigslist

19 Replies

Hi my friends,

I hope that you are feeling grand! I have create more than 5 Craigslist accounts. Posted some ads yet everything gets flagged. Here is what I am doing, please direct me to the right direction.

MY QUESTIONS :I post in (housing offered, an housing wanted -for sale by owner-) is there certain places I should be posting in? , how to not get flagged? how many times a day can I post? everyday?

- the only place i put my phone number is on the picture that i attach to the posting

- I am using three different versions of posts. Different wording.

- I am using those three versions with each account.

- dont know if this would matter. They all have a link to direct people to a google form that sellers can fill out.

I appreciate your answers my friends . And I hope this question benefits others as well .

Thank you

Haitham Abbasi

What are you posting?  There has to be a reason why you're getting flagged by people.

@James Stevens

This is One of them:

Title :

▶▶ Sell Your house House in 7 Days or Less ▶▶

If you have one property or 50 that you are looking to sell before the end of the year, please call us immediately! We buy houses in almost any condition and any situation. Big houses, small houses, pretty houses, ugly houses, and almost any other kind of house you can imagine.

If you are facing any of these situations, please contact us immediately:

*Foreclosure

*Owe Property Taxes/Tax Liens

*IRS Liens

*Probate or Inherited property that you just don't want

*Rental property that is just too much of a headache

*Damaged property(fire, wind, vandalism, etc.)

Please fill out the form by clicking (or opening in a new tab) on the link below to help us better contact you as soon as possible :

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1oBsL_ACcA-8IgPyhiJSTTusHLloPVFoqNlvH0UZohOE/viewform?edit_requested=true

We will evaluate your situation/property and make you a FAST and FAIR offer.

Call to get a FREE quote today!

I CAN HELP YOU NOW! Call/Text

Tags: Real estate, real estate wanted, house, houses, investor, real estate investor, we buy houses cash. for sale, sale by owner, house for sale, house, foreclosure, mortgage, divorce, taxes, sell, sell fast, bank owned, flip, inherit, for , owner finance, rentals, rental, TLC, handy man special, motivated, flipping, rehab, ugly homes, sell my house, real estate cash offers, back taxes, closing fixer-upper, wholesale, investment, bankruptcy, cheap, seller motivated, need to sell, fast, repairs, equity, rental, sell my home quickly, fast, deals , must sell, buy my house, Probate, property taxes,fixer upper.

Craigslist has gotten much smarter in filtering junk types of posts. I imagine that they would consider your types of ads as junk posts. I would suggest getting rid of the bullet point type of structure - I'm sure that shows up as a flag worthy post right there. 

Perhaps, keep it simple such as 

"I buy and sell homes. Are you looking to sell quickly and easily? I can help, click here for more info" and link to your site. 

It might be that you are simply posting too much too quickly. They'll get you on that. And one trick I've heard of is that they will send you the link of an active post that shows up to you when you click the link but doesn't actually exist. 

Steven J., Will See Real Estate | 240‑394‑5733 | http://WillSeeRealEstate.com

@Steven J.
Ok, understood, and thank you. 
I have more than five accounts that I use. Also i have three versions, and I use those same three for all of the accounts. Does that have an effect? I have been googling how to avoid being flagged, yet there is not a consistent answer? what do you suggest

Hi,

I think people tend to get annoyed when it is obvious that the same person is posting over and over. It makes it hard to discern between ads.  If you are posting too much, that could be why people are flagging you.

Best of luck!

Cydni

It might be competitors. Unfortunately, there are people with nothing better to do that try and ruin others work. I had one occasion where one of my rental ads was being constantly flagged. I was within compliance as far as CL guidelines go. The flaggers were possibly other owners seeking to rent who were demanding higher prices. Keep on posting is my only suggestion. I don't see anything wrong with your ad.

No company avatar mediumJohn Thedford, John Thedford | 239‑200‑5600 | http://www.capehomebuyers.com | FL Agent # BK3098153

@John Thedford is right.  I've had that happen in the past before I had my CL accounts linked to my company name.  (Not saying that that has anything to do with it.  Just saying that once I changed a couple account, it stopped.)  Every once in a while it still happens, tho'  

@Haitham Abbasi

It may be as simple the one constant - the form. I have heard if you use the same website on multiple accounts, it still we be recognized and flagged.

