• Real Estate Investor
  • Midwest City, OK
Votes |
earnest money

Tyler S.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Midwest City, OK
Posted Jun 21 2011, 05:24

When wholesaling, how much earnest money is best to put down with seller and how much should I take from buyer when assigning my contract?

User Stats

Votes
Marcel Umphery
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Baltimore, MD
Replied Jun 23 2011, 23:52

Tyler really good question. It's standard for my company to put down 100 bucks I know some folks that only put down 10 bucks. A monetary consideration must be given to bind the contract.

Now as for our buyers we always collect at least one thousand dollars as a earnest money deposit that has to be delivered in certified funds to our title company.

User Stats

Votes
J Scott
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
ModeratorReplied Jun 24 2011, 02:45
Originally posted by Marcel Umphery:
A monetary consideration must be given to bind the contract.

This is a myth. In a real estate sale, the promise to purchase is considered good consideration and no earnest money is required to bind the agreement.

In answer to the OP, you want to put down as little as possible and you want your buyers to put down as much as possible. It's really that simple.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Joel Owens
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Canton, GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Canton, GA
ModeratorReplied Jun 24 2011, 02:48

Yes no earnest money is required.Now many sellers won't sign a contract without it but that doesn't make it a requirement to be legal.

User Stats

Votes
Mitch Kronowit
  • SFR Investor
  • Orange County, CA
Votes |
  • SFR Investor
  • Orange County, CA
Replied Jun 24 2011, 03:00

What J and Joel said. The "consideration" in a typical purchase agreement is the buyer promises to pay a certain price for the property and the seller promises to hand them the "keys" (deed) in exchange. Of course, there's several smaller details, but this is the gist of the transaction.

The earnest money is nothing more than a token of good faith that you'll hold up your end of the bargain lest you forfeit the funds. It basically gives the seller an inventive to enter into a contract with you which will "lock up" their property for a considerable period of time.