Whats more important: $100,000 or 10,000 calls?

Whats more important: $100,000 or 10,000 calls?

Real Estate Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 405 posts · 131 votes

With about 2 weeks to go in the year, Have you considered what your goals are for next year?  Have you reached your goals for 2024? It has taken the last 6 months of the year to come to terms with an essentially game changing mindset: 

"Track the input and let the effort determine the outcomes"

Initially I wanted reach a goal of $100,000 in a year wholesaling real estate. By May 2024, I realize the goal was crushing me. I found myself, trying to sell deals, not standing firm on the numbers. Ultimately I wasn't able to contract anything. Desperation begin to set in, almost like the opportunity was fleeing me. Even made 4 or 5 offers that were scoffed at initially, but ultimately sold at that price to another investor. I realized my confidence was lacking.

Around that time, I begin working with an accountability coach and establishing some small goals, embarrassingly small,...5 calls a week. I struggled to wrap my head around, 5 calls a week, at first. Then after a couple weeks the goal moved to 10 calls a week. By the end of June, I struggled to find 20 calls to make.

By July 2024, I decided to try a different approach. I built a list and skip traced 750 addresses. That lead to 20 calls a day, then 50, then over a 100 a day. After a month, my first contracted deal in over 5 years as a wholesaler (own 2 properties 2023/2024). For the next month, I tried to find a rhythm but struggled find consistency in effort. After the first deal closed, something changed.

"Track the input and let the effort determine the outcomes"

This mindset took the pressures of outcome, off the table. This has been my biggest discovery, in life. 

¡¡NOW I HAVE A GOAL!!!

10,000 Calls Made

 Where I started 2024 and where I am finishing, two difference places. My mindset is absolutely stronger because it only reflects my ability to do the work. Life can be many things, can take us many places. If you do the work. For those that may be wondering, No, I DID NOT make $100,000 in real estate in 2024. More importantly, I can start off 2025 with a realistic foundation. In this situation 10,000 calls has been more important that making $100,000 in 2024. But, next year....

2Reply
212 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2025 · 71 posts · 27 votes
1y
Quote from @Joe Villeneuve:

What happens when you make 10,000 calls, and get very little money out of it?  The number of calls you make, are only important if you are guaranteed a specific dollar in return per call.  Are you?

Dollars outweigh calls every day of the week.

To me, what appears to be the problem isn't setting the goals, or choosing the goals, but having a plan of how to get there.  Simply making more calls doesn't guarantee money.  That's the throwing you know what against the wall, and hop0e plan.  Not a plan.  What sticks is based on how you throw it, not how many you throw. 

Your problem is probably your method of wholesaling.


 my rule of thumb is anything over 500 is probably a bad marketing method. If you can't get one in 500, you're probably not reaching the right people. 

See this reply in the discussion

37 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    1y

    Everyone is different.  There are times when you need to network and times when you need to work to get things done.  To me the measure of success (10K calls vs $100K) is how many of those calls resulted in a sale?  If the answer is none, then it is time to re-evaluate the plan.

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    1y

    What happens when you make 10,000 calls, and get very little money out of it?  The number of calls you make, are only important if you are guaranteed a specific dollar in return per call.  Are you?

    Dollars outweigh calls every day of the week.

    To me, what appears to be the problem isn't setting the goals, or choosing the goals, but having a plan of how to get there.  Simply making more calls doesn't guarantee money.  That's the throwing you know what against the wall, and hop0e plan.  Not a plan.  What sticks is based on how you throw it, not how many you throw. 

    Your problem is probably your method of wholesaling.

    • Member since 2025 · 71 posts · 27 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Joe Villeneuve:

      What happens when you make 10,000 calls, and get very little money out of it?  The number of calls you make, are only important if you are guaranteed a specific dollar in return per call.  Are you?

      Dollars outweigh calls every day of the week.

      To me, what appears to be the problem isn't setting the goals, or choosing the goals, but having a plan of how to get there.  Simply making more calls doesn't guarantee money.  That's the throwing you know what against the wall, and hop0e plan.  Not a plan.  What sticks is based on how you throw it, not how many you throw. 

      Your problem is probably your method of wholesaling.


       my rule of thumb is anything over 500 is probably a bad marketing method. If you can't get one in 500, you're probably not reaching the right people. 

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    1y

    @Jamie Parker

    Appreciate the effort and plan you are taking - it part of every plan is to re evaluate to move forward

    How much time have you spent compared to how much have you made? Yes starting out there is a low dollar per hour but at some point it needs to be worth the while - as you could be spending that time doing something more profitable.

    Not saying to give up by any stretch just saying make sure to re evaluate consistently to put the best strategy together

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Real Estate Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 405 posts · 131 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Theresa Harris:

    Everyone is different.  There are times when you need to network and times when you need to work to get things done.  To me the measure of success (10K calls vs $100K) is how many of those calls resulted in a sale?  If the answer is none, then it is time to re-evaluate the plan.

    1 deal closed (September 2024)

    1 deal scheduled to close 23 December,

    2 deals look to start off 2025 in a better position.

    5 dispos are rural property

    30+ follow-ups 

    I didn’t hit the goal. That’s just the truth but all isn’t lost:

    - Created actionable steps, Created a system that can actually produce the desired outcome. Most importantly doing the work and being accountable to the work can help make sense of; how the goal was attained and how to duplicate it. 

