Looking for Section 8 Mentor/Coach for Long-Distance Investing

Looking for Section 8 Mentor/Coach for Long-Distance Investing

Member since 2021 · 33 posts · 10 votes

Hi BP Community,

I’m working on building a long-distance Section 8 rental portfolio, specifically in the Midwest with properties under $100K. I’ve studied the basics and have some experience, but my biggest challenge is connecting with the right lenders and property management companies to make it work smoothly from a distance.

Does anyone here know of a good Section 8–focused mentor/coach who can work one-on-one or provide guidance? I’d especially appreciate recommendations for people who understand long-distance systems and voucher demand in Midwest markets.

Thanks in advance for any leads—I know this community always comes through with great connections.

Best,
Juan Carlos Flores

3Reply
208 views

Most Popular Reply

Stuart UdisPro Member
Attorney · Philadelphia · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
1y

@Juan Carlos Flores Garcia I would consider other investment strategies. The coach, property management company and lender are likely the only parties to generate sustained profitability. It's very difficult to absorb the costs associated with owning sub $100K real estate, particularly when you are exclusively reliant on 3rd parties. Rarely does the spreadsheets pro-forma you are likely relying upon accurately depict the true costs of ownership.

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Stuart UdisPro Member
    Attorney · Philadelphia · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    @Juan Carlos Flores Garcia I would consider other investment strategies. The coach, property management company and lender are likely the only parties to generate sustained profitability. It's very difficult to absorb the costs associated with owning sub $100K real estate, particularly when you are exclusively reliant on 3rd parties. Rarely does the spreadsheets pro-forma you are likely relying upon accurately depict the true costs of ownership.

  • Diego AlvaradoBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Flower Mound, TX · Member since 2016 · 296 posts · 139 votes
    1y

    Hi @Juan Carlos Flores Garcia this is always the best way to begin your journey is finding a coach.

    Now for your strategy, it will be really challenging. I worked with section 8 time to time and I haven't found a property management company that wanted to take the risk. I am sure there are but I didn't find them.

    HUD registration is not that difficult but property will run into more inspections and maintenance schedule that a normal one.

    I hope you find a mentor / coach but if you want additional information for the local market let me know.

  • Tulsa ok · Member since 2025 · 84 posts · 60 votes
    1y

    @Juan Carlos Flores Garcia

    ive worked with  section 8 a couple of times and I will not do it again.  I am on Oklahoma and the process takes a lot of time. Ounce you get a qualified applicant you have to get property inspected which took us 4 weeks to get an inspection then they called some very petty items like outdoor exterior light that didnt have glass on it.  We then had to wait another 3 or so weeks for another inspection. We lost out on 2 months rent waiting on inspections then we got a tenant that lost their hud voucher a yr later and destroyed the property.   But if you do decide to go that direction I would look at bringing in a partner on the deal that is a hands-on operator and likes to do section 8 in market you want to invest in. You be the money and partners manager and rehab guy.  This way you know property is being watched and taken care of  There are people that would want to be part of a deal for a percentage of equity with no cash or debt involved.  Just a thought on a out of state investing.  

  • Member since 2025 · 242 posts · 98 votes
    1y

    @Juan Carlos Flores Garcia  Section 8 can be solid if you have the right team. Focus on PMs with voucher experience & reliable lenders in your target markets. A good mentor helps too - good luck!

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    1y

    @Juan Carlos Flores Garcia DM us to schedule a 30 minute chat to discuss all this, including the basis for the great warning from @Stuart Udis.

  • Brian MillerPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2019 · 58 posts · 45 votes
    1y

    @Juan Carlos Flores Garcia I have helped a lot of clients purchase S8 properties here in the STL market which has been a popular area for out of state investors buying these types of properties. I recommend staying in the $100-$110k price range as those properties are typically more turn key than sub $100k. I have a great PM who handles the S8 process and works hard to get the highest possible rents in an area. If you ever have any questions or want to connect, feel free to reach out! 

  • Real Estate Consultant · Ann Arbor, MI · Member since 2022 · 461 posts · 250 votes
    1y

    Hi Juan from Dallas, Texas-

    You are looking to invest in a Midwest market with section 8 tenants with properties under $100K and strong local property management.

    There are several markets in Michigan that match your criteria where we have excellent local property manager partners with section 8 experience.

    One market we particularly like is Lansing, MI the State capital with lots of job creating development, housing demand, and appreciation.

    To Your Success!

  • Arman AhmedPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2024 · 2k+ posts · 916 votes
    1y

    @Juan Carlos Flores Garcia

    Hi Juan, It sounds like you’re thinking about all the right pieces—lenders, property management, and understanding voucher demand. One thing that really helps long-distance investors in the Midwest is to focus on markets where Section 8 demand is strong and stable, and to build relationships with property managers who handle tenant screening, inspections, and rent collection reliably. Also, consider analyzing a few pilot properties first to fine-tune your systems before scaling—it can save a lot of headaches.

    Happy to share insights from working with other out-of-state investors if you want more specifics.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Juan Carlos Flores Garcia:

    Hi BP Community,

    I’m working on building a long-distance Section 8 rental portfolio, specifically in the Midwest with properties under $100K. I’ve studied the basics and have some experience, but my biggest challenge is connecting with the right lenders and property management companies to make it work smoothly from a distance.

    Does anyone here know of a good Section 8–focused mentor/coach who can work one-on-one or provide guidance? I’d especially appreciate recommendations for people who understand long-distance systems and voucher demand in Midwest markets.

    Thanks in advance for any leads—I know this community always comes through with great connections.

    Best,
    Juan Carlos Flores


     Holla!

  • Min ZhangBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    That’s a solid plan, Juan Carlos. Section 8 can definitely be a great way to build steady cash flow if you’ve got the right systems and people in place. From my own experience, the biggest difference maker is having lenders who understand smaller rental deals and property managers who already know the ins and outs of Section 8 such as inspections, rent adjustments, and communication with tenants.

    For mentorship, I don’t know of one “go-to” person, but I’ve found a lot of value connecting with other landlords who already run voucher units and through BP meetups and local REIAs. Sometimes the best coaching comes from those actually doing it day to day and willing to share their playbook.

    Are you hoping for someone hands-on to walk through your first deal with you, or more of an ongoing accountability/strategy partner? That might help narrow the search.

  • Dylan TanakaPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Detroit, MI · Member since 2008 · 455 posts · 178 votes
    1y

    Quote from @Juan Carlos Flores Garcia:

    Hi BP Community,

    I’m working on building a long-distance Section 8 rental portfolio, specifically in the Midwest with properties under $100K. I’ve studied the basics and have some experience, but my biggest challenge is connecting with the right lenders and property management companies to make it work smoothly from a distance.

    Does anyone here know of a good Section 8–focused mentor/coach who can work one-on-one or provide guidance? I’d especially appreciate recommendations for people who understand long-distance systems and voucher demand in Midwest markets.

    Thanks in advance for any leads—I know this community always comes through with great connections.

    Best,
    Juan Carlos Flores

    @Juan Carlos Flores Garcia if you're still searching for a Section 8 Coach in the Mid-West DM me for a connection (not me btw)

  • Member since 2021 · 33 posts · 10 votes
    1y

    ok im interested

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.