How often do you mail?

5 Replies

Normally I mail out once a month for 3 months. I decided in February to mail out every week. I noticed most of the sellers showed up with 3 of my letters. So I thought what if I hit them 3 times faster to get 3 letters in to their hands faster. It quadrupled my marketing budget. Had a deal come in and fell apart. 

With 4 times my marketing money gone and no deal form it I'm wondering if I should Get a fresh list with new leads or let it cool down. 

I know the standard plan all the gurus teach is to mail out once a month for 3 months and even to mail out once a month till the end of time but what about new houses the pop up?

What do think?

Good question!

The basic issue is, more frequent mailings don't create motivation for the seller if it wasn't there already.  Only time and life situations create motivation, not your direct mail piece.

I hit different groups with different frequencies because they don't all respond at the same rate - varies by type of homeowner:
-- Absentees - Monthly
-- Owner Occupants - Every other month
-- Probate - Every 2-3 months

You cannot create more motivation by mailing more often.  People are either motivated to sell when they receive you direct mail piece or they aren't.

Don't mail weekly.  It's a waste in this business...

I'm actually testing the following. 

Mail day one mail Day 30 switch geographical areas start another geographical area  and mail day one then mail day 30 switch geographical areas. have six geographical areas then repeat.  

For your Geographical areas make sure they're on the upswing right in the beginning of the upswing of appreciation and you'll do great. 

Most of this is going to be all over the phone negotiation so you'll never actually have to be in the city nor meet the seller.  it's an outstanding business model

Originally posted by @Dev Horn :

Good question!

The basic issue is, more frequent mailings don't create motivation for the seller if it wasn't there already.  Only time and life situations create motivation, not your direct mail piece.

I hit different groups with different frequencies because they don't all respond at the same rate - varies by type of homeowner:
-- Absentees - Monthly
-- Owner Occupants - Every other month
-- Probate - Every 2-3 months

You cannot create more motivation by mailing more often.  People are either motivated to sell when they receive you direct mail piece or they aren't.

Don't mail weekly.  It's a waste in this business...

I wasn't looking to create motivation but to build faster report with the seller but also how long of a cool down period between mailing. I'm guessing you mail a list until every one has contacted you. When do you pull fresh leads?

@Michael Quarles

So you're saying that you'll mail to an area 2 times in a 30 day period (1st day and last day). Then you'll mail to a second/third/etc. area in the same 30 day manner. So, while you send mail to the second/third/etc. areas, are you still sending mail to the first area? Or are you hitting each area 1 time every 6 months (assuming you mail to 6 areas)?

Thanks,

Jordan

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here