    Sidenote: business analytics, MBA, so also this has been an opportunity to tell the story with data. (If the 23 Dec closes, that’s one story. If not, that’s another story) 

    No smoke and no mirrors. No course to sell. Getting started is ugly and can be down right embarrassing. Work ethic and accountability to the work is more important than the outcome. 

    To your point, on December 31, the plan for 2025 will be solidified or revised based on 6 months of committed action. 



  • Real Estate Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 405 posts · 131 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Joe Villeneuve:

    What happens when you make 10,000 calls, and get very little money out of it?  The number of calls you make, are only important if you are guaranteed a specific dollar in return per call.  Are you?

    Dollars outweigh calls every day of the week.

    To me, what appears to be the problem isn't setting the goals, or choosing the goals, but having a plan of how to get there.  Simply making more calls doesn't guarantee money.  That's the throwing you know what against the wall, and hop0e plan.  Not a plan.  What sticks is based on how you throw it, not how many you throw. 

    Your problem is probably your method of wholesaling.


     Setting a goal doesn’t merely guarantee the outcome by course. The only way to ensure a goal is commitment to the input. I can’t make someone sell their property, some people will not be reduced to a dollar amount. Are my sales skills top notch, no. Do I have the instincts to overcome every objects, no. Have I missed some deals during this process, of course. But if, by whatever course of action, I am not committed to taking the necessary action the goal will never nothing more than a goal. 

    Just for numbers sake, there are some YouTubers doing 10,000 calls, 10s of thousands text messages and 10,000 mailers a month. I don’t have the budget to support but one lead source at a time. Networking at this time can only be done by phone. Fortunately, I have a few contacts to use. Of which I’ve done 1 deal with. I’m not looking to make a living making phone calls, but without a budget, you gotta start somewhere.

  • Real Estate Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 405 posts · 131 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Chris Seveney:

    @Jamie Parker

    Appreciate the effort and plan you are taking - it part of every plan is to re evaluate to move forward

    How much time have you spent compared to how much have you made? Yes starting out there is a low dollar per hour but at some point it needs to be worth the while - as you could be spending that time doing something more profitable.

    Not saying to give up by any stretch just saying make sure to re evaluate consistently to put the best strategy together


     After building my first list. 2 days a week for 2hrs per day got my first deal after a month. That simply confirmed “proof of concept”. It wasn’t a home run, but one on the board.

    Around October, finished my MBA and told my seasonal job I was coming back this season, I was able to lock in. 4 days a week 3hrs a day resulted in a consistent 500 calls per week give or take. Within a month and half contracted the next property. 

    I’m sitting at around a 2% lead rate. Of that 2%, 1% contract rate. Very similar to direct mail but much more cost effective. The only difference, lead generation requires someone to make the calls. For now, that’s the best place to be. 

    May only question now: if I was committed for a whole year, what would the result be? There is only one way to find out. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 405 posts · 131 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Jamie Parker:
    Quote from @Chris Seveney:

    @Jamie Parker

    Appreciate the effort and plan you are taking - it part of every plan is to re evaluate to move forward

    How much time have you spent compared to how much have you made? Yes starting out there is a low dollar per hour but at some point it needs to be worth the while - as you could be spending that time doing something more profitable.

    Not saying to give up by any stretch just saying make sure to re evaluate consistently to put the best strategy together


     After building my first list. 2 days a week for 2hrs per day got my first deal after a month. That simply confirmed “proof of concept”. It wasn’t a home run, but one on the board.

    Around October, finished my MBA and told my seasonal job I was coming back this season, I was able to lock in. 4 days a week 3hrs a day resulted in a consistent 500 calls per week give or take. Within a month and half contracted the next property. 

    I’m sitting at around a 2% lead rate. Of that 2%, 1% contract rate. Very similar to direct mail but much more cost effective. The only difference, lead generation requires someone to make the calls. For now, that’s the best place to be. 

    May only question now: if I was committed for a whole year, what would the result be? There is only one way to find out. 


    I realized I didnt add the splits for results for each address called. At this point there is no need to add the splits for deals done due to only 1 deal closed. Hopefully the current deal U/C closes and posting the disposition splits with $ amount per call, $ per lead and overall cost of proceeding as a cold caller. Even if the deal U/C doesn't close, I will calculate the value based on the one deal at the end of the year. 

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Jamie Parker:
    Quote from @Joe Villeneuve:

    What happens when you make 10,000 calls, and get very little money out of it?  The number of calls you make, are only important if you are guaranteed a specific dollar in return per call.  Are you?

    Dollars outweigh calls every day of the week.

    To me, what appears to be the problem isn't setting the goals, or choosing the goals, but having a plan of how to get there.  Simply making more calls doesn't guarantee money.  That's the throwing you know what against the wall, and hop0e plan.  Not a plan.  What sticks is based on how you throw it, not how many you throw. 

    Your problem is probably your method of wholesaling.


     Setting a goal doesn’t merely guarantee the outcome by course. The only way to ensure a goal is commitment to the input. I can’t make someone sell their property, some people will not be reduced to a dollar amount. Are my sales skills top notch, no. Do I have the instincts to overcome every objects, no. Have I missed some deals during this process, of course. But if, by whatever course of action, I am not committed to taking the necessary action the goal will never nothing more than a goal. 