I have posted a good deal on Craig's List, and I still find it an effective way to find buyers and sellers. But I am convinced it's impossible to understand the CL algorithm. I think they change it up all the time. 

I think the problem I have is less people flagging me, the real problem is being auto flagged by the system in the first five or 10 minutes after I post. 

Here is a run down of what I have tried - 

- Many different accounts from many different IP addresses

- All new images

- All new text

- All new properties

- No phone numbers that lead back to me

And still, many of my ads are auto flagged. I go through periods where I get a lot of stuff posted and it sticks, and it's NOT ghosted. Sometimes it works. Other times, 2/3 of what I post is flagged. 

I still do it because I have gotten results through CL over time. It's frusterating though!

Originally posted by @Steven J. :

Craigslist has gotten much smarter in filtering junk types of posts. I imagine that they would consider your types of ads as junk posts. I would suggest getting rid of the bullet point type of structure - I'm sure that shows up as a flag worthy post right there. 

Perhaps, keep it simple such as 

"I buy and sell homes. Are you looking to sell quickly and easily? I can help, click here for more info" and link to your site. 

It might be that you are simply posting too much too quickly. They'll get you on that. And one trick I've heard of is that they will send you the link of an active post that shows up to you when you click the link but doesn't actually exist. 

yes that is called ghosting. they do that. But you can do a CL search yourself for your key words to see if your ads are indexed or not. Usually mine are, when they are not auto flagged. 

Skip the link... Change your wording slightly for each post... Allow 15 minutes between postings... Do this with all of your accounts... Plus Craigslist is something you fly around when ready, you've told a whole story that will not get read, I can promise you that. Keep things simple, catchy title, and method of contact. Just my two cents from doing this with 10 email accounts and some extra research. There is a short book I read with tons of tips about Craigslist. It might be the wholesale bible, I can't really recall though.

Account Closed:
i have done some research about the IP address ... in your opinion do you recommend downloading a software that masks the ip address of your computer?

Here is what i will do . for each account I will have a separate version of the ad. different names, text and everything. what else do you recommend

only thing I have not done reguarly per chaz is to wait 15 min between posts. That's a good tip. 

I would agree that you should get rid of the link to the form.  People are really leery of asking for personal info like your form does.  

Also, I agree that a less-flashy ad that doesn't come across like a hard-sell or spam, would be less likely to be flagged.

@Sue K. :

Sue ! great points. what do you suggest. I understand that everything needs to be simple? how simple? example?

Originally posted by @Bill R. :

@Haitham Abbasi

It may be as simple the one constant - the form. I have heard if you use the same website on multiple accounts, it still we be recognized and flagged.

Could you please provide examples on what a simple post would be. It seems like my lengthy posts are not getting past the flaggers

@Haitham Abbasi   I like what @Account Closed wrote.

"I buy and sell homes. Are you looking to sell quickly and easily? I can help"

Or something like, "I buy and sell homes in any condition, regardless of problems with IRS, foreclosure, probate, etc., and can normally get you cash in a week.  You're welcome to thoroughly check me out.  To start, read my website."

Then put the website address in an image on the page, if a link keeps getting you flagged.

I am really turned off by any asterisks and all-caps, or anything that reads like a late night TV infomercial.  I want to feel like I will like you as a person and want to do business with you, and that you won't be some fast-pitch used-car salesman type. 

I suggest your website also be friendly and calm to look at, and give them information they can click around on and read for a while before making a commitment.  If the site just has one page with a form to fill out, you'll lose them quicker.  Just my two cents from a customer's perspective.

@Sue K. I do not have a website yet. I barely starting. Does that matter

@Haitham Abbasi what about a facebook page?  If you want a different one for just your business, you can create a sub-account.

I'm sure there are people here who are successful, though, who can advise you.  I just wanted to give my two cents worth as a customer.

I wouldn't want to just call you.  I'd want to see a website or facebook page.

At minimum, maybe you could put your photo of yourself on your Craigslist ad?

But, as I say, I'm no expert in what you're trying to do business-wise.