• Wholesaler
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
Valuing 4 Properties - Need Help!!

Brandon Foken
  • Wholesaler
  • San Francisco, CA
Posted Feb 4 2013, 15:07

I'm finally getting some phone calls back from my direct mail pieces and one of my first calls was an interesting situation. The gentleman who called me owns 4 properties all on the same block on 41st Avenue in Oakland, CA. The details for each property follows:

- 4 Bed / 1 Bath SFH - rents for $1,600
- 1 Bed / 1 Bath SFH - rents for $1,200
- 1 Bed / 1 Bath SFH - rents for $1,200
- 3 unit property all 1 Bed / 1 Bath - average rent is $1,200 per unit

All of these currently have tenants in place (so he says). So now my question concerns evaluating this properties. Would I value these properties like a rehabber or would I value them if I were to buy-and-hold? The answer seems obvious, but I want to make sure I'm using the right criteria when determining their value.

I've read so much about how to determine an offer price for a standard fix and flip (70% of ARV - Repairs = MAO) but there hasn't been much discussion on how that differs from valuing a buy-and-hold property. My initial stab is to package all four of these up and attempt to purchase so that rents would be 1% of purchase price (actually slightly higher to allow room for my wholesale fee).

My cocktail napkin math shows that rents equal $7,600. That means in order to get 1% rent, the end buyer would need to purchase at $760,000. If I take a 5% wholesale fee (just throwing out a number) then I would need to get under contract at $722,000.

Obviously there is much due diligence still to be done, but I need to give my prospect a call back this afternoon with a ballpark number to see if it's worth scheduling a showing around the current tenants. Can someone let me know if I'm close or way out of line with my initial assumptions/valuation techniques? Any critiques are greatly appreciated!

User Stats

Votes
Ned Carey
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
ModeratorReplied Feb 4 2013, 20:09

There has been a lot written here about valuing rentals. Look up the 50% rule or the 2% rule. One says monthly rent should be about 2% of the purchase price or higher. (Your 1% means you are paying too much) The other rule says expenses (not including financing) will be about 50% of the income.

In my area I would pay $250K for that portfolio if it was in very good condition. However my area is an exception. Rents are very high, prices are very low.

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Foken
  • Wholesaler
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied Feb 4 2013, 20:44

Thanks for the reply, Ned. Maybe I needed to be a bit more clear in my query. I'm pretty familiar with the 2% rule;however, from reading and experience, the 2% rule doesn't hold up in high value areas of which the San Francisco Bay Area most definitely is a part of. For these areas I've heard that 1% is more attainable and sought after. Is there much experience around valuing properties in a high value area like Oakland? While writing this I'm making an excellent case in my head for the need to find a mentor in this area. Still, any help/insight is appreciated.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Foken
  • Wholesaler
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied Feb 5 2013, 07:43

Morning Bump. Would love to get others experiences evaluating rentals where the 2% rule doesn't work.