    Just for numbers sake, there are some YouTubers doing 10,000 calls, 10s of thousands text messages and 10,000 mailers a month. I don’t have the budget to support but one lead source at a time. Networking at this time can only be done by phone. Fortunately, I have a few contacts to use. Of which I’ve done 1 deal with. I’m not looking to make a living making phone calls, but without a budget, you gotta start somewhere.

    Your first sentence says it all.  The next sentence should be a question.  "what am I doing wrong, and what should I be doing differently?"  You seem to keep going back to number of calls for some reason.  Forget the number of calls. as a goal.  You mentioned in this post that you don't have time/money to do the  quantities others are doing.  Nobody does.
    I sill tell you this, the reason why others that are successful might be doing 10,000 calls isn't because they are focusing on the number of calls.  They do that many because they have a successful system that allows them to do that many.  The number isn't a goal, it's a result.
    So, what's you system?  
    First, where/how are you getting these numbers to call?
    Second, when they answer the phone, what happens next,...from your end, not there's?
    • Real Estate Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 405 posts · 131 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Joe Villeneuve:
      Quote from @Jamie Parker:
      Quote from @Joe Villeneuve:

      What happens when you make 10,000 calls, and get very little money out of it?  The number of calls you make, are only important if you are guaranteed a specific dollar in return per call.  Are you?

      Dollars outweigh calls every day of the week.

      To me, what appears to be the problem isn't setting the goals, or choosing the goals, but having a plan of how to get there.  Simply making more calls doesn't guarantee money.  That's the throwing you know what against the wall, and hop0e plan.  Not a plan.  What sticks is based on how you throw it, not how many you throw. 

      Your problem is probably your method of wholesaling.


       Setting a goal doesn’t merely guarantee the outcome by course. The only way to ensure a goal is commitment to the input. I can’t make someone sell their property, some people will not be reduced to a dollar amount. Are my sales skills top notch, no. Do I have the instincts to overcome every objects, no. Have I missed some deals during this process, of course. But if, by whatever course of action, I am not committed to taking the necessary action the goal will never nothing more than a goal. 

      Just for numbers sake, there are some YouTubers doing 10,000 calls, 10s of thousands text messages and 10,000 mailers a month. I don’t have the budget to support but one lead source at a time. Networking at this time can only be done by phone. Fortunately, I have a few contacts to use. Of which I’ve done 1 deal with. I’m not looking to make a living making phone calls, but without a budget, you gotta start somewhere.

      Your first sentence says it all.  The next sentence should be a question.  "what am I doing wrong, and what should I be doing differently?"  You seem to keep going back to number of calls for some reason.  Forget the number of calls. as a goal.  You mentioned in this post that you don't have time/money to do the  quantities others are doing.  Nobody does.
      I sill tell you this, the reason why others that are successful might be doing 10,000 calls isn't because they are focusing on the number of calls.  They do that many because they have a successful system that allows them to do that many.  The number isn't a goal, it's a result.
      So, what's you system?  
      First, where/how are you getting these numbers to call?
      Second, when they answer the phone, what happens next,...from your end, not there's?

       After 8 months of hacking at it, I have a real answer. Offers. Making more offers is the gap that I have to close. Taking the first "No" in conversation will result in speed running a list. Getting in the habit of overcoming "No" leaves room for more possibility.

      In terms of systems. Being honest I dont have anything I would call a system at this time. Call, track and follow up is all I got for now. Within that simple framework, an additive measure is increasing opportunity to make offers. 

      Secondly, Networking and meeting with other investors in my area. That could help out also. I havent done much of either at this point. but thats what happens next. 


      I get my numbers skipped traced on Fiverr. I get the list from county records. When they answer the phone I ask have they considered or are considering selling their property. Thats all I got locked in so far. 

    • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
      Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Jamie Parker:
      Quote from @Joe Villeneuve:
      Quote from @Jamie Parker:
      Quote from @Joe Villeneuve:

      What happens when you make 10,000 calls, and get very little money out of it?  The number of calls you make, are only important if you are guaranteed a specific dollar in return per call.  Are you?

      Dollars outweigh calls every day of the week.

      To me, what appears to be the problem isn't setting the goals, or choosing the goals, but having a plan of how to get there.  Simply making more calls doesn't guarantee money.  That's the throwing you know what against the wall, and hop0e plan.  Not a plan.  What sticks is based on how you throw it, not how many you throw. 

      Your problem is probably your method of wholesaling.


       Setting a goal doesn’t merely guarantee the outcome by course. The only way to ensure a goal is commitment to the input. I can’t make someone sell their property, some people will not be reduced to a dollar amount. Are my sales skills top notch, no. Do I have the instincts to overcome every objects, no. Have I missed some deals during this process, of course. But if, by whatever course of action, I am not committed to taking the necessary action the goal will never nothing more than a goal. 

      Just for numbers sake, there are some YouTubers doing 10,000 calls, 10s of thousands text messages and 10,000 mailers a month. I don’t have the budget to support but one lead source at a time. Networking at this time can only be done by phone. Fortunately, I have a few contacts to use. Of which I’ve done 1 deal with. I’m not looking to make a living making phone calls, but without a budget, you gotta start somewhere.

