Direct Mail Best day week months?

15 Replies

I have a question for the seasoned Direct Mail pros on BP. And if @Michael Quarles would be kind enough to weigh in, that would be very appreciated.

It seems well known that from early spring through summer are the busiest months of the year in the RE industry.  But pertaining to Direct Mail for wholesaling, what specifically is the best month. And while understanding the needed cumulative impact of repeated mailings. Still I must ask....

Is one week of the month better than the others ? Or day of week And what about end of year holidays or the effect of other holidays on a DM drop.

Any and all input desired.

Also, why doesn't the  @name highlight work on my cell ? The name doesn't show at bottom.

the best month for buying houses is January.   The best day to send mail is between Monday and Sunday.  

Remember We are in the marketing business first.  

Mix the pieces up and continue to hit the prospect.  

Have a capture system and a presentation and buy a bucket load of houses.  

And most importantly return the call.  

Michael Quarles, 

Thanks for your time. I had no idea January is the best month. That is if you mean that BEST is the same as  BUSIEST. 

Also, you say the best day is Monday thru Sunday. Isn't that the same as every day ? Is there a difference ? Again I do have a beginning understanding of the need for timely, repeated, mixed format DM. I just was hoping that there is a recognized statistical correlation between the time of year &/or day of DM drop and % of responses.

Thanks 

Just mail! We mail out everyweek with out fail. But then again test them! We are testing this week. We dropped 250 in mail on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday this week so we will see. We also did this because I don't want to flood the system on one day.  However I still have people call me a month after I sent them the letter so I don't think it matters. If they are motivated/interested they will call, if they aren't they won't. 

Elliot,

Thanks for the input. I'm dropping 2 sets of 800 this week and next. Will continue every 3 weeks for the first 5 drops. Then backoff to every 4 weeks. 

I was just hoping to scrape the brains of the best BP'ers for any minut advantage. 

When I was Airborne Infantry we had a saying  " All Day Every Day ". Your advice is reminiscent of that. 

BIG THANKS 

Hey Guys,

Hoping to jump in here:

I have a list of absentee owners and properties that owe back taxes for a particular county.  I'd like to create a direct mail campaign that really homes in on the most motivated sellers.  

I think I should go after absentee owners with back taxes of around $2000 or more.  Or do you think I should mail to any property with over $2000 in owed taxes?

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Elliot,

Tell us please, in what way are you testing ? That is what systems are you using ?

I'm going to send yellow letters/post cards to this list.  I have a squeeze page and a dedicated phone number to track leads.  Of course, when I speak with a seller I'll simply ask how they found us.

Originally posted by @Tim FitzGerald :

I have a question for the seasoned Direct Mail pros on BP. And if @Michael Quarles would be kind enough to weigh in, that would be very appreciated.

It seems well known that from early spring through summer are the busiest months of the year in the RE industry.  But pertaining to Direct Mail for wholesaling, what specifically is the best month. And while understanding the needed cumulative impact of repeated mailings. Still I must ask....

Is one week of the month better than the others ? Or day of week And what about end of year holidays or the effect of other holidays on a DM drop.

Any and all input desired.

Also, why doesn't the  @name highlight work on my cell ? The name doesn't show at bottom.

December is usually very busy and hectic due to the holiday -- travel, visiting, outdoor retail buying activities, movies and other distractions etc.. If you absolutely have to mail sellers during the month of december, expect a somewhat low (or lower) response rate.

Originally posted by @Michael Quarles :

the best month for buying houses is January.   The best day to send mail is between Monday and Sunday.  

Remember We are in the marketing business first.  

Mix the pieces up and continue to hit the prospect.  

Have a capture system and a presentation and buy a bucket load of houses.  

And most importantly return the call.  

We know of the repeated touches needed with DM. As well as the chance factor in relation to time of response. So if Dec. is slow, what other factors DM related or not, go into making Jan the best ? 

@Michael Quarles I thought before you said to not mail on a thursay or friday or something like that as they would get the mail on the weekend. But you don't believe that at this point?

@Jeff Fairchild I was making a point of just doing it.  

Certainly there are better days of the week if you can control delivery however I'm finding less and less control available by the post office.  

As an example in my city when I mail to my city I have to drop it at our local distribution center and in the past that was fine.  However now the disctibution center in their wisdom move their sorting function to a distribution center 2.5 hours away. Which means my local mail whether or not it is already sorted for local distribution is still trucked to a sorting center who resorts the mail already sorted to then truck it back to my local distribution center which then distributes it to the local annexes.  

However due to their check and balance system the PO will pull 1:9 drops to confirm weight and if correct and already pre sorted it doesn't truck to the sorting center. Thus it will drop the next day where the other 8 take two more days.  

@Jose Guevarra I wanted to revive this post, because I actually just posted a question in regards to Tax Delinquency list in the forums. I was wondering Jose, how well did you do with that list you marketed to? And if you tune in the forum post I posted it would be nice to hear feed back from someone who done it. Thank you

Cheers,
Sean

@Sean C. I'm very selective about the homes I mail to.  So volume is low.  I haven't quantified it but, I would say 3-5 responses out of 50 mailings over the past 9 months. Actually, I had a call from an owner of a tax delinquent parcel.  He called me about his own home which is in pre-foreclosure.  

@Jose Guevarra That sounds promising, good luck on the lead. I'm planning to send the county of the list I want, should I just say between 2012-2014 late on taxes?

@Sean C. Go with consecutive years of delinquency, at least 3, and a relatively large delinquent tax amount perhaps $15K+(just depends on the area).  These are pretty good indicators that something is financially wrong.  You want to catch them before they go to a realtor(other than you).  

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here