Protecting properties in the event of divorce.

6 Replies

How does an investor protect themselves and their properties from being ate up in a divorce?

My friend who is a lawyer said that if you are behind $1 (one single dollar) a lien can be placed on any real property in your name.

Does a prenup really offer protection? Can assets in an LLC you own be seized? Would it be advisable for a single person to just avoid being legally married?

The keys to the answers are in your post...

"...any real property in your name." NEVER hold property in your own name if you want to be able to protect it. Hold it in a business entity. LLC is usually recommended.

"... assets in an LLC you own ..." Your LLC should be owned by your personal trust and another entity owned by the trust, not you personally. "Control everything, own nothing."

Talk to a business attorney about business entity structures. I can refer you if you need one.

David J Dachtera

"Success is not a destination. Failure is not an event. Success is a process, failure is a choice."
- DJ Benedict

Promotion
Sundae
Property Marketplace
Find Professionally Vetted Properties from Motivated Sellers
Eliminate the need to hunt for houses again. We bring your next investment opportunity to you.
Originally posted by @Max T. :

Paying child support is always a really good idea.

I believe childsupport laws in my state are unfair and in some cases oppressive. And I am a parent who recieves childsupport, lol. 

Originally posted by @John Anderson:

I don't think an LLC will help you because someone needs to be the owner of the LLC, and I am sure you want to be the owner.

Actually, no - you don't want to own it. You want to CONTROL it, but not own it. Other elements in your business entity structure should OWN the LLC, not you personally.

David J Dachtera

"Success is not a destination. Failure is not an event. Success is a process, failure is a choice."
- DJ Benedict

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you