      Your first sentence says it all.  The next sentence should be a question.  "what am I doing wrong, and what should I be doing differently?"  You seem to keep going back to number of calls for some reason.  Forget the number of calls. as a goal.  You mentioned in this post that you don't have time/money to do the  quantities others are doing.  Nobody does.
      I sill tell you this, the reason why others that are successful might be doing 10,000 calls isn't because they are focusing on the number of calls.  They do that many because they have a successful system that allows them to do that many.  The number isn't a goal, it's a result.
      So, what's you system?  
      First, where/how are you getting these numbers to call?
      Second, when they answer the phone, what happens next,...from your end, not there's?

       After 8 months of hacking at it, I have a real answer. Offers. Making more offers is the gap that I have to close. Taking the first "No" in conversation will result in speed running a list. Getting in the habit of overcoming "No" leaves room for more possibility.

      In terms of systems. Being honest I dont have anything I would call a system at this time. Call, track and follow up is all I got for now. Within that simple framework, an additive measure is increasing opportunity to make offers. 

      Secondly, Networking and meeting with other investors in my area. That could help out also. I havent done much of either at this point. but thats what happens next. 


      I get my numbers skipped traced on Fiverr. I get the list from county records. When they answer the phone I ask have they considered or are considering selling their property. Thats all I got locked in so far. 

      Number of offers doesn't mean anything if your offers are weak, or if your offers are give ins in order to get deals.  There is NO number in the world, based on quantity of ANYTHING that will help you get what you are looking for.  The only numbers that matter are the ones that come back to you with $$$ in front. 
      If you went the rest of your life making offers that were not accepted, that isn't a bad thing if in order to get an accepted offer you needed to "give in" to get that offer accepted.  Somethimes, the best deals you make, are the ones you don't.
    • Real Estate Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 405 posts · 131 votes
      1y

      @Joe Villeneuve the reinforcement is beautiful. "Don't give in to get deals". That's how I got the 5k. Also had a 30k deal fall apart. After being resuscitated twice, and 3 price changes. 8 months was just too long for one of the equity partners and bam. 35k isn't 100k but it looks better in a post than 5k. 

      Many of the leads from last year are still available so solving the problem and sticking with it could be the difference. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 405 posts · 131 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Joe Villeneuve:
    Quote from @Jamie Parker:
    Quote from @Joe Villeneuve:

    What happens when you make 10,000 calls, and get very little money out of it?  The number of calls you make, are only important if you are guaranteed a specific dollar in return per call.  Are you?

    Dollars outweigh calls every day of the week.

    To me, what appears to be the problem isn't setting the goals, or choosing the goals, but having a plan of how to get there.  Simply making more calls doesn't guarantee money.  That's the throwing you know what against the wall, and hop0e plan.  Not a plan.  What sticks is based on how you throw it, not how many you throw. 

    Your problem is probably your method of wholesaling.


     Setting a goal doesn’t merely guarantee the outcome by course. The only way to ensure a goal is commitment to the input. I can’t make someone sell their property, some people will not be reduced to a dollar amount. Are my sales skills top notch, no. Do I have the instincts to overcome every objects, no. Have I missed some deals during this process, of course. But if, by whatever course of action, I am not committed to taking the necessary action the goal will never nothing more than a goal. 

    Just for numbers sake, there are some YouTubers doing 10,000 calls, 10s of thousands text messages and 10,000 mailers a month. I don’t have the budget to support but one lead source at a time. Networking at this time can only be done by phone. Fortunately, I have a few contacts to use. Of which I’ve done 1 deal with. I’m not looking to make a living making phone calls, but without a budget, you gotta start somewhere.

    Your first sentence says it all.  The next sentence should be a question.  "what am I doing wrong, and what should I be doing differently?"  You seem to keep going back to number of calls for some reason.  Forget the number of calls. as a goal.  You mentioned in this post that you don't have time/money to do the  quantities others are doing.  Nobody does.
    I sill tell you this, the reason why others that are successful might be doing 10,000 calls isn't because they are focusing on the number of calls.  They do that many because they have a successful system that allows them to do that many.  The number isn't a goal, it's a result.
    So, what's you system?  
    First, where/how are you getting these numbers to call?
    Second, when they answer the phone, what happens next,...from your end, not there's?

    IF someone answers the phone, the goal is to get a contract on the property. I thought it was obvious. wholesaling property requires a conversation with sellers contracting property and closing deals. 

    Focusing on the number of calls is all about action not deals. If you set a goal to loose 20 pounds in a years but do nothing, is that really a goal? Yes its a goal, but there is no accountability to the goal. If you walk 5-10 miles a week as a part of a goal to loose 20 pounds in a year, now you got a goal with accountability that goal. 

    The calls are only a display of taking action towards a goal of making 100k in a year. The 10,000 calls number only became a goal about 3 weeks ago when I realized that I was approaching 8000 calls made. It would be a stretch to reach 10,000 calls this year but I could not ease up here at the end of the year.  We are talking about tracking input. Intensity, commitment and grit for a year that started far from any semblance of direction and accountability. 

    During from late April to June, I called FSBOs from Zillow. While i was able to get make a few offers, tracking that effort was difficult. So when an offer was scoffed at, I would move along and with no follow up method, the property would sale at or near my offered amount. So my numbers are right, my property analysis was correct, but the system didn't allow for any mistakes. I would have to call someone that is extremely motivated to sell and willing to accept any offer despite what they had listed to accept the offer on the 1st call. 

