• Rental Property Investor
  • Chandler AZ
Votes |
Drunken Driver drove Truck into the Home

Ravi Kiran
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Chandler AZ
Posted Dec 6 2021, 22:12

I just had a drunken driver rammed his Chevy Silverado into my rental home at middle of Friday Night. Thankfully the tenant’s son survived with bruises & lacerations, who was right at the impact point. The truck was fully totaled and the driver survived. Need your inputs & feedback on best way to approach this.

He drove over the side walk…

Drove into the concrete fence wall….

Then rammed into the bedroom exterior wall…3 feet into the home.

It’s a 4 bed 3 bath home

1 bedroom is fully damaged

Adjacent bedroom closet is damaged

Both bedrooms & a bathroom don’t have power

Now the tenant is staying in a hotel (they said they would be claiming on the drivers auto)

Now the tenants are saying they would like to pay only 50% rent until they find a new place. They are going to break the lease. I do understand their concern as the place isn’t fully functional for them.

The driver did have auto insurance (progressive)

I have home insurance (travelers)

Tenant has rental insurance

I’ve already filed a claim through my insurance (travelers) for getting the place ready. Looks like fixing the place is going to take atleast 3 months.

But for loss of rent and tenants hotel expenses, lease break charges etc. How could I get that covered ?

Do I have to file a claim against the Drivers auto insurance or should have to go to my Travelers ? Does drivers auto insurance even entertain these requests from a 3rd party like me ?

Need some of your inputs as to how I should approach this claim. Thanks in advance.

Loading replies...