How to manage a legal non-conforming property?

1 Reply

We are buying a legal non-conforming property (two homes attached by a garage). How do we insure this property? We are still working on getting the zoning grandfathered in, so if it doesn’t go through how would we deal with it then? The tenant leases that we are inheriting show two separate addresses and there are separate meters for everything aside the water line.

Thank you!

Your agent will need to discuss it with their underwriters. The companies will probably vary on how they want to insured it. It is very similar to a side by side 2 family that has separate deeds.

One optional coverage I would suggest discussing with the agent is "Ordinance & Law". This coverage deals with changes in the building codes that would cause the rebuilding cost of a house to increase.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here