Driving/walking for dollars yellow letter advice needed!

13 Replies

Hey guys,

        Ive been doing a lot of walking for dollars in neighborhoods near mine and I have a lot of addresses that I would like to send letters to, but I have a couple of questions:

1.  Should I mail a letter or would it make sense to maybe tape something to their door or slip the letter striaght into thier mailbox?

2.  I have seen so many ways to word a driving/walking for dollars letter, but I would really like to hear from someone who has actually had success doing it and know what their letters actually said. 

As always, any help is appreciated!  

1. I've heard it said - but have never asked the postmaster - that only a USPS letter carrier can legally put stuff in someone's mailbox. May want to check into that.

2. Don't have anything for you here. I've sent a number of inquiries, all specific to the owner's situation as well as I can determine from research, but have yet to see a reply. Others have had success, however. Perhaps someone will chime in...

Good Morning Marc

Mailings are a "numbers game" You have to mail out thinking your going to get a response rate of 1-4%. Stay after it but be selective of the people your mailing to . Have a target audience in mind. I personally like absentee owners as they are potentially the most motivated people.

Good Hunting!

Larry Foster

Originally posted by @Marc Bracy :

Hey guys,

        Ive been doing a lot of walking for dollars in neighborhoods near mine and I have a lot of addresses that I would like to send letters to, but I have a couple of questions:

1.  Should I mail a letter or would it make sense to maybe tape something to their door or slip the letter striaght into thier mailbox?

2.  I have seen so many ways to word a driving/walking for dollars letter, but I would really like to hear from someone who has actually had success doing it and know what their letters actually said. 

As always, any help is appreciated!  

 You are in the state of investor Ron Legrand.

Research Ron Legrandon YouTube.

My suggestion if you are able to physically go to the owners' door, then a yellow business card in the door jam, or under the doorway is ideal (if you are not putting yourself in danger.) A folded yellow notepad sheet could read:  "My name is ______________, and I would like to Buy your house at

_________________. Please call me back at _________________.

Thanks,

________________

Keep it simple. Congrats on taking ACTION!!

@anthony davis Thank you for the suggestions! @larry f I feel like a driving/walking for dollars letter is a bit different from a DM campaign.  I am planning on a DM campaign at the right time, however this particular question is in regards to me being able to physically deliver a letter to targeted houses. 

I am a newbie just getting underway so I can't offer advice on what the most effective process wb. I CAN however advise you DO NOT put anything into a person's mailbox except through the USPS! THAT is a violation of federal law. Good hunting.

Hey @Marc Bracy .

1) If you feel comfortable, door knocking is a great option because you'll get instant access or information on the homeowner and most other investors don't do this.  If nobody it there, leaving a sticky on the door (inside a screen or storm door so it doesn't blow off) is also a good option.  If you don't have the time for this, then direct mail or a phone call is the way to go.  It really depends on your comfort level and how much time vs. how much money you want to spend.

2) If you decide to use direct mail.  Keep the first message simple and straight forward.  Something like what Anthony posted.  Also, sending creative mailers that stand out will help your open/response rate.

Good luck.

Originally posted by @Justin Silverio :

Hey @Marc Bracy.

1) If you feel comfortable, door knocking is a great option because you'll get instant access or information on the homeowner and most other investors don't do this.  If nobody it there, leaving a sticky on the door (inside a screen or storm door so it doesn't blow off) is also a good option.  If you don't have the time for this, then direct mail or a phone call is the way to go.  It really depends on your comfort level and how much time vs. how much money you want to spend.

2) If you decide to use direct mail.  Keep the first message simple and straight forward.  Something like what Anthony posted.  Also, sending creative mailers that stand out will help your open/response rate.

Good luck.

 Thnks for the tips!  I am certainly open to knocking on the door, although occasionally I am out walking after dark.  Its actually helped me see more unoccupied houses doing it that way!  You might be surprised how many houses are legitimately unoccupied when there are zero lights on after dark.  I go back during the day and take another look generally, but banks keep a lot of properties clean these days so its not just about finding the tall grass and what-not.  Thanks for your reply.

Originally posted by @Jimmy Cantave :

keep up the great job let me know how things go.. Driving/walking/knocking on doors is time consuming..I am pretty sure you will land a deal like that... @Marc Bracy what area in fl 

 I am in the Jacksonville, FL Market.  I've been working hard on my local marketing and it is paying off.  I do a lot of my walking for dollars with my family.  We farm the area that I live in the most so we just started walking my neighborhood and now we drive to the neighborhood we want to walk in and just park the car somewhere near the entrance.  It's actually a great way to spend time with my kids, walk my dog till shes super tired and then go home and get some work done!  

Hi @Marc Bracy - love the comment on walking for dollars with your family. Did this with my 3 kids and wife yesterday for the first time. Was great to get out! My 3-year old is just starting to ride a pedal bike (without training wheels - woot!), so trying to keep her from crashing into everything was a little distracting, but fun!

Good luck to you (and your family)!

Originally posted by @Drew Clements :

Hi @Marc Bracy - love the comment on walking for dollars with your family. Did this with my 3 kids and wife yesterday for the first time. Was great to get out! My 3-year old is just starting to ride a pedal bike (without training wheels - woot!), so trying to keep her from crashing into everything was a little distracting, but fun!

Good luck to you (and your family)!

 Thanks Drew!  Yeah from being a former construction business owner I know the reality of time away from your family when youbare trying to make things happen.  Being able to involve them in any capacity really makes it more fun.   Also, little by little you are developing future real estate moguls(possibly lol).  Good luck to you, thanks for the props!