    I build my list from parcel viewer, then hire a skip trace 40$. Now I have a list. The first 40$ netted me 5000$. Not a bad turn on investment for dollar amount, if I am willing to work for free on the calls. After the first list was finished, my workbook got better, tracking the effort is the goal, otherwise I would just call FSBO listing from Zillow every week without a good way to track effort.

    Follow-up, Follow-up, Follow-up. Simple standard sales process.

    "Would you like to sell your property" Yes, Next step

    "I have that your property is a 3bed 2 bath 1200 sqft, on 7500sqft lot, is that correct" Next step

    "Is there anything I should know about the property/ Why are you deciding to sell/ How old was nanna when she got selected to join the Milwaukee Bucks?" Next step

    "If you could sell today, what would you like to get for your property, considering no closing cost, no realtor fees, and as-is condition? 

    Make an offer. 

    Offer accepted, "My I have an email to send you a purchase and sale agreement via Adobe Sign" 

    Offer rejected, put in the follow up bin. If the number are close[100k or less], do preemptive due diligence [water, sewer, stormwater, planning and zoning] if the property is considered for a new build development situation. And follow up with findings and justification for offer. 

    The Goal of 10,000 calls is maybe 3 weeks old because all the effort I have taking. Even if the deal closes I wont make 100,000$. Ill be about half way. But thats with 6 months of consistent, concerted effort.  Moving forward to next year, Im planning 15,000 calls because over 200 calls per day is unrealistic. 61 days of making calls in sitting close to 146 calls per day of calling. I dont like the ideal of prospecting 5 days a week and im a single dad so the weekends are a no-go. 4 days for calling 3 days for follow up and appointments. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 405 posts · 131 votes
    1y

    Update:

    At the 6 month point of starting, I was riding high on momentum. By the 1 year mark, July 2025, everything came to a screeching halt. 

    Year 1 Totals
    Calls: 19979
    Addresses: 4960
    Deals: 1

    1 year of calling for $5,000. Such a letdown, and there is no way to brush it under the rug. A lot of effort and not a lot to show for it. 

    Takeaway 1:
    What is the system used to make calls?
    Before getting into applications and tools,

    What are the steps:
    - Initial contant
    - Filter between "Call again" and "Don't Call Again"
    - "New List"
    - Follow up with "Call Again" in "Follow Up List"

    If they aren't ready yet (not qualified sellers)
    - Mix in with "New List"
    - "New List" "Call Again" Mixed together for "Follow Up" List

    Repeat.

    One part that not fully exercised was prospecting buyers!!

    Networking with buyers is a part of the game that I did not fully capitalize on.

    Realizing this late May and Early June, I was wrong in this approach and decided to pause and reallocate prospecting time to develop buyer relationships with greater intention.

    Day 2 of year 2, this year will be exciting.

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Jamie Parker:

    With about 2 weeks to go in the year, Have you considered what your goals are for next year?  Have you reached your goals for 2024? It has taken the last 6 months of the year to come to terms with an essentially game changing mindset: 

    "Track the input and let the effort determine the outcomes"

    Initially I wanted reach a goal of $100,000 in a year wholesaling real estate. By May 2024, I realize the goal was crushing me. I found myself, trying to sell deals, not standing firm on the numbers. Ultimately I wasn't able to contract anything. Desperation begin to set in, almost like the opportunity was fleeing me. Even made 4 or 5 offers that were scoffed at initially, but ultimately sold at that price to another investor. I realized my confidence was lacking.

    Around that time, I begin working with an accountability coach and establishing some small goals, embarrassingly small,...5 calls a week. I struggled to wrap my head around, 5 calls a week, at first. Then after a couple weeks the goal moved to 10 calls a week. By the end of June, I struggled to find 20 calls to make.

    By July 2024, I decided to try a different approach. I built a list and skip traced 750 addresses. That lead to 20 calls a day, then 50, then over a 100 a day. After a month, my first contracted deal in over 5 years as a wholesaler (own 2 properties 2023/2024). For the next month, I tried to find a rhythm but struggled find consistency in effort. After the first deal closed, something changed.

    "Track the input and let the effort determine the outcomes"

    This mindset took the pressures of outcome, off the table. This has been my biggest discovery, in life. 

    ¡¡NOW I HAVE A GOAL!!!

    10,000 Calls Made

     Where I started 2024 and where I am finishing, two difference places. My mindset is absolutely stronger because it only reflects my ability to do the work. Life can be many things, can take us many places. If you do the work. For those that may be wondering, No, I DID NOT make $100,000 in real estate in 2024. More importantly, I can start off 2025 with a realistic foundation. In this situation 10,000 calls has been more important that making $100,000 in 2024. But, next year....


    You need leading and lagging goals/indicators. 10,000 calls may be a great goal but if the lagging indicator is that brings in $10,000 where as going to five REIA events is a goal and brings in $10,000 which is better? You need to work backwards (EOS is a great way to do this) where you start with your lagging goal of where you want to be, but then you need to understand what it is that gets you there and break it down by quarterly milestones then tasks to get to that milestone (for example if its making 2500 calls a quarter and you do not have phone system or software, that would be a task to keep you moving).

