Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Insurance
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Haley Henderson
  • Investor
  • League City, TX
Votes |
Personal Mortgage & needing LLC coverage

Haley Henderson
  • Investor
  • League City, TX
Posted May 23 2022, 14:06

Hello! 

I was wanting to see if anyone has run into this problem and see if there was any feedback or suggestions. 

My fiancé and I are in the process of purchasing our first investment BRRR property and we are using a conventional loan through our local bank. The program that my fiancé got his pre-approval with our bank (I own our primary residence so we wanted to get a loan in his name) is designed and offered for the purchase of a primary residence. With that being said, we are not allowed to put the mortgage in under our LLC name, it has to be the home owner name for this particular program with our bank.

That being said, has anyone run into this and if so, how were you able to protect yourself through your LLC when you start renting your property? Is there a way we can still use our LLC even though the mortgage is his name and not the LLC?

I understand I need to contact an attorney or CPA, but just wanted to ask on here and see if anyone else had run into this. 

Thank you. 

User Stats

Votes
Haley Henderson
  • Investor
  • League City, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • League City, TX
Replied May 23 2022, 14:39

Should we just do an Umbrella Policy and not worry about the LLC?

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 24 2022, 06:48
Quote from @Haley Henderson:

Hello Haley, from all the information that I've gained over the months made me come to a realization that LLC doesn't protect you for anything. So, I all my purchases are conventional under me or my wife's name. After I close on a couple of more property, I'll probably end up getting an umbrella.

I also spoke to a local lender and he works with plenty of investor and tells me majority of them purchases an umbrella over an LLC. In addition, he also told me it was cheaper when it came to tax time.

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
John Mocker#1 Insurance Contributor
  • Insurance Agent
  • Norwalk, CT
Votes |
  • Insurance Agent
  • Norwalk, CT
Replied May 24 2022, 07:35

Haley,

Regardless of whether or not you change to an LLC, and umbrella policy is a good idea. A personal umbrella is designed give you an additional layer of Liability coverage (usually in increments of 1 million) over the Liability coverage on your homeowners, personal auto policy, and rented dwelling policy. If the rental is owned in an LLC you need to makes sure that it is listed on the umbrella. If you are renovating the property first you will probably be under a renovation Builders Risk policy (commercial policy). It may have Liability included or that may be a sepparate policy. You should check to see if the personal umbrella will cover over that Liability.

User Stats

Votes
Jesus Roman
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Houston, TX
Replied May 24 2022, 09:17

Hey Haley,

If the loan is going to be under your name you will be better off just going with an umbrella policy. At least here in Texas LLC's arent as protecting as people think it is. In the case a bad scenario happens judges do have the right to go after you directly as well.. so my suggestion is to focus on the umbrella policy for protection. Hope this helps!

User Stats

Votes
Nicole Heasley Beitenman
Pro Member
#5 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Youngstown, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Youngstown, OH
Replied May 24 2022, 09:40

It's just one property. The veil is pretty easy to pierce. Get good insurance, call it a day, and then start interviewing attorneys to discuss different options to pursue as you grow.

User Stats

Votes
Jason Bott
Pro Member
#2 Insurance Contributor
  • Insurance Agent
  • Nationwide
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Insurance Contributor
  • Insurance Agent
  • Nationwide
Replied May 24 2022, 11:06

Hello! 

I was wanting to see if anyone has run into this problem and see if there was any feedback or suggestions. 

My fiancé and I are in the process of purchasing our first investment BRRR property and we are using a conventional loan through our local bank. The program that my fiancé got his pre-approval with our bank (I own our primary residence so we wanted to get a loan in his name) is designed and offered for the purchase of a primary residence. With that being said, we are not allowed to put the mortgage in under our LLC name, it has to be the home owner name for this particular program with our bank.

That being said, has anyone run into this and if so, how were you able to protect yourself through your LLC when you start renting your property? Is there a way we can still use our LLC even though the mortgage is his name and not the LLC?

I understand I need to contact an attorney or CPA, but just wanted to ask on here and see if anyone else had run into this. 

Thank you. 

Haley, this is a very common issue.  We see our clients do 1 of 2 things;

1)  Keep title in their name and purchase an Umbrella

2) Close in your name and then quick claim the deed to the LLC.

With #2, many beginning investors are scared the loan will be called, but I have yet to see that happen.

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 28 2022, 22:29
Quote from @Luyen Nguyen:

Hello Haley, from all the information that I've gained over the months made me come to a realization that LLC doesn't protect you for anything. So, I all my purchases are conventional under me or my wife's name. After I close on a couple of more property, I'll probably end up getting an umbrella.

I also spoke to a local lender and he works with plenty of investor and tells me majority of them purchases an umbrella over an LLC. In addition, he also told me it was cheaper when it came to tax time.

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 28 2022, 22:31
Hi Luyen
Your comment that "LLC doesn't protect you for anything" is very interesting. Could you please expand on that? Is that true in all situations? For example, do different states have different types of protections? Or does it matter how many properties the LLC owns?