    7e investments53 Reviews
    • Real Estate Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 405 posts · 131 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Chris Seveney:
      Quote from @Jamie Parker:

      With about 2 weeks to go in the year, Have you considered what your goals are for next year?  Have you reached your goals for 2024? It has taken the last 6 months of the year to come to terms with an essentially game changing mindset: 

      "Track the input and let the effort determine the outcomes"

      Initially I wanted reach a goal of $100,000 in a year wholesaling real estate. By May 2024, I realize the goal was crushing me. I found myself, trying to sell deals, not standing firm on the numbers. Ultimately I wasn't able to contract anything. Desperation begin to set in, almost like the opportunity was fleeing me. Even made 4 or 5 offers that were scoffed at initially, but ultimately sold at that price to another investor. I realized my confidence was lacking.

      Around that time, I begin working with an accountability coach and establishing some small goals, embarrassingly small,...5 calls a week. I struggled to wrap my head around, 5 calls a week, at first. Then after a couple weeks the goal moved to 10 calls a week. By the end of June, I struggled to find 20 calls to make.

      By July 2024, I decided to try a different approach. I built a list and skip traced 750 addresses. That lead to 20 calls a day, then 50, then over a 100 a day. After a month, my first contracted deal in over 5 years as a wholesaler (own 2 properties 2023/2024). For the next month, I tried to find a rhythm but struggled find consistency in effort. After the first deal closed, something changed.

      "Track the input and let the effort determine the outcomes"

      This mindset took the pressures of outcome, off the table. This has been my biggest discovery, in life. 

      ¡¡NOW I HAVE A GOAL!!!

      10,000 Calls Made

       Where I started 2024 and where I am finishing, two difference places. My mindset is absolutely stronger because it only reflects my ability to do the work. Life can be many things, can take us many places. If you do the work. For those that may be wondering, No, I DID NOT make $100,000 in real estate in 2024. More importantly, I can start off 2025 with a realistic foundation. In this situation 10,000 calls has been more important that making $100,000 in 2024. But, next year....


      You need leading and lagging goals/indicators. 10,000 calls may be a great goal but if the lagging indicator is that brings in $10,000 where as going to five REIA events is a goal and brings in $10,000 which is better? You need to work backwards (EOS is a great way to do this) where you start with your lagging goal of where you want to be, but then you need to understand what it is that gets you there and break it down by quarterly milestones then tasks to get to that milestone (for example if its making 2500 calls a quarter and you do not have phone system or software, that would be a task to keep you moving).


       That makes sense, EOS breaks down the year into quarters then the quarters into quarters to maintain goal orientation. set a 90 day goal, then track inputs to reach that goal. Tweak and peak if goals is missed or duplicate if goal was reached. 

  • Investor · Costa Mesa, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    $100,000.

  • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    Love the consistency but others have made great points. To only close 1 deal after 19K calls is rough and there is something wrong in your process. It can be a variety but you need to look at every step to see where the fall off is. Are you not contacting good potential sellers? If you do contact is your script able to progress to the next step(offer or walk through)? If you do walk through is your presentation off or are you off on the numbers? If you do get under contract are you marketing these deals well enough? There is so many things to look at but you need to focus on more then just volume. You need to track other metrics to truly fine tune this or I'd do something else that's worth your time. A thought is to join up with a wholesaler(that's established) to learn the ropes, do their calls for them. You can earn money while learning what they do. 

    • Real Estate Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 405 posts · 131 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Caleb Brown:

      Love the consistency but others have made great points. To only close 1 deal after 19K calls is rough and there is something wrong in your process. It can be a variety but you need to look at every step to see where the fall off is. Are you not contacting good potential sellers? If you do contact is your script able to progress to the next step(offer or walk through)? If you do walk through is your presentation off or are you off on the numbers? If you do get under contract are you marketing these deals well enough? There is so many things to look at but you need to focus on more then just volume. You need to track other metrics to truly fine tune this or I'd do something else that's worth your time. A thought is to join up with a wholesaler(that's established) to learn the ropes, do their calls for them. You can earn money while learning what they do. 


      Consistency in the action of calling was the whole point of the conversation. However I like the feed back. Getting deals under contract has been tough. I posted in another form about my numbers. They dont work (65-75% ARV). Watching the market, seeing what is being rehabbed 80-85% ARV. Investors are simply paying more, and I doesnt make sense to me. On the development side, which is most of my prospecting, most of the sellers are simply not realistic about the asking price. 800k for 3 single builds lots when new construction is going for 550-750K in the same area. Maybe they want to sale but not as motivated, it's an interesting dynamic.

      Never like to be the guy to blame the market, so the advice and concepts presented Ill take ownership of and measure accountability of that. Follow up with sellers may yield the fruit of last years initial, 2nd and 3rd contacts. 

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    1y

    There are three things that you must learn, and follow, to get where you want to go:

    1 - Learn how to analyze markets.  Not overall economic markets.  You need to be able to analyze specific micro-markets.  These markets have a very specific footprint/fingerprint that dictates the invest ability of that market.  This analysis will also tell you what your maximum offer should be.  When it speaks, listen, and don't argue...you will lose.  This tells you where to invest.

    2 - Learn ho money works, specifically as it applies to REI. What this will provide is a lead into learning many different REI strategies. Please don't focus on just one. You will lose out on all the opportunities that are out there based on the strategies you don't know. You will also ultimately make bad offers, get bad properties, and rationalize how they are actually good. This tells you how to invest.

    3 - Learn how to develop a personal REI plan...and stick to it. This tells you when to invest.

    All three work hand in hand.  They must work together.  Each depends on the other two for success.

  • Real Estate Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 405 posts · 131 votes
    10mo

    Last Update 100K is more important. I have moved away from purely cold calling. Added PPL and other modes of contacting. Text, Email. Will add direct mail soon. Closed my second deal from my curated list from last year with more to come. Im looking for buyers to work with remotely. If interested reach out. 

    That deal that was giving me a headache closed yesterday. 15K

  • Real Estate Agent · Nairobi, Kenya · Member since 2025 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    9mo

    A powerful reflection, and I respect the honesty it takes to talk about both the struggle and the growth.

    The discipline you built stands out once the pressure of the dollar target was removed. Focusing on the work itself restored your confidence and sharpened your numbers, and ultimately produced results that are sustainable.

    Finishing the year with clarity, momentum, and a measurable process is a strong position to be in.

    Ten thousand calls isn’t just a goal, it’s a foundation

    • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
      Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
      9mo
      Quote from @Jackson Njogu:

      A powerful reflection, and I respect the honesty it takes to talk about both the struggle and the growth.

      The discipline you built stands out once the pressure of the dollar target was removed. Focusing on the work itself restored your confidence and sharpened your numbers, and ultimately produced results that are sustainable.

      Finishing the year with clarity, momentum, and a measurable process is a strong position to be in.

      Ten thousand calls isn’t just a goal, it’s a foundation

      It's a colossal waste of time.  I'm not saying you can't find a good deal or two making 10,000 calls.  I'm saying your time should be better spent looking for quality instead of wading through quantity.  Learn where that quality lies in quantity, then develop a road map to that location (or locations). 
    • Real Estate Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 405 posts · 131 votes
      9mo

      @Joe Villeneuve 23k calls 2 deals $20k. It's 10k calls per deal at this point. Over 100 conversations, found a real estate fund buyer, 20 leads or so I follow up with monthly 4 leads I have followed up with over 6 months, 2 leads over a year now.  My plan is to continue combing the same list of ~3500 addresses. I forgot to mention that 80% or more of my list are probate, inherited property, divorce, or something like that. 

      What I learned, calling all 7-8 numbers can be a waste of time if you don't scrub the list. The numbers that don't work, wrong numbers have to be removed. Doing that cuts the numbers per address down nearly 75% on average. First pass was at 5-6 dials per address second pass 1.4-1.6 dials per address. I also scrub properties that sell from the list. I've  scrubbed the list down to 1600 addresses. I'll continue to scrub the list.

      The Lesson:  cold calling is cheap, I made 20k so far on maybe 400$ in skipped traced numbers on fiver. First deal took 30 days to identify, second deal was identified in 4 months closed a year later. Without a triple line dialer and only a spreadsheet. If you are trying to break into the game, this is a place to start but not the only game in town. 

      PPL on the other hand is starting to look like a hole in the pocket but I'm staying with it. 3 months in nearly 3k spent no deals. I am working my way through 500 leads in TN, MO, OH 

      As of today

      8 contracts sent out.

      4 properties walked,

      15 or so properties comped.

      The numbers just don't work or the properties are in warzones. Not complaining, but the market is starting to shift. How to get to 100k is the focus. I thought 30k cold calls would get me there. 7k cold calls to go(doesn't include PPL).  The need to get into creative deals seems apparent with PPL. Subject to and seller financing is starting to make less sense if continue to fall. Those 2021-2023 buyers are wanting to sell. If they are willing to walk with the down payment plus 10% or maybe 20% there are deals but they want down payment plus 50%-75% and it just doesn't add up. 

    • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
      Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
      9mo
      Quote from @Jamie Parker:

      @Joe Villeneuve 23k calls 2 deals $20k. It's 10k calls per deal at this point. Over 100 conversations, found a real estate fund buyer, 20 leads or so I follow up with monthly 4 leads I have followed up with over 6 months, 2 leads over a year now.  My plan is to continue combing the same list of ~3500 addresses. I forgot to mention that 80% or more of my list are probate, inherited property, divorce, or something like that. 

      What I learned, calling all 7-8 numbers can be a waste of time if you don't scrub the list. The numbers that don't work, wrong numbers have to be removed. Doing that cuts the numbers per address down nearly 75% on average. First pass was at 5-6 dials per address second pass 1.4-1.6 dials per address. I also scrub properties that sell from the list. I've  scrubbed the list down to 1600 addresses. I'll continue to scrub the list.

      The Lesson:  cold calling is cheap, I made 20k so far on maybe 400$ in skipped traced numbers on fiver. First deal took 30 days to identify, second deal was identified in 4 months closed a year later. Without a triple line dialer and only a spreadsheet. If you are trying to break into the game, this is a place to start but not the only game in town. 

      PPL on the other hand is starting to look like a hole in the pocket but I'm staying with it. 3 months in nearly 3k spent no deals. I am working my way through 500 leads in TN, MO, OH 

      As of today

      8 contracts sent out.

      4 properties walked,

      15 or so properties comped.

      The numbers just don't work or the properties are in warzones. Not complaining, but the market is starting to shift. How to get to 100k is the focus. I thought 30k cold calls would get me there. 7k cold calls to go(doesn't include PPL).  The need to get into creative deals seems apparent with PPL. Subject to and seller financing is starting to make less sense if continue to fall. Those 2021-2023 buyers are wanting to sell. If they are willing to walk with the down payment plus 10% or maybe 20% there are deals but they want down payment plus 50%-75% and it just doesn't add up. 

      How long did it take you to make all those calls?
    • Real Estate Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 405 posts · 131 votes
      9mo

      @Joe Villeneuve it's a running talley since started 18 months ago. The majority coming from July 24 to August 25. I maintain cold calling but not in at the same level I didn't during that time. 

  • Investor · Get yourself trained before doing something inadvisable. · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9mo
    Quote from @Jamie Parker:

    With about 2 weeks to go in the year, Have you considered what your goals are for next year?  Have you reached your goals for 2024? It has taken the last 6 months of the year to come to terms with an essentially game changing mindset: 

    "Track the input and let the effort determine the outcomes"

    Initially I wanted reach a goal of $100,000 in a year wholesaling real estate. By May 2024, I realize the goal was crushing me. I found myself, trying to sell deals, not standing firm on the numbers. Ultimately I wasn't able to contract anything. Desperation begin to set in, almost like the opportunity was fleeing me. Even made 4 or 5 offers that were scoffed at initially, but ultimately sold at that price to another investor. I realized my confidence was lacking.

    Around that time, I begin working with an accountability coach and establishing some small goals, embarrassingly small,...5 calls a week. I struggled to wrap my head around, 5 calls a week, at first. Then after a couple weeks the goal moved to 10 calls a week. By the end of June, I struggled to find 20 calls to make.

    By July 2024, I decided to try a different approach. I built a list and skip traced 750 addresses. That lead to 20 calls a day, then 50, then over a 100 a day. After a month, my first contracted deal in over 5 years as a wholesaler (own 2 properties 2023/2024). For the next month, I tried to find a rhythm but struggled find consistency in effort. After the first deal closed, something changed.

    "Track the input and let the effort determine the outcomes"

    This mindset took the pressures of outcome, off the table. This has been my biggest discovery, in life. 

    ¡¡NOW I HAVE A GOAL!!!

    10,000 Calls Made

     Where I started 2024 and where I am finishing, two difference places. My mindset is absolutely stronger because it only reflects my ability to do the work. Life can be many things, can take us many places. If you do the work. For those that may be wondering, No, I DID NOT make $100,000 in real estate in 2024. More importantly, I can start off 2025 with a realistic foundation. In this situation 10,000 calls has been more important that making $100,000 in 2024. But, next year....

    It isn't in making 10,000 calls. It's in making calls to the right people. It isn't as hard as it may seem. But making 10,000 random calls? I wouldn't waste my time. Find a "focused list".
    • Real Estate Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 405 posts · 131 votes
      9mo

      @Ken M. I agree the 20k calls In retrospect were wasteful. I only reached around 5k addresses. After making a few adjustments, scrubbing list and not calling all 8 skip traced numbers. Had I started with the method I use now, those 20k calls may have reached 8k addresses. 

    • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
      Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
      9mo
      Quote from @Jamie Parker:

      @Ken M. I agree the 20k calls In retrospect were wasteful. I only reached around 5k addresses. After making a few adjustments, scrubbing list and not calling all 8 skip traced numbers. Had I started with the method I use now, those 20k calls may have reached 8k addresses. 

      Still a waste.  If it took you 18 months to make those calls, scrub lists, etc..., how many deals did you get out of them?
    • Real Estate Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 405 posts · 131 votes
      9mo

      @Joe Villeneuve as of today. 2. 

  • Developer · Member since 2025 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    9mo

    I work with investors on focused cold-calling campaigns and lead generation, handling everything from list building to seller outreach. I’m happy to walk you through what’s performing well for us currently and how we qualify the leads!

    • Real Estate Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 405 posts · 131 votes
      7mo

      @Account Closed I may be interested is hearing more about that. 

  • Bo SmithPro Member
    Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
    7mo

    The calls for sure. I've seen people blow through 2000 contacts with zero deals because they had no follow-up system. One thing that changed everything for me: track your conversation-to-appointment ratio, not just contacts called. Most people call once and move on, but the real money is in touches 2-7. What's your follow-up process after that first call?

    • Real Estate Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 405 posts · 131 votes
      7mo

      @Bo Smith so far my follow up process is based on the lead. Some follow up is weekly or biweekly but most follow up is monthly to semi annually. And I follow on the same channel I connected with. If I connected on a call I call, with the aim of a face to face. If I connected with a text I text with the aim of getting on a call. 

      For follow-up my goals are:

      Understanding/clarifiying pain points. Getting an understanding of offer/repairs/amount needed. Getting an agreementof timelines and terms. 

  • Bo SmithPro Member
    Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
    7mo

    That shift from outcome to activity tracking is everything. Most people chase the $100k and forget that consistent daily actions compound into those results. One thing I'd add, track your conversion rates too. Like calls to appointments, appointments to contracts. When you see those percentages improving, you know your skills are getting sharper alongside the volume. What's your conversion rate looking like now vs when you started?

    • Real Estate Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 405 posts · 131 votes
      7mo

      @Bo Smith that was my first shift. I set out to hit a 100k goal. Then I realized I was headed for burnout if I didn't understand what it would take to achieve that goal. So I started with the intent of tracking what inputs got me there. Then refine each point along the way. 

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    7mo

    Give me the money.  I can make money with money.  I can waste a lot of time dialing the phone.  I can make one call at a time.  I can take that same $10k and invest it over and over again, exponentially.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.